How not to train for XC race

Status
Not open for further replies.
K

Kent

OK so I read a Tri-athlete mag and realise, (with a thud that I always knew), that I am overweight
for my height. I would like to loose about 14-21 pounds. So if I weigh less - I go faster uphill!!!
Sorted, simple really!

So I started the Atkins diet. Carried on training every other day for 2 Hours at a time after a week
it went to every 3 days. Lost 14 pounds in 21/2 weeks. Gave a pint of blood on the Tuesday and raced
on the Sunday. Started eating carbs 20 hours before the race. Result, 10 out of 14 entered, with 2
retired due to mechanical failure. I have never been so knackered. Conclusion - I Overtrained for 2
weeks, I didn't carb load before the race for at least 4 days and as for donating blood before a
race - W$*@%K!

Remedy - Eat proper food for cycling, if I feel I am over weight then slightly reduce my intake.
Ensure recovery. Do not donate blood before a race.

Think about what I am doing, Dragging my exhausted carcass across the finish line started some alarm
bells ringing.

I still love cycling though!

--

Regards

Kent

"Kent" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> OK so I read a Tri-athlete mag and realise, (with a thud that I always knew), that I am overweight
> for my height. I would like to loose about
14-21
> pounds. So if I weigh less - I go faster uphill!!! Sorted, simple really!
>
> So I started the Atkins diet. Carried on training every other day for 2 Hours at a time after a
> week it went to every 3 days. Lost 14 pounds in
21/2
> weeks. Gave a pint of blood on the Tuesday and raced on the Sunday.
Started
> eating carbs 20 hours before the race. Result, 10 out of 14 entered, with 2 retired due to
> mechanical failure. I have never been so knackered. Conclusion - I Overtrained for 2 weeks, I
> didn't carb load before the race for at least 4 days and as for donating blood before a race
> - W$*@%K!
>
> Remedy - Eat proper food for cycling, if I feel I am over weight then slightly reduce my intake.
> Ensure recovery. Do not donate blood before a race.
>
> Think about what I am doing, Dragging my exhausted carcass across the
finish
> line started some alarm bells ringing.
>
> I still love cycling though!
>
> --
>
> Regards
>
> Kent

14 pounds in 2.5 weeks is a bit excessive. A LOT excessive. figure a pound or two a week, otherwise
you're probably losing both water weight and muscle in addition to fat.

Jon Bond

Kent thoughtfully penned:
> OK so I read a Tri-athlete mag and realise, (with a thud that I always knew), that I am overweight
> for my height. I would like to loose about 14-21 pounds. So if I weigh less - I go faster
> uphill!!! Sorted, simple really!
>
> So I started the Atkins diet. Carried on training every other day for 2 Hours at a time after a
> week it went to every 3 days. Lost 14 pounds in 21/2 weeks. Gave a pint of blood on the Tuesday
> and raced on the Sunday. Started eating carbs 20 hours before the race. Result, 10 out of 14
> entered, with 2 retired due to mechanical failure. I have never been so knackered. Conclusion - I
> Overtrained for 2 weeks, I didn't carb load before the race for at least 4 days and as for
> donating blood before a race - W$*@%K!
>
> Remedy - Eat proper food for cycling, if I feel I am over weight then slightly reduce my intake.
>
> Think about what I am doing, Dragging my exhausted carcass across the finish line started some
> alarm bells ringing.
>

so, did you puke?

;-)

Penny, I have read this newsgroup daily for the past year, so far your punk remark is the
funniest yet.

Dean Stepper Laguna Beach, CA.

"Penny S." <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> Kent thoughtfully penned:
> > OK so I read a Tri-athlete mag and realise, (with a thud that I always knew), that I am
> > overweight for my height. I would like to loose about 14-21 pounds. So if I weigh less - I go
> > faster uphill!!! Sorted, simple really!
> >
> > So I started the Atkins diet. Carried on training every other day for 2 Hours at a time after a
> > week it went to every 3 days. Lost 14 pounds in 21/2 weeks. Gave a pint of blood on the Tuesday
> > and raced on the Sunday. Started eating carbs 20 hours before the race. Result, 10 out of 14
> > entered, with 2 retired due to mechanical failure. I have never been so knackered. Conclusion -
> > I Overtrained for 2 weeks, I didn't carb load before the race for at least 4 days and as for
> > donating blood before a race - W$*@%K!
> >
> > Remedy - Eat proper food for cycling, if I feel I am over weight then slightly reduce my intake.
> > Ensure recovery. Do not donate blood before a race.
> >
> > Think about what I am doing, Dragging my exhausted carcass across the finish line started some
> > alarm bells ringing.
> >
> > I still love cycling though!
>
> so, did you puke?
>
> ;-)

> for my height. I would like to loose about
14-21
> pounds. So if I weigh less - I go faster uphill!!! Sorted, simple really!
>
> week it went to every 3 days. Lost 14 pounds in
21/2
> weeks. Gave a pint of blood on the Tuesday and raced on the Sunday.
Started
> eating carbs 20 hours before the race. Result, 10 out of 14 entered, with 2 retired due to
> mechanical failure. I have never been so knackered. Conclusion - I Overtrained for 2 weeks, I
> didn't carb load before the race for at least 4 days and as for donating blood before a race
> - W$*@%K!
>
>
> Think about what I am doing, Dragging my exhausted carcass across the
finish
> line started some alarm bells ringing.
>
>
> --
>
> Regards
>
> Kent
>
>
....and do they make you wear a helmet when you're a passenger in a car, Kent ?... ;-) But, hey,
seriously. Congrats on finishing a tri (was it a tri race?) against all odds!! Dave.

