How old were you when you can ride a bike?

handsomeway

Aug 20, 2012
Let m start first,I learned to ride when I was 9 years old. At that time I think it's cool if I can ride a bicycle.Then I tried again and again on my elementary school campus.And I still remember that I learned ride a bike in about four days. What about you,guys?

I learned to ride on Staten Island (NY) in front of our old house when I was five years old. I remember it distinctly because soon thereafter we moved out of state. It was an amazing feeling of freedom that sticks with you. Fast forward 55 years and I decided to do the Five Borough Tour of NYC knowing that the route would take me within a block of my old house just a mile from the Varranzano Narrows Bridge that crosses over the entrance to NY harbor. Besides the fact that everything had shrunk to half its size as I remembered it, it was a real high and a feeling that I had come full-circle. NY city roads suck, but the ride was worth it.

I think I was 5 or 6 when I first learned to ride. I remember my Dad was helping a family member move out of their house, and I was being quite annoying. My Dad took me down to the local bike shop, bought me a bike without training wheels, and taught me to ride. This was mostly to keep me occupied. I fell a few times of course, but once I learned there was no turning back. Thanx Dad!

I had always said I learned to ride on the bicycle I received on my 4th birthday. But a recent pictured showed me the bicycle I thought had been a gift for me.... was really my older brothers bike that he had lost interest in. However the time-line is correct. I learned to ride the summer of my 4th birthday.

I still remember the alleys and sidewalks I rode on and the feeling of exploration and freedom.

I still have family in the area and return a couple times a year. I have thought about taking a bicycle along with me during a visit to re-live a bit of my childhood... but haven't yet.

I learned fairly late. The bike I got for my seventh birthday had training wheels. I rode it to the end of the block on the sidewalk and tried to round the corner, downhill and a bit off-camber, and dumped it soundly, putting good scratch in the front fender and starting the process by which the headlamp eventually separated from said fender. By summer vacation a couple weeks later I was confidently on two wheels, racing and exploring with my friends all over our section of town and learning how to lay skid marks by locking up the coaster brake. I clearly remember my next most memorable crash of that year, skidding the rear wheel out in a patch of sand. It hurt but it felt good.

Originally Posted by oldbobcat .

I learned fairly late. The bike I got for my seventh birthday had training wheels. I rode it to the end of the block on the sidewalk and tried to round the corner, downhill and a bit off-camber, and dumped it soundly, putting good scratch in the front fender and starting the process by which the headlamp eventually separated from said fender. By summer vacation a couple weeks later I was confidently on two wheels, racing and exploring with my friends all over our section of town and learning how to lay skid marks by locking up the coaster brake. I clearly remember my next most memorable crash of that year, skidding the rear wheel out in a patch of sand. It hurt but it felt good.
Hey,oldbobcat
Thanks for your replay.When i first learned to ride at 9,it's also a wonderful experience to ride with my buddy.He is also 9 and my neighbour.Everyday after shcool we would ride together to everywhere wo can reach.Really sweet memory.I know you are a reputable member on this forum,as a newbie, i would appreciate for your any advice.Thanks a lot.
Tony

I was 9 when I learned to ride a bike. My Dad bought sports lotteries and won a bike for me, it was my first bike. I still remember teaching my little brother to ride and intentionally let go of my hold, and my little brother fell into a ditch. I missed the old times, with my Dad, my family, I miss them all.

Wow, I had to ask my mother about this because I can't remember a time when I couldn't ride. She says that I was three or four. My grandfather was a bicycling fanatic and was trying to teach me how to ride before I could walk, according to her. My first bike was a little blue and white fixed gear bike that was purchased second hand. The next one was a green Huffy with a banana seat and high rise handlebars that lasted me from six to eight when I recieved a proper bike for Christmas, a small sized Schwinn Varsity.

kdelong said:
Wow, I had to ask my mother about this because I can't remember a time when I couldn't ride. She says that I was three or four. My grandfather was a bicycling fanatic and was trying to teach me how to ride before I could walk, according to her. My first bike was a little blue and white fixed gear bike that was purchased second hand. The next one was a green Huffy with a banana seat and high rise handlebars that lasted me from six to eight when I recieved a proper bike for Christmas, a small sized Schwinn Varsity.
I don't remember what my first bike was, just that it was red, the color all fun things should be.

I came to cycling in my 40s.

And my current ride is candy apple red /img/vbsmilies/smilies/smile.gif

I remember an old 16"-wheeled bike, cruiser, full fenders, painted sky blue...with house paint. Stickers all over the back fender. Dad had to get training wheels for it, because I wasn't ready. I have a couple flash memories of riding it, with the TR's, and while I can't remember it, I know I went two-wheeled on it -- because I was ready for the Schwinn Stingray that was next.

Those were the "Leave It to Beaver" days -- so long ago, the first memory of that bike is almost black-and-white! LOL!

When I was 15 years old when I learn to ride a bike, but have not learned. 18 years old, I learned soon, but I will, and I like to ride a bike.

[COLOR= rgb(24, 24, 24)]I am 34years old now,and i can ride a bike when i was 15years old..........[/COLOR]

[COLOR= rgb(24, 24, 24)]Thank you[/COLOR]
<a href="http://www.bizworldusa.com/">[COLOR= rgb(24, 24, 24)]Bizworldusa</a>[/COLOR]

Probably about 7 years old without training wheels is when I remember learning how to really ride a bike. We had a nice big yard and several driveways to ride in. We started even younger with it. The big wheel at maybe 4 or 5. I vaguely remember a bigger tricycle.

If I remember correctly, I was about five years old when I first learned how to ride a bicycle. I had the help of my mother and father, and it was on a cute little red NEXT-brand bicycle with training wheels.

I think I learned to ride a bike when I was either 7 or 8. I might have even been 9?

I know that my brother who is 5 years younger than me leant to ride a bike before me. Yeah it's kinda embarrassing but I was a slow. very nervous learner.