how old is too old to train to go pro?

BullGod said:
There are plenty of guys who are seriously dedicated, train more than the pros, live like monks, make the kind of sacrifices noone else would dream of making and they still don't make it as a pro.

Then there are other guys who are pretty lazy, go out drinking, eat what they like, skip training if it's raining and they'll make it as a pro.

Here's why - Genetics. some guys are just blessed with naturally high VO2 max, LT and with training their FTP etc goes through the roof very quickly. Other guys putting in even more training time will have less talent, and less room for improvement.

I started at 24, and I will ride next season 9now 28) on an elite amateur squad in Holland, but there is no way I could ever go pro. Racing in the elites is unimagineably tough, and there are plenty of guys there who have been the best in their category since their early teens, guys who can really hammer it, and maybe one or two guys a year gets a pro contract. Probably a lot of guys are good enough, but there just aren't so many jobs.

If you want to have a small chance of making it is a pro here's what you need to do.

1) Make sure you have a VO2 max of at least 77, and an FTP of about 380w, weighing under 70kg preferably. Make sure you have at least 4 years of riding 20,000km a year under your belt.

2) Invent a time machine and go back to being 21

3) Make sure you have been regularly podiuming in top amateur competition (preferably in Europe)

4) Ideally you would also want to have been spotted by a coach and put on a junior / espoir team that "feeds" pro squads.
+1 for your excellent post. It's good to hear reality from a guy who's been competing at the top levels for a long time.

dhk2 said:
+1 for your excellent post. It's good to hear reality from a guy who's been competing at the top levels for a long time.
I should have also added that you need to also be prepared to:

1) be very poor for years as an amateur doing a **** part time job to pay the rent
2) Never have time for things like relationships, parties, holidays
3) Be prepared to uproot and live in another country, learn a new language etc.
4) earn comparitavely little (unless you are brilliant) compared to other sportsman.
5) Get sick / injured a lot and still be forced to race by your team manager. or endure the top level cycling vicious circle of "get sick, race poorly, get dropped from the team, don't race, race poorly" etc etc
6) Endure the constant lack of job security and regular income.

Some guys I know have slept in their car or in a tent for weeks in Belgium going to Kermesse races every day.....boiling up pasta at 6am on a camping stove whilst shivering....washing after the race in a pub washroom etc.

When you're 21 this is a fun adventure....if you're in your mid 20's and have been earning nice money this kind of life can really suck.

BullGod said:

1) be very poor for years as an amateur doing a **** part time job to pay the rent
4) earn comparitavely little (unless you are brilliant) compared to other sportsman.
5) Get sick / injured a lot and still be forced to race by your team manager. or endure the top level cycling vicious circle of "get sick, race poorly, get dropped from the team, don't race, race poorly" etc etc

Some guys I know have slept in their car or in a tent for weeks in Belgium going to Kermesse races every day.....boiling up pasta at 6am on a camping stove whilst shivering....washing after the race in a pub washroom etc.

When you're 21 this is a fun adventure....if you're in your mid 20's and have been earning nice money this kind of life can really suck.
Not to mention the drug dilemma you'll find yourself in.

+2 on your post. It is nice to see a post which talks in terms of reality and does not romanticize the experience. Being in the film/publishing business I know how we can make the Lance experience seem like the common and not the exception.

Still reading my bodybuilding magazines as I guess I will never stop, I recently read a great article in Planet Muscle which talked about designer genes and how we will probably see the beginning of this in the Bejing 2008 Olympics. They have already saw some young people that they say kind not be compared. They are sure it is designer gene work which can not be caught with any test.

So do not worry in the future, not my children but my daughters will be able to pick the superstar they want to have...:D If you do not sense the sarcasm, I do not know how to be more blunt.

I am just kind of sick of the whole gene argument. Shouldn't than Lance's children become superstars and has anyone tracked Lemond or Mercks ancestory. OK so the argument may be that it passes a generation or two...shouldn't someone though along their lineage line continue to have similar success? In fact there was a study where they tracked the lives of the so called "gifted" ones and most performed average or below average in life.

