how often to service parts on the bike?

fordguru

Apr 15, 2009
i have rode mostly in the dry weather. i have about 4000 miles on my new bike. the bike is a trek 1500sl 2006. this year i may have to ride more in the rain. i am wondering if there is something to gain in the aftermarket grease to ward of any moisture? are is the factory grease good at fighting off the moisture? everything works well now. i am looking to put around another 4 to 5 thousand miles on this year. if i am on the brink of service i would rather do it now while i have some down time with the weather. any suggestions on what route to take on service would be appreciatied!!:p

jason

fordguru said:
i have rode mostly in the dry weather. i have about 4000 miles on my new bike. the bike is a trek 1500sl 2006. this year i may have to ride more in the rain. i am wondering if there is something to gain in the aftermarket grease to ward of any moisture? are is the factory grease good at fighting off the moisture? everything works well now. i am looking to put around another 4 to 5 thousand miles on this year. if i am on the brink of service i would rather do it now while i have some down time with the weather. any suggestions on what route to take on service would be appreciatied!!:p

jason

What do you exactly mean by a service. If you mean cleaning I do it every week. But I ride about 200 mi. every week. So I learned to do it myself. You can clean everything pretty much on a road bike myself. I haven't had to take it to the shop. There are very many resources on the internet on how to clean your bike. Unless you can afford to pay the $30-$70 the LBS charges.

K

kausbose said:
What do you exactly mean by a service. If you mean cleaning I do it every week. But I ride about 200 mi. every week. So I learned to do it myself. You can clean everything pretty much on a road bike myself. I haven't had to take it to the shop. There are very many resources on the internet on how to clean your bike. Unless you can afford to pay the $30-$70 the LBS charges.

K

The inside things need to be attended to. Hubs, headset, bottom bracket. Where bearings live. The should be regularly taken apart(about once per year to once per 18 months), cleaned, relubed and new bearings if applicable. Also measure your chain. A worn out chain will wear out cogs and chainrings, both more expensive than a chain. Check your brake pads. Too thin and the metal of a holder can damage your rims.

The rest is pretty much ride until you get degraded operation, like cables and housing.

Basically there is nothing to "service" on a modern road bike, other than cleaning and lubing the chain, and replacing the chain and cassette (and eventually chainrings) when they are wornout. Most of what a good LBS will do in a routine "service" or "tuneup" is to inspect or check moving parts for proper operation: headset, bb, pedals, wheels, shifters and brakes.
Also a check of the frame/fork for cracks, as well as attention to any complaints of noise or improper operation.

If you pay attention to your bike, and are willing to do some simple checks yourself, you should be able to avoid routine visits to the LBS and still have a safe and well-maintained bike.

Peter@vecchios said:
The inside things need to be attended to. Hubs, headset, bottom bracket. Where bearings live. The should be regularly taken apart(about once per year to once per 18 months), cleaned, relubed and new bearings if applicable. Also measure your chain. A worn out chain will wear out cogs and chainrings, both more expensive than a chain. Check your brake pads. Too thin and the metal of a holder can damage your rims.

The rest is pretty much ride until you get degraded operation, like cables and housing.

Totally agree with Peter@vecchios here!

Why pull appart sealed bearings???? They are a sealed unit so should have no real need to be pulled appart, until replacement is required

Scotttri said:
Why pull appart sealed bearings???? They are a sealed unit so should have no real need to be pulled appart, until replacement is required

If you've got a seal picker or similar tool, you can be sure your sealed bearings are lubed well, extending their life. Seals aren't perfect. I'd bet that in almost every case, a tool to pick out the seal is cheaper than a set of bearings.

alienator said:
If you've got a seal picker or similar tool, you can be sure your sealed bearings are lubed well, extending their life. Seals aren't perfect. I'd bet that in almost every case, a tool to pick out the seal is cheaper than a set of bearings.

I can see your point but, to most who would more than likely use the wrong tool pulling them appart or attempting to, could cause more harm then good.

Scotttri said:

Well, cartridge bearings have a 'seal', but they aren't sealed as in waterproof. Most also don't come with adequate grease in them. When I install new ones(many go south, BB, headset, wheel bearings), I pry the seal off and add grease.

Interesting article here-

"Sealed" Bearings by Jobst Brandt

Often hubs, etc have cartridge bearings because it's cheaper to build the unit(as in hub) with them. Cheaper axle, hub shell, etc.

Peter@vecchios said:
Well, cartridge bearings have a 'seal', but they aren't sealed as in waterproof. Most also don't come with adequate grease in them. When I install new ones(many go south, BB, headset, wheel bearings), I pry the seal off and add grease.

Interesting article here-

"Sealed" Bearings by Jobst Brandt

Often hubs, etc have cartridge bearings because it's cheaper to build the unit(as in hub) with them. Cheaper axle, hub shell, etc.
Agree the "non-contact" seal rings on cartridge bearings aren't really adequate for sandy or wet conditions. After a couple of weeks of NM/CO riding last summer, I got home to find my cartridge bb bearings had ingested grit and were shot. The RH side was worse; when I popped it apart I found one ball severely galled as well as a couple of notched on both the inner and outer rings. They only had about 4K miles on them, but once the grit gets inside they are ruined in a short time.