How old were you when you first rode a metric century

What's a metric century - 100 kilometres ? (62 miles ?).

My first 100 mile cycle was done when I was 15 years old.
My first 100 kms was probably done around that time.
(we calculate distances in this country using Imperial measurements).

Between competition and training I have clocked up so far in my cycling career,
over 200,000 miles in all.

55... 3rd yr after big hit of chemo&rad. i did 8 metrics last year and plan to do many more.

cu,
larryb

Last year, after mountain biking for 2 years and road riding for 1, I rode my first 100-miler at 31 years of age.

limerickman said:
What's a metric century - 100 kilometres ? (62 miles ?).

My first 100 mile cycle was done when I was 15 years old.
My first 100 kms was probably done around that time.
(we calculate distances in this country using Imperial measurements).

Between competition and training I have clocked up so far in my cycling career,
over 200,000 miles in all.
Hey next time I will put iin all measurments

Sprinter_989 said:
???????????????????????? LOL What does this have to do with anything? I guess I was around 3.
If you could ride 100K at 3 I could ride a thousand miles you beed to not post if you dont like it you tard

Hi,

I was 40 years old when I rode my first metric century, the Tour De Cure on the Northern California Peninsula. 63 miles, 6100 feet of climbing. This was two years after being diagnosed with CHD (Coronary Heart Disease) and "changin' my ways". I built up a year of more serious riding and commuting to work, and and used the second year for organized rides. (This year, my 41st, and 3rd year of serious riding, I'm scheduled for my first full century, 100 miles.)

Did I mention this was on a recumbent? (1999 RANS Tailwind).

William Henry said:
I was about 14 years old.
14 years old....thats not special...i was about that age.

when i was 14 i cycled Edinburgh to Stirling and back (80 mile round trip) several times.

I rode my first 100 KM when I was 17 and my first 100 miles when I was 18 (in cold pouring rain).

What an experience! It was one of those defining moments in life. It was cold and rainy and I had not dressed properly nor brought enough food. About half way through I wanted to quit and hop in the warm, dry sag-wag but a pep-talk from the organizer, a snickers bar, and a dry fleece pull-over motivated me to finish the last few hours.

I put my head down and pushed myself. About 15 minutes later I looked back and realized I had left the others far behind. I pushed on and actually started making good time. I arrived at the finish area so long before people expected me that no one was there. (there was supposed to be refreshments and a welcoming crew)

Turns out I arrived 45 minutes before the other group. It wasn't a "race" but I won a trophy for being the first to finish.

I did my first metric century (actually 74 miles) at around 34 (last year). I am new to this sport but have two kids who I've gotten started riding. My son also completed his first metric century last year with me and he's 12. This year we plan to do a 100 mile ride and my daughter will do a metric century as well, she's 10. I know of another girl who rode her first metric century (75 miles) at 10 years old and she completed her first 100 mile century at the age of 11.

Dan.

BanditManDan said:
I know of another girl who rode her first metric century (75 miles) at 10 years old and she completed her first 100 mile century at the age of 11.
you know, there are laws against that type of thing...:D

At 38, last year when I started cycling on the road after 5 years at MTB.

Now I make about 245 Kms every week end (aprox. 150 miles)

MountainPro said:
14 years old....thats not special...i was about that age.

when i was 14 i cycled Edinburgh to Stirling and back (80 mile round trip) several times.

I dont think he was saying it was special or anythin'...... :p

BanditManDan said:
How's the riding in Mexico? My wife is from there and it sounds like a great place to ride.

Well, I have to start saying that our roads are not so smooth and there are not some wonderful bike paths that runs freeway side between the woods ...

Despite the previous statement, riding in México it's great, Monterrey have a good cycling tradition, Raul Alcalá (1992 Tour de France stage winner) born here, Veronica Leal (running professional for an Itali's girl team) too, Ivan Ordoñez was running XC for Orbea in Spain two years ago, Manuel Serrano is in Germany in a sub-league team ...

We have several clubs, a "classic" race that has been raced for 67 years in a row, Criteriums Serial, Master's league, XC league, etc.

If you decide to visit this Monterrey some day, I can guarantee you a 120 Kms. Saturday ride with 40+ riders and a Sunday 80 Kms. Criterium race or another 110 Kms. ride with 6 or 8 friends.

First metric: 36 - 2003 Assault on Marion (ordinarily the first 72 miles of the Assault on Mt. Mitchell) on a borrowed road bike (first road bike I'd ridden since my old 10-speed in high school) in steady rain

First English century: 37 - April 2004 club ride
Second (and thus far, only other) English century: 37 - 2004 Assault on Mt. Mitchell in a blistering (at least to my posterior) 11 1/2 hours

I'm 49 and did my first imperial Century, 100 miles, about 3 weeks ago...I've never done a metric however....

I don't know whether everyone's first Century is a disater but mine certainly was...even though I'd done some online research and asked a few seasoned riders for some tips...

So this was me:

1. 4 hours sleep the night before.

2. No preperation/training. I ride as often as I can, 2800 miles last year, the most in one ride was 54 miles...

3. No Breakfast, no Coffee or Tea even!! I can't function without a nice Cuppa in the morning...

4. I was advised to get into a group at my pace...which I did...I was drafting along quite nicely when I got laughing/talking and generaly yapping to a couple of Blokes and let the group I was with drop me....(I'll catch up I thought...yeah right)

5. Only the 3rd ride on my new Bike...

I never knew it was possible to bonk so many times in one day and still complete a ride....
:eek:

In retrospect it was great fun, and for a good cause... I know what to expect next time......

Mind you, I was really happy, I hurt about the same after that Century as I did after my first (12 mile ) ride two years ago, no aches or pains the next Day, it's amazing how much good Cycling can do for you.... :)