I am sorry being a guy who was told by alot of teachers and parents, you are going nowhere fast, to now have more success in life than they have, I credit it to simple hardwork and sacrafice. I admit it took me twice as long as it took some others to achieve some goals. I do not mind...I am willing to go the distance...are you? Drive is all that matters...

I much rather have my ankle of steel ( more hardware than an ace hardware store), 42 years of age and trying to get my ftp to 300. For me it is just so much sweeter when it happens. The journey is all the matters and why some many become bitter.

There is so much more to life than genes and if I was 21 and got into cycling earlier beyond being a messenger...I would try to hang out in those same places and ask them to pass some of that pasta man, I am hungry! lol.

I am convinced humans can achieve beyond even what they believe they can...it is a great time to be alive!! Enjoy my friends...:), my 4 watts/kg is coming!

-Js

BullGod said:

I think we need to define what becoming a pro means. Domestic pro on what would have been D3(I can't remember what it is called now). All you need is someone to sign you up. I know quite a few "pros" who arent anything special, but they aren't making any money racing. They just race for a pro team. A continental pro in Europe is tougher, but I think a guy with average abilities could make this happen with 100% dedication in 4 years. To win races at this level you better be really lucky or at least in the top5% genetically.

Protour race winner... Average guys need not apply.

Not to degrade anyones efforts, but with a tiny amount of training and 1/3 of a sense of race tactics ANYONE can win a cat3 race in the US. I think racing cat 3races is similar to adult co-ed softball. Anyone can do it if they wanted to. This has been my experience in 21 years of racing.

So... to the original poster, you probably aren't going to win the TDF. I think you know that. That puts you in a pretty big group of people. That being said, If you want to ride in the pro peloton at any level, go for it!! The worst that can happen is that you will have a great time that you will remember for the rest of your life. You will learn a ton about yourself; Things you had never considered. Finally you will develop your work ethic to the point that you can become successful in almost anything else you want to do.

hey bullgod, you are such a little liar. Even neo pros get paid like 200,000 salaries. I don't know about you guys but camping at 20 degrees eating pasta and pee freezing before hitting the ground is like my dream.
As for the drugs question: shooting EPO in my balls would be like heaven. Who would not want some EPO in their balls/ovaries? I'll be first in line :D.

God bullgod, you may be elite status now but you don't know anything about pro cycling.

lol...

But I have to argue with one point, my pee will not freeze at 20 degrees before hitting the ground...but it would be really cool to see.
biggrin.gif

Think of all the cool ice sculptures I could make....

bodaciousguy said:
hey bullgod, you are such a little liar. Even neo pros get paid like 200,000 salaries. I don't know about you guys but camping at 20 degrees eating pasta and pee freezing before hitting the ground is like my dream.
As for the drugs question: shooting EPO in my balls would be like heaven. Who would not want some EPO in their balls/ovaries? I'll be first in line :D.

God bullgod, you may be elite status now but you don't know anything about pro cycling.

hmmmmm - if that's where you intend to put EPO when you get it, I'd say you are showing your own ingnorance about things.........

dhk2 said:
Long time? 4 years is not that long.
Top levels? I don't know what level BullGod is competing at, but going to Holland to race as an amateur for the first time makes me think that this is not a top level.

bodaciousguy said:
Jr, you will never go pro, you are way too old. Do yourself a favor and trash that bike you have. You probably suck at riding anyways. I bet my recovery pace is your FTP...lol! Imagine me riding circles around you while you ride up a 10% gradient. Cat 5 huh? Do you understand how low Cat 5 is? You are a piece of **** in the cycling world :p. I bet your girlfriend laughs at how small your **** is.

Look what we find out, bodaciousguy isnt even a pro, just a cat 2

Re: Poll: What's your Functional Threshold power?

