How old were you when you first rode a metric century

Jaguar27 said:
I'm 49 and did my first imperial Century, 100 miles, about 3 weeks ago...I've never done a metric however....
a metric century is just over 62 miles. (100Kms) You have done over that when you rode your imperial century 100 Miles (161Kms).

Yes, I know...but the question was about a Metric Century...in fact, thinking about it, 62 miles may have been the point at which my right elbow locked up, the soles of my feet felt as if they'd been barbequed and I was at the point of falling off my bike and going into a deep coma....;-)

But thanks for the reply mate!

MountainPro said:
a metric century is just over 62 miles. (100Kms) You have done over that when you rode your imperial century 100 Miles (161Kms).

Jaguar27 said:
Yes, I know...but the question was about a Metric Century...in fact, thinking about it, 62 miles may have been the point at which my right elbow locked up, the soles of my feet felt as if they'd been barbequed and I was at the point of falling off my bike and going into a deep coma....;-)

sure, no probs buddy. I just thought it weird when you said you had never ridden 62 miles when you had just ridden 100 miles..

I was 48 the first time I started doing long rides. I had been a bicycle commuter for years before that, but it was then that I decided to go for longer distances, and get ready for The Cycle Oregon. I let myself go in my thirties, but got back in shape in my 40's and look forward to a healthy 50's.

Hmmm....my first year on the road bike....a solo effort. I would have been 38(ish).

Funny thing is it required a tremendous effort on my part but by the following season I was routinely doing metric centuries at a moderate/fast pace on club training rides in preparation for an English century.

If you log regular miles it is amazing to see how fast you can improve your cycling.

Just rode my first one today in a local charity ride. There were several rest stops, and I probably averaged 16-17 mph most of the time. My previous long ride was about 45 miles. Oh yeah, I'm 28, this is my first year of road riding.

I did my first one at 16, it was aprox. 200km. In the same year i did a 55km run too.

Jaguar27 said:

Hey Jaguar-
After last weekends ride, you can say your did a "metric century". We rode 65 miles on the nicest day of the year so far! I look forward to doing it again. As far as myself, I probably did my first metric in the Boy Scouts. I don't really remember or care for that matter. Take Care...