How often should I replace my chain?

George Hauxwell

Guest
Hi,

I have a mountain bike with slik tyres which I use on the road only and was
wondering how often (in miles) should I replace the chain. I've been
replacing the chain every 12 months, but I don't know whether this is too or
not too often. Are there any guidelines that I should follow. I ride
approx. 40 miles per week in the winter and 50-60 miles per week in the
summer.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

George

"George Hauxwell" wrote:

>> how often (in miles) should I replace the chain.

I've never replaced a chain in my life [1] - I've always worn the bike out
first.

[1] I do about 1000 miles a year

--
Kev

George Hauxwell said:
Hi,

I have a mountain bike with slik tyres which I use on the road only and was
wondering how often (in miles) should I replace the chain. I've been
replacing the chain every 12 months, but I don't know whether this is too or
not too often. Are there any guidelines that I should follow.

I disagree with replacing your chain every year, especially given the low mileage you do per annum.

If you ask around, most people say that you should measure the chain length to measure the amount of "stretch" that has occurred.

Typically 12 links measured centre-to-centre should measure 12" exactly. Once you notice that you are getting on towards 12.125 in you should start thinking about replacement. PartTool USA have produced a specific "chain stretch measuring" tool for just this purpose, you can have a look at their website at http://www.parktool.com

There is also a school of thought that says that chain replacement and replacement of your rear cassette should take place at the same time, since new chain + old cassette = bad shifts. I'm not too sure about this myself, you'll have to have a look at the teeth on your cassette if you are minded to replace your chain.

Hope this helped :confused:

Kevin Stone wrote:
> I've never replaced a chain in my life [1] - I've always worn the bike out
> first.

So how often do you change your bike?

d.

Kevin Stone wrote:
> "George Hauxwell" wrote:
>
>>> how often (in miles) should I replace the chain.

> I've never replaced a chain in my life [1] - I've always worn the
> bike out first.
>
> [1] I do about 1000 miles a year

How do you manage to wear out bikes doing such low mileage?

"Simonb" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> How do you manage to wear out bikes doing such low mileage?

Bikes don't really "wear out". Components can become worn, but not really the
bike itself (ie frame/forks/bars)

in message <[email protected]>, George Hauxwell
('[email protected]') wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I have a mountain bike with slik tyres which I use on the road only
> and was
> wondering how often (in miles) should I replace the chain. I've been
> replacing the chain every 12 months, but I don't know whether this is
> too or
> not too often. Are there any guidelines that I should follow.

It depends how often you clean and lube it, and how effectively you do
so. I use a device called a chain wear gauge, which measures the
distance between adjacent links; however it should be said that they're
quite expensive (about twenty quid) and a lot of people are very
skeptical about how well they actually work.

This is the one I use:
<URL:http://www.wiggle.co.uk/?ProductID=5360013392>
There's a cheaper one I haven't tried here:
<URL:http://www.wiggle.co.uk/?ProductID=5360013392>

Basically replacing your chain too early isn't really a problem except
that it costs, but replacing a chain too late will certainly mean that
you'll need to replace your cassette and possibly your chainrings as
well; so if in doubt replace it.

There are no messages. The above is just a random stream of
bytes. Any opinion or meaning you find in it is your own creation.

Adrian Boliston <[email protected]> wrote:

: Bikes don't really "wear out". Components can become worn, but not really the
: bike itself (ie frame/forks/bars)

Modern lightweight bars don't have an indefinte life, neither do lightweight
carbon forks. Or indeed steel forks which I've seen rusted through on the
steerer column.

Frames last a long time though.

Arthur

--
Arthur Clune http://www.clune.org
- Paulina Borsook

in message <[email protected]>, Arthur Clune
('[email protected]') wrote:

> Adrian Boliston <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> : Bikes don't really "wear out". Components can become worn, but not
> : really the bike itself (ie frame/forks/bars)
>
> Modern lightweight bars don't have an indefinte life, neither do
> lightweight carbon forks.

How do you tell when a carbon fork is on its last, err, legs? Not a
component I would like to have let go suddenly.

;; IE 3 is dead, but Netscape 4 still shambles about the earth,
;; wreaking a horrific vengeance upon the living
;; anonymous

George Hauxwell wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I have a mountain bike with slik tyres which I use on the road only and was
> wondering how often (in miles) should I replace the chain. I've been
> replacing the chain every 12 months, but I don't know whether this is too or
> not too often. Are there any guidelines that I should follow. I ride
> approx. 40 miles per week in the winter and 50-60 miles per week in the
> summer.

When it gets to 12 and 1/16" long for 12 full links. Any longer and
you'll need a new set of sprockets too.