If I sit in the middle of the back seat I don't have to wear the helmet. No not a Tri race, just XC.
I run and swim for fitness and will do a mini Tri this year with the local Tri club - God help me on
that one. With some of the other comments on this I have to admit that looking back, what I was
doing was a 'little' silly. Still experience is what makes us grow apparently. Certainly wont be
making the same mistakes again.

Kent

> ....and do they make you wear a helmet when you're a passenger in a car, Kent ?... ;-) But, hey,
> seriously. Congrats on finishing a tri (was it a tri race?) against all odds!! Dave.

> If I sit in the middle of the back seat I don't have to wear the helmet.

LOL!

> No not a Tri race, just XC. I run and swim for fitness and will do a mini Tri this year with the
> local Tri club - God help me on that one.

See if the local blood transfusion unit are desperate enough to allow you to donate 'on the run' !
guarantee it'll make the local (and possibly national) press!!

> With some of the other comments on this I have to admit that looking back, what I was doing was a
> 'little' silly. Still experience is what makes us grow apparently.

upto a point ;-)

> Certainly wont be making the same mistakes again.
>
> Kent
>
> > ....and do they make you wear a helmet when you're a passenger in a car, Kent ?... ;-) But, hey,
> > seriously. Congrats on finishing a tri (was it a tri race?) against all odds!! Dave.
> >
> >
>
>
Bottom posting, top posting,,,...uurrghghhh, getting confused now... I can highly recommend unsalted
peanuts and mixed dried fruit. Both unbelievably cheap and highly effective. Like you I run, cycle,
swim (and rock climb and kayak). I find that a handful of each before I set off always provides
sufficient 'clean' energy to get through effectively. I got from one end of the country to the other
on me bike using that as my main energy source.

Cheers,

Dave.

"Kent" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> for my height. I would like to loose about 14-21 pounds. So if I weigh less - I go faster
> uphill!!! Sorted, simple really!
>
> week it went to every 3 days. Lost 14 pounds in 21/2 weeks. Gave a pint of blood on the Tuesday
> and raced on the Sunday. Started eating carbs 20 hours before the race. Result, 10 out of 14
> entered, with 2 retired due to mechanical failure. I have never been so knackered. Conclusion - I
> Overtrained for 2 weeks, I didn't carb load before the race for at least 4 days and as for
> donating blood before a race - W$*@%K!

Well, I can't hardly sit at a desk and work after giving blood, let alone give blood, then race
after dropping several pounds so quickly.

Best rule of thumb for racing preparation (not that I'm an authority, by any means), but it is to
not do anything out of the ordinary to yourself or your bike prior to a race.

Paladin

> > So I started the Atkins diet. Carried on training every other day for 2 Hours at a time after a
> > week it went to every 3 days. Lost 14 pounds in
21/2
> > weeks
. that's fast weight loss, you are lucky you did not pass out during the race.

>>Conclusion - I Overtrained for 2 weeks, I didn't carb load before the race
> > for at least 4 days and as for donating blood before a race - W$*@%K!

Donate blood before the race? I seem to always donate blood during the race!

> Well, I can't hardly sit at a desk and work after giving blood, let alone give blood, then race
> after dropping several pounds so quickly.
>
> Best rule of thumb for racing preparation (not that I'm an authority, by any means), but it is to
> not do anything out of the ordinary to yourself or your bike prior to a race.

Agree. If you have to lose weight, maybe do it a couple of weeks before the event.

