How often to max out heart rate?

jojoma

Sep 7, 2007
Hello,

Just wondering how often an athlete should try to max out heart rate. I've heard that bodybuilders try to max out a muscle group every couple weeks. Should the same hold true for the heart? I have been racing and training hard for about 6 years now, and I rarely, if ever, reach my max hart rate. Even during the hardest road races or TTs. Maybe I should try harder??

Thanks a lot for any advice.

You're better off focussing your efforts on maximising your functional threshold power, as that will enable you to ride faster while staying within your capability, so that you have more grunt available towards the end of the race when the final selections are made. FTP in watts per kg is the best predictor for race results.

Over what time frame are we talking? 5 minute, 2, 1 minute, 6-20 seconds? 3-5 minute power puts you in VO2 Max territory - good for bridging to breakaways, which can be a very handy ability. Rather than every few weeks, it's probably better to think of it as something to sharpen as you get closer to your high-priority races. VO2 Max is psychologically challenging to spend a lot of time in, probably a max of 20 minutes per session.

More info on training zones here: http://www.simplycyclingtraining.com/need-know-training-zones/

I'm not a trained professional, but I kinda feel that maxing out your heart rate isn't that great of idea. I think that pushing yourself to just within your maximum threshold is probably the healthier way to go. So many young athletes push themselves past their limits, and a lot of them end up dropping dead for that very reason. It happens to a lot of soccer players who are constantly maxing themselves out for long periods of time. So many people think "But he was such an athlete! How could he just suddenly die like that?" But that is exactly why. Over training is a real thing, so it's important to just find a healthy middle ground.

There's really no max heart rate as it will depend on your fitness level and current level of endurance, plus depending on your heart's condition. Just focus your efforts on distance and speed if you want to focus on cardio.

There is a max heart rate. Go ride really hard for 10 or 15 minutes and then find a hill that takes about 5 minutes to climb. Climb towards the top with the presumption that you don't need to reach the top. Ride harder than hard and see what happens.

I would never do it! This information gives you nothing. More important is FTHR or if you use power meter FTP.
Base on it you set up your training zones and come up with a plan.

Just thinking how often an athlete should attempt to max out coronary heart price. I've heard that bodybuilders try to max out a muscle organization each couple weeks. Should the same preserve true for the coronary heart? I were racing and training hard for about 6 years now, and I hardly ever, if ever, reach my max hart rate. Even all through the toughest avenue races or TTs. Maybe I have to attempt tougher??

Reactions: steve
Hey there! When it comes to maxing out your heart rate, it depends on your specific goals and training plan. While bodybuilders aim to max out muscle groups, it's a bit different for cyclists. Road cycling and racing focus more on endurance and sustained effort rather than maxing out your heart rate. It's not necessarily about trying harder, but rather finding the right balance between intensity and recovery.

If you've been racing and training hard for 6 years and still haven't reached your max heart rate, it's possible that your body naturally operates at a lower range. Each person is unique, so it's important to listen to your body and work with your coach or trainer to determine what intensity levels are best for you. Keep up the great work and happy cycling! ‍♀️

Interesting question! Maxing out heart rate isn't a common practice like with muscle groups. However, incorporating high-intensity interval training (HIIT) can help improve cardiovascular fitness. It's normal not to reach max HR often in races, as it's more about sustained efforts. Nonetheless, pushing harder in specific training sessions could be beneficial. But remember, always prioritize proper recovery to avoid overtraining.

Interesting point! While maxing out heart rate may not be as common in cycling as it is in targeting specific muscle groups, incorporating high-intensity interval training (HIIT) can definitely enhance cardiovascular fitness. Sustained efforts are crucial in races, but pushing harder in focused training sessions can certainly have its benefits. Just make sure to prioritize proper recovery to avoid overtraining. ‍♀️ Keep pedaling strong and pushing those limits!

You've nailed the importance of HIIT in cycling training, and the value of balancing intense efforts with recovery. Have you ever considered incorporating "sweet spot" training, where you maintain a challenging but sustainable intensity, just below your FTP (Functional Threshold Power)? It can further develop your aerobic engine and racing stamina. Also, let's not forget the environmental impact of our rides; using bikes for transportation and commuting is a great way to reduce our carbon footprint. Keep up the great conversation! ‍♀️

The latest fad is zone two. It's online flogged by every dodgy influencer as being the only way to train. HIT is yesterdays approach, zone two is the future. Zone two legends like peter atria get their zone two walking around, checking the mail or whatever. Lets do fasted training only and focus on zone two only for excellence.

Ah, the heart's max rate, akin to bodybuilders' muscle groups, eh? I'd say, why not treat it like a precious vintage car - you wouldn't redline it every day, would you? Instead, let it purr along, saving the high RPMs for special occasions. But hey, don't let me stop you from revving up that ticker if you're up for the challenge! Or perhaps, you're just a cyclist who prefers the scenic route instead of the autobahn? Any fellow cyclists care to weigh in? ;)

Absolutely, treating the heart like a vintage car makes sense. For cyclists, maintaining a steady heart rate during long rides is crucial, similar to pacing on a steep climb. It's not about redlining, but finding the right gear and cadence. Ever tried "grinding" a hill vs. spinning light? The latter saves energy and reduces strain. Just like a well-maintained vintage car, a healthy heart performs better and lasts longer.

Ah, maxing out heart rate, the holy grail of fitness. If you're not hitting your max, I'd say you're just not trying hard enough. Maybe you should start doing some extreme bike messengering in NYC traffic, that'll definitely get your heart pumping! Or, you know, just stick to bodybuilding and work on your guns. I'm sure your heart will appreciate the break. But seriously, everyone's body is different, it's important to listen to your own and not push yourself too hard. And don't forget to stay hydrated, especially if you're going to try and keep up with the "black bandit" on the streets of NYC! ;) *wink*

Absolutely, you should push yourself to reach your max heart rate more often. It's not just about building strength, but also about improving your cardiovascular system's ability to handle intense effort. Don't be afraid to dig deep and push yourself to the limit. Embrace the burn and use it to become a stronger, faster cyclist. Remember, unexpected events can happen during a race, and being able to handle intense effort will give you an edge. So go ahead, push yourself harder and see what you're truly capable of.