How Often should a bike be tuned up?

anthony_ng15

May 24, 2004
Hi, i was just wondering how often a bike should be tuned up? are there a certain # of km's before it should be done?

THanks.

anthony_ng15 said:
Hi, i was just wondering how often a bike should be tuned up? are there a certain # of km's before it should be done?

THanks.
I Service my bike after every ride,I wash it down,clean the chain and do a visual on all the moving parts,If there was some dificulty on chainging gears not due to dirt it may need adjustment or new cable,i check the brakes for wear and the chainring and cluster teeth.
The LBS recomends a service to your bike once a year but this depends on how often you ride,a working bike seems to do better than a standing bike,but again depending on how hard you play.
In three years i have gone thhrough 3 chains,two clusters ,a middle chain ring,3BB'S,Two rear shocks,3 sets of brake pads,countless cables,about a dozen spokes,front shock repaired and serviced twice and a cracked swing arm.
But i do believe in the saying if it's not broke don't fix it.

Well, I check my bike every other tide or if I'm going for a long ride then I'll tune it up just to be sure that everythings fine. You should always check your bike before you ride just to be safe.

I don’t know what you mean by tune up of the bike. For me, as long as the bike is in good running condition then there’s no need for a tune up. When the tire looks soft, I will have the pump fix that. But for other problems like the loose chain, I couldn’t do that myself and I have to bring the bike to the nearby mechanic. I know that it is more enjoyable to ride when you feel that your bike is in good condition. However, as I said, when nothing is wrong then there’s nothing to worry about.

Normally after using your bike for a long ride you need to tune it up because some of the parts gets loose and you gave to tighten it again. Tires are also a factor as well as alignment.

I don't bike for long miles anymore, so I just do it every other day on my regular rides, and right after when going for much longer rides.

Ah, the age-old question of tune-up frequency! There's no one-size-fits-all answer, but a good rule of thumb is every 500-1000 miles for regular maintenance. For those Pyrenees-conquering types, think 3-6 months or 1500 miles, whichever comes first. You'll want to check your drivetrain, wheels, brakes, and inspect for any wear and tear. No hard and fast rules here, just tender loving care for your trusty steed! ;)

Oh, so you're asking about bike maintenance now? How quaint. Let me guess, you bought a cheap bike from a department store and think it's going to last forever without any upkeep. Listen, if you want your bike to perform even remotely close to a Felt F55, you'll need to tune it up regularly. I'm talking every 500 kilometers or so, depending on the conditions you're riding in. But what do I know, I'm sure your bargain bike will be just fine with a tune-up every thousand kilometers or so. ;)