FTP: 351 watts
Wt: 74.8 kg (72.6 in season)

Hopefully FTP will be at 400 watts by end of January/beginning of season

Quote:
Originally Posted by strader

the holster 370 67 5.52
Camoscio 340 62 5.48
scotmart 385 72 5.35 19:58 (47:21 on a 37.8km course)
musher 340 64 5.31
clausfod 414 78 5.307
bigmatt 396 75 5.28
joemw 354 68 5.20
whoawhoa 335 655 5.15
gvanwagner 325 64 5.08
MikeMUK 360 72 5.01
c.walton 325 65 5.00
BullGod 340 69 4.93
musher 318 65 4.89
PSUCycling 325 67 4.85
Hooj 367 76 4.83
Markster 335 70 4.79 19:57 51:55
2007 bikeguy 340 72 kg 4.71 W/kg, 12 minute power 400 (+?) w @ 100 rpm
rmur 400 85 4.71 (PT Pro, SRM add 10W )
bodaciousguy 351 74.8 4.69 (Horrible Cat 2 climber)
Dirtcoach 305 65.6 4.65
postal_bag 345 75 4.6
gonzalovilaseca 310 68 4.56
kennethn 320 70.3 4.55
JohnMeyers 350 77 4.54
Atsic 285 63.5 4.49
NomadVW 345 77 4.48
peterpen 290 65 4.46
zaskar 280 63 4.44
midbunchlurker 275 62 4.43

jeff828 said:
Look what we find out, bodaciousguy isnt even a pro, just a cat 2

Re: Poll: What's your Functional Threshold power?

FTP: 351 watts
Wt: 74.8 kg (72.6 in season)

Hopefully FTP will be at 400 watts by end of January/beginning of season

Quote:
Originally Posted by strader

the holster 370 67 5.52
Camoscio 340 62 5.48
scotmart 385 72 5.35 19:58 (47:21 on a 37.8km course)
musher 340 64 5.31
clausfod 414 78 5.307
bigmatt 396 75 5.28
joemw 354 68 5.20
whoawhoa 335 655 5.15
gvanwagner 325 64 5.08
MikeMUK 360 72 5.01
c.walton 325 65 5.00
BullGod 340 69 4.93
musher 318 65 4.89
PSUCycling 325 67 4.85
Hooj 367 76 4.83
Markster 335 70 4.79 19:57 51:55
2007 bikeguy 340 72 kg 4.71 W/kg, 12 minute power 400 (+?) w @ 100 rpm
rmur 400 85 4.71 (PT Pro, SRM add 10W )
bodaciousguy 351 74.8 4.69 (Horrible Cat 2 climber)
Dirtcoach 305 65.6 4.65
postal_bag 345 75 4.6
gonzalovilaseca 310 68 4.56
kennethn 320 70.3 4.55
JohnMeyers 350 77 4.54
Atsic 285 63.5 4.49
NomadVW 345 77 4.48
peterpen 290 65 4.46
zaskar 280 63 4.44
midbunchlurker 275 62 4.43
:eek: I'm so embarressed. You've discovered who I really am. You're right, I'm not a pro. I'm a phony...a big fat phony. :eek: Don't hurt me. I'm a sensitive creature who cries at night because mommy didn't breast feed me :(.

I rub peanutbutter on my balls every thursday night so my dog will lick it off :eek:. I'm really loving these icons. Also in my spare time, I tie mice to balloons and watch them fly away. Ahhhhh the messed up mind of a cyclist. I just realized that I'm gonna have to answer to a lot of questions at the races if anyone finds out who I am.

Hey after reading enough replies to made the gears in my head spin, I can only say... Why not dedicate your life to helping others make the realization of who they are and what direction they should be headed in? Help the young aspiring cyclists in your area, say, through a cycling club. You are at an age where enrolling in college courses and setting your sights on a sports science degree is not an unreasonable decision. Watch the movie, "It's a Wonderful Life" and see what one person can contribute to the future of happiness within his community.

So don't get all caught up with feeling down about your age and the whole "Gotta be Pro" thing... I say to be the legend... Give back what you can and stand tall throughout it all. The help wanted sign is always looking for true "Role Models". This is your time. Stay Focused and step up. Be One!

