How Often Do You Commute?

Gelsemium

Feb 17, 2015
When I was a student I commuted every single day, sometimes 4 times per day, as I had lunch at home. :) These days is not that often because I walk to work, but when I need to go someplace alone I do grab my bike instead of the car. :)

What about you?

I commute four out of five days normally during the week. On Friday's my co-workers and I carpool because we end up just hanging out at my friend's place. Commuting to work has become a lifestyle for me, so hopefully by the end of the year, I will be able to commute to work all five days!

Reactions: Gelsemium
That's really great, I think commuting with the bike is great because we get to do what we love, we save time and we save money, so it's awesome. Nothing like passing with the bike in the middle of the traffic. :)

I commute 6 days a week, often both to work and to a dance class or to run errands. I don't have any long distances, just 1-2 mile routes, but it adds up to quite a few miles per week. It keeps me in great shape though, so definitely worth it.

Now I envy you, but I try to use the bike at least once or twice per week. Usually I can only do it at the weekends because during the week I simply have no time for it.

I used to cycle commute to work 5 days a week (15 miles round trip), ride with my husband on the 6th day and have the 7th day as a total rest day (no exercise, not even walking around the shops!) I did that for 7 years.

Then I went off to cycle around the world, so life changed a touch. :D

Coming back I changed to a domestic commute (supporting my parents, one of whom ended up in a wheelchair temporarily) and my commute became 3 times a week, 22 miles each way. I rode on the in between days, shopping, doctors (all 13 miles round trips) and very occasionally leisure rides (50-100 milers). Sometimes I rode out to meet my husband from work which would be a 25 mile round trip and we would cycle 1 day at the weekend as well, usually a 65 miler. I did that for nearly 3 years - needless to say I wracked up the miles!

5 months ago life changed and I no longer commute and am only just starting to cycle again. I'm not even certain if I will ever work again, but we will deal with that when it happens.

There endeth my commuting career. :p

So, I hope it has changed for the best?

Either cases, as long as you can cycle that's a good thing, commuting is good of course because it's healthy and we do save money while doing it.

I usually commute twice a day. I do not think that there can be any better than to a bike for commuting. It is really important to commute in safety. And it is also healthy to use a bike

When I lived in California I use to commute almost every day, but the distance was short like around 3 1/2 miles. Since I moved to Indiana about 13 years ago I don't commute as much as I use to because I now have 5 months of winter, then there's rainy days, so I don't ride to work much at all but I do have more time to ride the bike after work (when the season starts up) since I no longer do 50+ hours a week at work.

In California after work I usually took a detour home, upwards to 40 or so miles.

Connie858 said:
I used to cycle commute to work 5 days a week (15 miles round trip), ride with my husband on the 6th day and have the 7th day as a total rest day (no exercise, not even walking around the shops!) I did that for 7 years.

Then I went off to cycle around the world, so life changed a touch. :D

Coming back I changed to a domestic commute (supporting my parents, one of whom ended up in a wheelchair temporarily) and my commute became 3 times a week, 22 miles each way. I rode on the in between days, shopping, doctors (all 13 miles round trips) and very occasionally leisure rides (50-100 milers). Sometimes I rode out to meet my husband from work which would be a 25 mile round trip and we would cycle 1 day at the weekend as well, usually a 65 miler. I did that for nearly 3 years - needless to say I wracked up the miles!

5 months ago life changed and I no longer commute and am only just starting to cycle again. I'm not even certain if I will ever work again, but we will deal with that when it happens.

There endeth my commuting career. :p

Very similar. Cycling is the only way I commute which I do 5 days a week & I also use a bike to get to places I'm going for leisure purposes. However no riding around the world so life didn't change at all... :(

I don't commute at all right now. As soon as I can make the 18 mile trip to town I'll be commuting 5 days a week.

What do you mean kana, you are preparing to make 18 miles per day twice? It's a relatively long distance, but if you don't have many ups and downs it's easily doable.

I do a lot more driving than cycling, so I can't say that I really commute at all these days. I used to commute a bit by bicycle in my teens, and that was a lot of fun, though it wasn't the fastest way to get around. Perhaps I should start commuting a couple days per week. Otherwise, I do find plenty of time to cycle for leisure or exercise on the mountain paths/trails.

Last September I started commuting and ever so often felt like that I ride through the town a thousand times.

The only downside about commuting with bicycle is the traffic and the constant sweating. So I would always arrive to a place earlier so I can cool off and catch my breath.

Not often, but I did used to commute daily. I used to work in an office building in a different part of town and I was commuting every day until I started working remotely from home. Now I just sit at home and do my thing, unless I'm invited to attend a meeting or something like that, then I sit on my bike and stroll to the work.

I commute almost every day. I don't drive and my boyfriend takes the car to work anyway so it's that or walking. It's a pretty short ride though, I work from home so my commute is the gym, the grocery store, and my various doctor's appointments. Everything is within 5 km or so I can barely call it a real commute :p

It has been two years since I did that. I used to commute five days per week on my way to work. Nowadays I just drive to work alone in my car.

I commute almost daily. However on days when I know that I need to buy some heavy stuff or that we(friends) may have to go out to someplace after work, I drive. Otherwise, I always commute on a bike, its healthier, and keeps me fresh at work..

I actually drive a car in going to work. And although I love the idea of commuting, it is not practical for a tropical country much more if you consider the pollution and the dusty roads. Most riders I see are sweating and maybe the dust have been sticking on their wet skin. How can I work in the office in a condition like that? Besides, riding to work is not that safe without a bike lane on the main roads.

Well, we commute sometimes, since we have a baby with us. We usually take the car when we're going to the mall or to the church. But if it's just me, doing some errands or tasks, I'd commute or take my bike. Commuting here means taking public transportation which can be a tricycle, a bus or a jeepney. But it's also easier to just take my bike since it doesn't cost any money and the trips are very short distances.