How often must you tune up your bike?

Puffnfresh

Guest
What's a good time period for maintenance on a mountain bike?

puffnfresh <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> What's a good time period for maintenance on a mountain bike?

When it isn't performing optimally.

It depends on how and where you ride it. I usually have to do minor tuning on my mountain bike once
a week or so, mainly because the derailleurs get a little out of whack. I have never had to do any
tuning after a road ride. But just a road ride is rare for me.

Phil wrote:
> puffnfresh <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
>
>>What's a good time period for maintenance on a mountain bike?
>

> When it isn't performing optimally.
>
> It depends on how and where you ride it. I usually have to do minor tuning on my mountain bike
> once a week or so, mainly because the derailleurs get a little out of whack. I have never had to
> do any tuning after a road ride. But just a road ride is rare for me.

I make a point of having my street bike looked at once a week by the same repair guy who always
repairs my bike, in addition to the occasional oh **** moment where I end up going to J Random
Repair Guy.

Of course, I live in Asia, and can think of six bicycle repair places within one kilometer of
my school.

If I were in the US and riding as much as I do over here, I'd probably just learn how to maintain it
myself but I'd give it the same once a week check.

If it is a mountain bike, it would just make sense to give it a relatively thorough checking over
before you plan to be putting it under significant stress.

-M