How often should I apply dry lube?

Well, after trying on of those "dry lubes" on my chains, I'm kicking
myself for not using them all along! (Nice not having the drivetrain
all black after one ride!) My one question is how often does it need
to be applied? Come to think of it, should I clean the old layer off
before reapplying? If so, with what?

On Mar 31, 9:01 pm, [email protected] wrote:
> Well, after trying on of those "dry lubes" on my chains, I'm kicking
> myself for not using them all along! (Nice not having the drivetrain
> all black after one ride!) My one question is how often does it need
> to be applied? Come to think of it, should I clean the old layer off
> before reapplying? If so, with what?

'Should' start with a clean and dry chain. Reapply when on a ride it
sounds like you have a bird in your pocket, can hear the little
'chirp, chirp' of the chain. Lube after that ride, not just before the
next ride. DO NOT lube 'just cuz', that's how chains get blacked and
gooked up and things wear out.

On 1 Apr 2007 04:56:36 -0700, "Qui si parla Campagnolo"
<[email protected]> wrote:

[---]

>Lube after that ride, not just before the
>next ride.

What difference does that make?

Andrew Price wrote:
> On 1 Apr 2007 04:56:36 -0700, "Qui si parla Campagnolo"
> <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> [---]
>
>> Lube after that ride, not just before the
>> next ride.

> What difference does that make?

You want all of the excess lube evaporated (and wiped) off so that it
doesn't collect road gunk.

(I think)
\\paul

On Sun, 01 Apr 2007 19:39:50 +0200, Andrew Price <[email protected]>
wrote:
>On 1 Apr 2007 04:56:36 -0700, "Qui si parla Campagnolo"
><[email protected]> wrote:
>
>>Lube after that ride, not just before the
>>next ride.

>What difference does that make?

The "dry" lubes I've tried [1] all have a carrier that has to
evaporate, hopefully after carrying the lube proper inside the chain.
If you ride the bike with fresh lube, the carrier get slung off the
chain, taking the lube with it instead of leaving it to lube the
chain.

[1] Those dry lubes' performance has persuaded me to use oil, apply
after a ride (as for dry lube), and wipe it off before riding (as for
dry lube). Same hassle, better service life IME.

Pat

Email address works as is.

On Apr 1, 11:39 am, Andrew Price <[email protected]> wrote:
> On 1 Apr 2007 04:56:36 -0700, "Qui si parla Campagnolo"
>
> <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> [---]
>
> >Lube after that ride, not just before the
> >next ride.

> What difference does that make?

Applying right before a ride ensures that the liquid used to 'propel'
that dry lube will still be wet and picking up every piece of dust and
dirt immediately is guaranteed. Let dry lubes 'dry' and the chain
won't get dirty.

On Mar 31, 10:01 pm, [email protected] wrote:
> Well, after trying on of those "dry lubes" on my chains, I'm kicking
> myself for not using them all along! (Nice not having the drivetrain
> all black after one ride!) My one question is how often does it need
> to be applied? Come to think of it, should I clean the old layer off
> before reapplying? If so, with what?

I ride every day in all weather, only on the road for commuting. I do
a quick chain clean at three times:

1. when I hear the chirp (I don't hear it very often, because to me it
is really annoying);

2. after riding in the rain;

3. after a period of dry weather when it just looks dirty.

I use a *little* Simple Green on a cloth, and backpedal through the
cloth. Let the chain dry. Spray on a generous amount of lube while
backpedaling. Let it soak in awhile. I shift through all my gears a
couple times, on my bike stand. Wipe off all lube from the outside of
the chain, and from the chainring(s). The only lube that matters is
between the rollers and the pins, which you cannot touch.

I do a more through chain cleaning http://www.parktool.com/products/detail.asp?cat=8&item=CM-5
every two months or so, depending on conditions. I get about 6 months
use from a chain (2000 miles).

I also use a chain wear indicator http://www.parktool.com/products/detail.asp?cat=5&item=CC-3
, and replace my chain promptly at the .75% wear indicator. I just use
$15 chains. This regimen will extend the life of your cassette, make
shifting easier, and run quieter - J.