"Dave" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
>
> "Kent" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> > If I sit in the middle of the back seat I don't have to wear the helmet.
>
> LOL!
>
> > No not a Tri race, just XC. I run and swim for fitness and will do a
mini
> > Tri this year with the local Tri club - God help me on that one.
>
> See if the local blood transfusion unit are desperate enough to allow you
to
> donate 'on the run' ! guarantee it'll make the local (and possibly
national)
> press!!
>
> > With some of the other comments on this I have to admit that looking
back,
> > what I was doing was a 'little' silly. Still experience is what makes us grow apparently.
>
> upto a point ;-)
>
> > Certainly wont be making the same mistakes again.
> >
> > Kent
> >
> > > ....and do they make you wear a helmet when you're a passenger in a
car,
> > > Kent ?... ;-) But, hey, seriously. Congrats on finishing a tri (was it a tri race?) against
> > > all odds!! Dave.
> > >
> > >
> >
> >
> Bottom posting, top posting,,,...uurrghghhh, getting confused now... I can highly recommend
> unsalted peanuts and mixed dried fruit. Both unbelievably cheap and highly effective. Like you I
> run, cycle, swim (and rock climb and kayak). I find that a handful of each before I set off
always
> provides sufficient 'clean' energy to get through effectively. I got from one end of the country
> to the other on me bike using that as my main
energy
> source.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Dave.
>
Ok Ok, hey! You are posting in the middle of the mail. Right now I am gonna shout. IF YOU ARE GONNA
HAVE A TRANSFUSION MAKE SURE THE RED CELLS GO INTO YOU AND NOT OUT. DONT TOP POST. DONT MAKE
EXCLUSIVE NON HUMAN HABITATS. DOGS SHOULDENT BE ALLOWED INTO FORESTS, WHERE BIKERS AND WALKERS ROAM,
WITHOUT A CORK UP THEIR ****. DOWN HILLERS SHOULD BE MADE TO CYCLE UP HILLS, MAYBE IF THEY GAVE WAY
TO PEOPLE GOING UP HILLS AND DROPPED THE ATTITUDE IT WOULD HELP. CARS SHOULD ONLY BE ALLOWED ONTO
ROADS IF THERE IS MORE THAN ONE PERSON IN THEM OR THEY ARE TRANSPORTING GOODS - LIKE BIKES TO HILLY
AREAS. MY FATHER SHOULD WASH ABOUT 4 TIMES A DAY AND DEODERANT WOULDENT HURT. ARE WE ALL HAPPY!

the views expressed above may not accurately reflect the authors.

Kent

um Kent,...blood dosnt weigh THAT much! lol

you should have kept SOME of the weight for momentum to go up the hills

and all that stuff u just posted, jeez, u have some realy good ideas! i like the one about dh riders going uh....pure genious;)

>
> "Dave" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> >
> > "Kent" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> > > If I sit in the middle of the back seat I don't have to wear the
helmet.
> >
> > LOL!
> >
> > > No not a Tri race, just XC. I run and swim for fitness and will do a
> mini
> > > Tri this year with the local Tri club - God help me on that one.
> >
> > See if the local blood transfusion unit are desperate enough to allow
you
> to
> > donate 'on the run' ! guarantee it'll make the local (and possibly
> national)
> > press!!
> >
> > > With some of the other comments on this I have to admit that looking
> back,
> > > what I was doing was a 'little' silly. Still experience is what makes
us
> > > grow apparently.
> >
> > upto a point ;-)
> >
> > > Certainly wont be making the same mistakes again.
> > >
> > > Kent
> > >
> > > > ....and do they make you wear a helmet when you're a passenger in a
> car,
> > > > Kent ?... ;-) But, hey, seriously. Congrats on finishing a tri (was it a tri
race?)
> > > > against all odds!! Dave.
> > > >
> > > >
> > >
> > >
> > Bottom posting, top posting,,,...uurrghghhh, getting confused now... I can highly recommend
> > unsalted peanuts and mixed dried fruit. Both unbelievably cheap and highly effective. Like you I
> > run, cycle, swim
(and
> > rock climb and kayak). I find that a handful of each before I set off
> always
> > provides sufficient 'clean' energy to get through effectively. I got
from
> > one end of the country to the other on me bike using that as my main
> energy
> > source.
> >
> > Cheers,
> >
> > Dave.
> >
> Ok Ok, hey! You are posting in the middle of the mail. Right now I am
gonna
> shout. IF YOU ARE GONNA HAVE A TRANSFUSION MAKE SURE THE RED CELLS GO
INTO
> YOU AND NOT OUT. DONT TOP POST. DONT MAKE EXCLUSIVE NON HUMAN HABITATS.
DOGS
> SHOULDENT BE ALLOWED INTO FORESTS, WHERE BIKERS AND WALKERS ROAM, WITHOUT
A
> CORK UP THEIR ****. DOWN HILLERS SHOULD BE MADE TO CYCLE UP HILLS, MAYBE
IF
> THEY GAVE WAY TO PEOPLE GOING UP HILLS AND DROPPED THE ATTITUDE IT WOULD HELP. CARS SHOULD ONLY BE
> ALLOWED ONTO ROADS IF THERE IS MORE THAN ONE PERSON IN THEM OR THEY ARE TRANSPORTING GOODS - LIKE
> BIKES TO HILLY AREAS. MY FATHER SHOULD WASH ABOUT 4 TIMES A DAY AND DEODERANT WOULDENT HURT. ARE
> WE ALL HAPPY!
>
> the views expressed above may not accurately reflect the authors.
>
> Kent
>
>
Yup! if somewhat a little deaferer <!> than previously. Good points, well made, I say!

Status
Not open for further replies.