We @ CProgression wish you much success. Reply here with your story: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WqbgDPgpg6g

:) :D :)

I see this posting is WAAAAAYYYY old. Hopefully the original author/s are still around. My 2 cents on this topic. I began racing road bicycles at the age of 11 in 1988.I'm now 33. To put it mildly, I was obsessed. I lived, breathed, ate and slept road racing. Many of us "old guys" prob remember the awesome magazine called "Winning". Every square inch of my room, locker, school books (you name it) was covered with pics of Phil Anderson, Davis Phinney, Andy Bishop, Fignon, Jacques, Hinault, Greg (or course), Fabio Parra, and my personal fav, the greatest sprinter ever, Super Mario! I read Bernard Hinault's "memoirs of the peloton" so many times, I nearly memorized it word for word. Along with Eddie B's book. If I need to tell you who Eddie B is, forget about this sport bro.

I met Alexi Grewal in 1990 at the Tour Du Pont. No lie, I was jumping up and down yelling "Alexi! Alexi!"
While this thug of a drunk dude knocked me down so he could shake Alexis hand. I bounced back up and was ready to fight a guy twice my size and age. Alexi saw this, got ******, knocked the guy out of the way, autographed my piece of paper, my bianchi jersey, patted me on the head and said "go get em kid." True story. It was an awesome moment in my life.

It blows my mind to go to group rides and talk to the "old timers" about the sport, and realize despite their being 10+ yrs older than me, I've still been around almost twice as long. Getting older is both shitty and wierd.

I road all over the country against guys that are now hanging it up on the real pro scene. I was easily logging 300+ miles a week by the time I was 15 and turning a huge ratio despite being on junior restriction at the time for races (which is why I now have mondo knee problems). I was kicking ass at everything I went to. If I didn't win it, I placed damn high. Sprinting was (still is) my thing. I'm explosive as dynamite, I've got a high achilles tendon and an almost masochistic viewpoint on pain. Group sprints, individual, breakaways, track, it didnt matter. I WAS powerful and FAST.

At the age of 16, I had the chance to go to Belgium for 6 months and race. I speak French (of course, since its the universal language of the peloton). I lived in the back of 1974 opel van and bathed very infrequently. I didnt care. I was living the dream. Some of the previous posters make a very good point. Fast here in the States, does not necessarily mean fast in Europe.

Belgium. Land of cycling gods. Have no illusions. The Belgians are the greatest cycling nation on earth. There are velodromes EVERYWHERE and everyone seems to be fast! At first, I was a fish out of water. Off the back,time and time again. I just couldnt get it down. Suddenly, it was like a light switch went on. Bam. I was right in there, either winning or coming damn close. Being still so young, I was told, "you might have a good future in the sport as a day classic rider. Come back in a few years."Paris Roubaix and San Remo were my dream. I knew Tour de France was not a sprinters race.

Ok. So what happened? I've been hit by no less than 12 vehicles and hospitalized as many times. I've slid into trees, dump trucks, telephone poles and even a bull. Yes, a full sized, full horned steer of a bull. Broken both elbows (let me tell you, no pain is quite like broken elbow pain), dislocated both shoulders, broken both wrists,clavicles, both hands and tore numerous ligaments, had knee surgery 3 times now and broke my pelvis and multiple concussions. My legs look marble skin graft after marble skin graft gone awry. Despite all of this, I was TOTALLY fearless (to the point of reckless) in cornering, descending ( I adopted Djamolodine Abdujaparovs method of over the bars down hill tuck) and pushing and shoving my way thru group finishes. I was probably too bold since I got DQ'd for **** I didnt need to do in the first place. To be honest, I was a ****.

Also, as previously stated, THERE IS NO MONEY IN BICYCLING. Even as a domestique for a winning team, there are much easier and less dangerous ways to make a living. People have NO concept of how dangerous, grueling and totally consuming competing cycling is. I quit around 21. My girlfriend and I got married and life seemed sooooo much easier when I wasn't living on a bicycle 5 hrs a day and working 2 jobs to make ends meet.

