How old is too old?

jkxw

Jul 27, 2004
I'm 26 years old. not great shape, but okay. Is it too late to start competitive cycling? How old is too old? Realistically how far do you think I could get starting at 26?

depends on a lot of things, if you take the time to train 10+ hours a week i'd say start racing in the spring as a CAT5 you won't be the worst! Then it all depends on how well you improve but it's not unrealistic to move up to CAT3 before you are 30 if you really work at it.

If you have a gift, 26 isn't too old to start racing and move up to pro level (not Europe but United States) by the time you're early 30's

jkxw said:
I'm 26 years old. not great shape, but okay. Is it too late to start competitive cycling? How old is too old? Realistically how far do you think I could get starting at 26?
Are you kidding? You're perhaps too old to end up a Cat1, or an Olympic medalist, but there's absolutely no reason at all why you couldn't race competetively and be a force locally, or regionally. I'd say only the fewest speed demons racing with local clubs and teams were gung-ho child prodigies.

I suppose it depends on what your expectations are. The vast majority of competetive cyclists race for the heck of it -- they're fast, they take it seriously, they train like crazy and they put money into the effort, but in the end, it's a hobby.

Only the smallest percentage of competetive riders pursue truly pro careers; that, I suppose, might be out of your reach... but who cares? Join a local club, train hard, and kick some a*s!

jkxw said:
Cycling is a 'mature sport.' It takes years of consistent training to reach your potential. Ekimov at 37 just won a silver in athens. Munzer (38) won gold for canada on the track today. Ned overend at 48 came in 25th at the last NORBA national series race. Kenny Williams from seattle is in his late 30's or early 40's and he just got a bronze medal at the USCF time traial national championships. Steve Tilford (in his 40's and a Masters world champion) regularly wins pro races here in the USA.

It's never too late to begin cycling competitively. Where I live the masters classes (age 35+) get the largest turnouts. And category 1 and 2 road racing is loaded with masters athletes. Also, around here almost all the semi pro mountain bike racers are over 30.

It's never to late to become a racer. At 26 you may never become a TDF competitor, but if you have what it takes (genetics) and work hard there's nothing stopping you from reaching category 1 or 2 racing or semi pro mountain biking. It may be a stretch to reach the pro level, but again, if you have the genetics and work hard even that's not unreachable.

I'm a young 41 and looking foreward to my first retirement next year.:D While I don't race, you're never too old to have fun. So what if you don't turn pro? Not many do, at anything. I play golf, but not on the PGA. I go fishing, but I'll most likely never see the Bass Master's Classic except as a spectator. I also like sailing, but I'll never compete for the Louis-Vitton Cup. And hunting, and spearfishing, etc., etc. I enjoy these things because their fun, not because I ever hope to turn pro.

If racing is fun for you, do it. It doesn't matter if you're 26 or 96, you're never too old to have fun and the more you do it, the more experience you'll have and the better you'll do.:)