How old is my bike?

Discussion in 'Road Cycling' started by David Kerber, Jun 29, 2003.

  1. David Kerber

    David Kerber Guest

    I am trying to figure out just how old my 10-speed Schwinn LeTour III
    is. The S/N on the left rear dropout is 8E03379, and it says it was "Made in Japan for Schwinn
    Bicycle company, Chicago" (or words to that effect). I got it in 83 or 84 from someone else, so
    have no receipt or paperwork for it. I have checked all the websites I can find which discuss
    the serial numbers of Schwinn bikes, and they only list the ones which were made in the Chicago
    plant; none seem to mention the ones made by Panasonic in Japan, which apparently this one was.

  2. Zoot Katz

    Zoot Katz Guest

  3. "David Kerber" <[email protected]_ids.net> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > I am trying to figure out just how old my 10-speed Schwinn LeTour III
    > is. The S/N on the left rear dropout is 8E03379, and it says it was "Made in Japan for Schwinn
    > Bicycle company, Chicago" (or words to that effect). I got it in 83 or 84 from someone else,
    > so have no receipt or paperwork for it. I have checked all the websites I can find which
    > discuss the serial numbers of Schwinn bikes, and they only list the ones which were made in
    > the Chicago plant; none seem to mention the ones made by Panasonic in Japan, which apparently
    > this one was.
    >

    > --
    > Dave Kerber Fight spam: remove the ns_ from the return address before replying!
    >
    > REAL programmers write self-modifying code.

    Just saw the top-tube in half and count the rings!

  4. Your Panasonic/Schwinn was made in the third week of the third month of 1979.

    >"David Kerber" <[email protected]_ids.net> wrote in message
    >news:[email protected]...
    >> I am trying to figure out just how old my 10-speed Schwinn LeTour III
    >> is. The S/N on the left rear dropout is 8E03379, and it says it was "Made in Japan for Schwinn
    >> Bicycle company, Chicago" (or words to that effect). I got it in 83 or 84 from someone else,
    >> so have no receipt or paperwork for it. I have checked all the websites I can find which
    >> discuss the serial numbers of Schwinn bikes, and they only list the ones which were made in
    >> the Chicago plant; none seem to mention the ones made by Panasonic in Japan, which
    >> apparently this one was.

  5. Archer

    Archer Guest

    > Your Panasonic/Schwinn was made in the third week of the third month of 1979.

    Thanks for the info; where did you find the reference for the date?

    > >"David Kerber" <[email protected]_ids.net> wrote in message
    > >news:[email protected]...
    > >> I am trying to figure out just how old my 10-speed Schwinn LeTour III
    > >> is. The S/N on the left rear dropout is 8E03379, and it says it was

    it's morning".

  6. Menotomy

    Menotomy Guest

    You'll find Schwinn (and other) serial number charts in the "General Resources" section of our site.

    Menotomy Vintage Bicycles, Inc. http://OldRoads.com

    >I am trying to figure out just how old my 10-speed Schwinn LeTour III
    >is. The S/N on the left rear dropout is 8E03379, and it says it was "Made in Japan for Schwinn
    > Bicycle company, Chicago" (or words to that effect). I got it in 83 or 84 from someone else,
    > so have no receipt or paperwork for it. I have checked all the websites I can find which
    > discuss the serial numbers of Schwinn bikes, and they only list the ones which were made in
    > the Chicago plant; none seem to mention the ones made by Panasonic in Japan, which apparently
    > this one was.
    >

    >--
    >Dave Kerber Fight spam: remove the ns_ from the return address before replying!

  7. Archer

    Archer Guest

    > You'll find Schwinn (and other) serial number charts in the "General Resources" section of
    > our site.

    I only see the S/N's for the bikes built by Schwinn itself (which mine was not), and nothing for
    Panasonic. Thanks for the link, though; lots of interesting stuff there.

    > Menotomy Vintage Bicycles, Inc. http://OldRoads.com
    >
    > >I am trying to figure out just how old my 10-speed Schwinn LeTour III
    > >is. The S/N on the left rear dropout is 8E03379, and it says it was "Made in Japan for Schwinn
    > > Bicycle company, Chicago" (or words to that effect). I got it in 83 or 84 from someone else,
    > > so have no receipt or paperwork for it. I have checked all the websites I can find which
    > > discuss the serial numbers of Schwinn bikes, and they only list the ones which were made in
    > > the Chicago plant; none seem to mention the ones made by Panasonic in Japan, which
    > > apparently this one was.

    it's morning".

  8. archer <[email protected]_hotmail.com> wrote:
    >In article <[email protected]>, [email protected] says...
    >>
    >> Your Panasonic/Schwinn was made in the third week of the third month of 1979.
    >
    >Thanks for the info; where did you find the reference for the date?

    As a longtime fan of the Asian (Panasonic/National/Matsushita & Giant) "Schwinns", I'm familiar with
    the numbering of those bicyclws.

    p.s. I believe the numbering system is also mentioned in the fascinating book "No Hands: The
    Rise and Fall of the Schwinn Bicycle Company, an American Institution" by Judith Crown &
    Glenn Coleman.

    >> >"David Kerber" <[email protected]_ids.net> wrote in message
    >> >news:[email protected]...

    >--
    >David Kerber An optimist says "Good morning, Lord." While a pessimist says "Good Lord, it's
    >morning".
    >
    >Remove the ns_ from the address before e-mailing.

  9. pbiker

    pbiker New Member

    Joined:
    Oct 8, 2003
    Dave,

    Check the Schwinn badge on the head tube just under the handlebar. If you clean it and look real close you should find another number. I have a Le Tour III and it was made in 1978. You can find the info you want by looking at the Schwinn Web site. You're right it does not give information on the number that is on the left rear dropout. I have a number on mine too but did not use it because no one mentioned it. Someone did reply to you that they knew the date to be Third day of third month of 1979 the 3379 of your number 8E03379 might be the right way to know. The number on the Schwinn badge is the day of the year. You just need to calculate what day and month that would be.

    Good luck.
    pbiker

    P.S. I'm looking for a crank/sprocket set for my Le Tour. If you know of one email me at [email protected]

  10. David Kerber

    David Kerber Guest

    In article <[email protected]>, usenet- [email protected] says...
    > Dave,
    >
    > Check the Schwinn badge on the head tube just under the handlebar. If you clean it and look real
    > close you should find another number. I have a Le Tour III and it was made in 1978. You can find
    > the info you want by looking at the Schwinn Web site. You're right it does not give information
    > on the number that is on the left rear dropout. I have a number on mine too but did not use it
    > because no one mentioned it. Someone did reply to you that they knew the date to be Third day of
    > third month of 1979 the 3379 of your number 8E03379 might be the right way to know. The number on
    > the Schwinn badge is the day of the year. You just need to calculate what day and month that
    > would be.

    Thanks for the response; I never made the connection on the dropout number.

    > Good luck. pbiker
    >
    > P.S. I'm looking for a crank/sprocket set for my Le Tour. If you know of one email me at
    > [email protected]

    I posted a responsed last night...