If you are still reading this post. I thank you. This has been long winded. I'll sum it up really soon. The bug never really went away. I still have it. Not a day goes by that I don't think, "even if I had totally crashed and burned. At least I would know." I picked the bike back up again around 23 or so.. My God. How the sport changed in a few short years. When I went to a CAT 5 ride in the early 90's, I had 20 other guys to beat. My first CAT 5 ride back in late 90s, there were I believe about 300 guys at the starting line. I was off the back for most of my first season back. Race after race. Nearly dead last.

Once again, the light came on. My first race of my second season back, there were about 350 guys at the start. Long story short, I broke away with about 1 lap to go and all I remembered hearing was "let him go, he's a nobody!!!!" I nearly sniped that victory. I got pinched with about 20 feet to go. Mistimed my attack. It didnt take long for me to become a marked man again. I couldnt even move without my own "team mates" (comprised mostly of over the hill guys desperately cleaving to unrealistic salvation from their misspent youth) that would intentionally block me because so and so wanted a shot at winning this time. In 2002, I got hit on training ride by some young girl on her phone that wasnt paying attention. Fractured my pelvis. I hung it up.

Ask yourself this. Why do you want to ride professionally? If its for money, forget it. You'll make more as a prison guard. Europeans become pro cyclists because they dont wanna work on farms, mills or car factories. Its not like being an American pro athlete. That all being said. If you absolutely CANNOT get it out of head. Go for it. Not a day goes by that I don't regret even trying and failing. Just be prepared for the most physically, emotionally, financially, psychologically and time demanding commitment you will ever make with your life. All to cross that line and raise your hands and be a god among men, even if just for a moment....believe me, it ain't gonna get easier with each passing year. Lose a step, you're off the back.

Wow, and to think I almost did not read this old thread. While it does sound like you had a disproportionate amount of back luck than most aspiring pro cyclists (some of it brought on by yourself no doubt), it really wraps up the side of cycling that is beyond natural ability, and training until you are blue in the face. When it comes down to a group of super strong cyclists with nearly equal abilities, a lot of times it is the person or people who care much more about winning than taking a trip to the hospital or worse.

Sure you don't see the guys on TV getting mangled in crash after crash, while they do crash from time to time, those are the guys who "made it" either through or around the gauntlet of insane criteriums and road races to get to where they are now, and came out on the other side in one piece.

So maybe an aspiring pros first question before ability or time to train should be is am I willing to take that amount of risk....

That said, I am 29 and have just had my 1st year of racing under my belt. It seems that I have some amount of natural ability, that coupled with my dedication and focus that I can put forward towards one thing, and desire to win has contributed to quite a successful year, at least in my book. I also have a great wife, great job, and a baby on the way, none of that is worth giving up for a bike, so my goals and expectations are more realistic, I hope to someday be a contender as a Cat 1 at regional races and maybe have a crack at winning nationals as a master. This way I can keep the cycling in my life and all of the other things that are good!

@oldskoolroadie : that was a great post to read. Thanks for posting it.
You're 100% correct to say that as a way of making a living, there is no harder sport in my opinion. The bad days will always outnumber the good days and unless one is blessed with gog given talent and an aptitude for hard work and willingness to live the life, then making it as a professional is well ne'er impossible.

It really does take a special individual to make it as a top tier professional.

To BGoetz;

Yeah I had some crappy luck. I am only telling you the "greatest hits." My home life was filled with turmoil would be stating it mildly. My old man was an abusive, nasty ***** that thought bicycling was a waste of time and only for faggots since we shaved our legs and wear spandex. If my beloved bianchi ( I worked as a milker on a dairy farm to save the $ to buy her-side note* how many other 12 yr olds do you know in this day and age working on dairy farms???) was in his way, he would pick it up and throw it across the garage. I missed more training days because of broken parts due to that man than due to injury.

