How often do you get close to touching your "max"?

On 2004-06-28, Paul Southworth <[email protected]> wrote:
> What do you mean by "crappy"? It seems unlikely that you
> were doing anything dangerous if you are a reasonably
> healthy person.

Well, I'm out of shape right now, for me. So I just felt light-
headed, like I was pushing myself a little too hard.

> My own observed max over the last year was 193, and I
> regularly ride up into the 180s without ill effect but
> probably don't hit that max number very often. If
> endurance riding is the goal then doing a lot of work at
> the max is not really necessary anyway.
>
> So you reaching 181 doesn't sound crazy to me although it
> might make your lungs hurt.

Okay. Yeah, I don't try to get that high. It just happened.
I feel better about it now. Having anxiety certainly
doesn't help. :)

>>B) If you hit it do you generally consider that
>> "dangerous" or just not something that's advisable to
>> do very often?
>
> When you start seeing spots and feel like you're going to
> pass out, or have trouble getting enough air, that would
> be the limit for a healthy person. Of course a person with
> an aneurism would be a different case.
>
> If you don't know how healthy you are, get your doctor to
> prescribe a stress EKG, preferably on a bike.

I've had those tests before. Running, not bike, which I
didn't like. But everything turned up fine. Of course, that
was like 3 years ago. I'm hoping things can't go downhill
too bad in less than a year, which is roughly the time I've
been less active.

Preston

http://www.runningtimes.com/issues/01janfeb/heartrate.htm