I managed to wrangle a signed copy of the giant poster of Hinault and Lemond on the final stage of l'Alpe shaking hands. I came home one day and found it torn down in pieces off the wall because he wouldnt tolerate pictures of fags holding hands in his house
( I only cried 1 other time in my teens, when my grandmother died).

I signed up for French immediately when it was offered in schooI. He mocked me then too. He took french and failed it. It was a ****** language anyway and if he wasnt any good at it, why would I be??? I got kicked out of 3 diff schools thru my teen years. 95% of it, related to bicycling, leg shaving, being bullied for it, which ultimately would lead to my kicking someones ass. Hey one time it was 4 on 1. My kind of odds. I crushed the biggest (who was easily 6 inches taller than me) one first, the others ran before he hit the floor. Cycling tactics 101 :+) . The principle was gonna paddle me for that fight (i was 14 at the time). I threatened to take the paddle from him and beat him to death with it. I prob would have to. The look on his face was priceless. I got expelled instead. Read Bernard Hinaults book. It was my "manifesto" for dealing with the abusive forces in my teen years.

In a way, bicycling was my salvation from an orthodox Baptist, abusive home. Back on point. I actually did not crash often. However, when I did crash, they were usually horrific.I think I only crashed maybe 6 times (if i can recall) in group rides and races combined. The rest were training and generally assholes in cars related. Also, weather was a big factor for me. I rode year round. Rain or shine, 7 days a week.You might be surprised how easy it is to take a bad slide on ice.

I grew up in rural Pennsylvania surrounded by farms, cows and seemingly endless miles of hilly back roads. However, that doesnt mean that people did not give a **** about seeing some wierdo in funny colored lycra. They would run your ass over. My handling skills were/are actually quite good. I could ride the train track grooves near my house all day long if I wanted to (try that sometime, I mean the ones that are 2 inches deep and will throw u on your head if u make a wrong move). I can stand at a stand still at traffic lights etc and never put a foot down (my best time doing this is just over 4 min by the way- which happens to be a skill I developed waaaaayyyy back when before clipless pedals were the hot new thing.) The key, I STARTED YOUNG. You are 29. If I had stuck with the game, I would have over 2 decades worth of exp on you already and I'm only 4 yrs older than you. Assuming we were equally or even sorta close talent wise. How would you compete against that kind of time and knowledge in the saddle? Not to sound old but my first racing helmet was a hairnet. Yep. Google it.

Anyway, I'm not trying to turn this into a pissing contest or hi jack the thread (tho I think that ship set sail), I'm just trying to give you best info I can. Its tough to summarize daily routines and all the crazy stuff that happens on the road in over a decades worth of trials and tribus into a few paragraphs. Its been kinda therapeutic for me to get it out. This thread is really the first I've mentioned much of this to anyone in a very long time.

Reactions: dhk2
Terrible... Anything is possible. Didn't read more then the first 2 sentences before I felt the need to reply. Chris Lieto. Enough said.

"you want to turn pro, your 24 and youve only just started riding. im sorry mate but youve got to be realistic, if your good enough to be a pro ok but i dont think you can aim for that having just started. im 15 and racing in the basque country at the mo and when i started cycling i was like ye i will be a pro when im an adult but in the basque country its hard to win a race even in U16s, the best ive come is 5th and the other day i felt bad and when you have a bad day here your like hanging off the back of the peleton on the climbs (which i was... got dropped a bunch of times but got back on) and theres a whole structure youve got to go through before youve any chance of being a pro, youve got juniors and then espoirs so with cadetes thats like 7 years of amauter riding and youve got to be some kind of prodigy, like killing a high standard area like the basque country to become pro after youve finished juniors. a load of the riders im racing against are not ever going to be pros, id say only 4-5 in my category, youve got to be something special to be a pro you cant just make it happen. just ride your bike for fun and see where it gets you, im sorry but if you aim to be a pro your more than likely going to be dissapointed."

Terrible... Anything is possible. Didn't read more then the first 2 sentences before I felt the need to reply. Chris Lieto. Enough said.