How old were you when you got your first really nice bike?

Brink

Guest
How old were you when you got your first really nice bike and what was it?

I got a cheap mountain bike from the local bike shop at age 21.( Mongoose hiltopper)

I got a really nice road bike this year at age 29. (Tommasini techno ultegra components)

Why did i wait so long?

Well at least i saw the light!

----Brink

Brink <[email protected]> wrote:
: How old were you when you got your first really nice bike and what was it?

: I got a cheap mountain bike from the local bike shop at age 21.( Mongoose hiltopper)

: I got a really nice road bike this year at age 29. (Tommasini techno ultegra components)

: Why did i wait so long?

: Well at least i saw the light!

: ----Brink

I was 10. My parents, who were a bit poor, bought me a second hand red huffy. It had a cool gas tank
looking thing on it and chrome fenders. I loved the bike. I have had nicer bikes, but that one was
the best. This was in the early 60's.

--------------------------------
Bob Masse' [email protected]
--------------------------------

In article <[email protected]>, Brink
<[email protected]> wrote:

> How old were you when you got your first really nice bike and what was it?
>
> I got a cheap mountain bike from the local bike shop at age 21.( Mongoose hiltopper)
>
> I got a really nice road bike this year at age 29. (Tommasini techno ultegra components)
>
> Why did i wait so long?
>
> Well at least i saw the light!
>
> ----Brink

My brother got a Peugeot when he was 18 and I was 11 (this was 1955 when Peugeots were the thing);
it wasn't mine but I did get to ride it. I didn't get my own Peugeot until I was 36. Shoulda done
it sooner.

"Brink" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> How old were you when you got your first really nice bike and what was it?
>
> I got a cheap mountain bike from the local bike shop at age 21.( Mongoose hiltopper)
>
> I got a really nice road bike this year at age 29. (Tommasini techno ultegra components)
>
> Why did i wait so long?
>
> Well at least i saw the light!

First 'cool' bike - 12ish, 3 speed Rollfast Spyder. Gearshift on the top tube, wide slick, tall
sissybar. Mostly destroyed doing jumps off the huge dirtmounds in the front yard.

First real bike - 15ish, Atala Giro d' Italia. The real triangle and headtube are being put to use
as part of a future LWB recumbent project.

Pete

> How old were you when you got your first really nice bike and what was it?

1970 (Iwas 15 at the time) -- a Gitane Tour de France (Reynolds 531 double-butted throughout,
tubular tires, $199.50 new) -- I'm still riding that bike (which remains my only steed)
before that, a Raleigh Super Course (531 main tubes, not double-butted), and before that a
Schwinn Varsity (bought used -- way too small for me). Both owned for ~6 months before
upgrading.

- Skip

No bike I purchase will ever be as nice as the single-speed, gleaming green Schwinn I got for
Christmas when I was in third grade! No $4,000 carbon-fiber high-tech wonder will ever match the
excitement I felt when I got that beauty! This was in 1958 or so, you understand.

(big sigh)

"Brink" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> How old were you when you got your first really nice bike and what was it?
>
> I got a cheap mountain bike from the local bike shop at age 21.( Mongoose hiltopper)
>
> I got a really nice road bike this year at age 29. (Tommasini techno ultegra components)
>
> Why did i wait so long?
>
> Well at least i saw the light!
>
> ----Brink

my dad was a bike nut back when he was my age now (22), so i got a bike was i was 3 or 4. it was a
dark red BMX style coaster brake bike (it was the '80s they were "the thing") with 16" wheels, dark
red metalic paint and pads. i still remember how it looked in the living room that Christmas with
the bow on the bars. i rode it until it was waaay to small and got a 20" BMX bike when i was 7 or
so. it had a coaster in back and a sidepull in front, no pads, and with wheel disks (totally rad
1988). i rode in a charity ride when i was in third grade, 1988 and was supposed to ride five miles
but accidently rode 15 all on a hard plastic seat. when i was 11 i got a huffy "stone mountain" ATB
for my birthday which i rode through the woods once and promptly broke. i then saved up my cash and
got a raleigh M40 that i rode until my sophomore year in college. i am 6' tall and the frame was
14.5 C to C so i replaced with a giant MTB that i rode until it got stolen. i loved that bike so
damn much errrr. put together my current bike at 20. it's an early 80's columbus SL lugged frame and
it's the best bike i've ever had, so for a "nice bike" i guess 3, but it seems to just keep getting
better. alfred

On 12 Sep 2003 19:14:12 -0700, [email protected] (Brink) wrote:

>How old were you when you got your first really nice bike and what was it?

Semi-nice bike was a 20-year old Raleigh Record Sprint; $75 at a local pawnshop. Now (still!) sadly
out of commission. I was 21.

Really nice bike was a 2001 Jamis Aurora. I was also 21.

it's kind of tough to justify RealBike money if you're still growing, especially when your family
still thinks you're unbelievably eccentric for wanting to ride in the road.

-Luigi

> How old were you when you got your first really nice bike and what was it?
>
> I got a cheap mountain bike from the local bike shop at age 21.( Mongoose hiltopper)
>
> I got a really nice road bike this year at age 29. (Tommasini techno ultegra components)
>
> Why did i wait so long?
>
> Well at least i saw the light!
>
> ----Brink

I finally bought myself a decent bike two months ago, at age 31. I wish I had done so earlier,
riding a nice bike is much more enjoyable than I anticipated. But, one does not always have
the funds.

I had commuted for years on my brother's old Rocky Mountain, nice bike, but not really set
up for me.

I moved to Paris and picked up an inexpensive bike, but I didn't really like it that much, and I
wasn't sure how much riding I was going to do, the traffic here freaked me out, until I got used to
it. But in retrospect, I think traffic here is better compared to Vancouver (where I used to live).
The point is that at the time I couldn't justify purchasing an expensive bike.

I was visiting family in Vancouver in July and was toying with the idea of getting myself a touring
bike, and the next thing I know I am riding around Paris with my new Devinci Caribou. And I have
several rides planned in the next few weeks.

I love my new bike.

On 12 Sep 2003 19:14:12 -0700, [email protected] (Brink) wrote:

>How old were you when you got your first really nice bike and what was it?

32, and it was a GT mountain bike.

6 years later, the stable has grown to 5, the GT is a stripped down frame, and I work at the LBS. I
haven't picked up the golf clubs or the radio control airplanes in 4 seasons. A great day for golf
or flying is now an even better day for a ride. I feel much better than I did in my mid-twenties.

The first ride's free, the rest seem to pay me. <G>

Barry

"sparker" <[email protected]> a écrit dans le message de
news:[email protected]...

> > How old were you when you got your first really nice bike and what was it?
> >
> > I got a cheap mountain bike from the local bike shop at age 21.( Mongoose hiltopper)
> >
> > I got a really nice road bike this year at age 29. (Tommasini techno ultegra components)
> >
> > Why did i wait so long?
> >
> > Well at least i saw the light!
> >
> > ----Brink
>
> I finally bought myself a decent bike two months ago, at age 31. I wish I had done so earlier,
> riding a nice bike is much more enjoyable than I anticipated. But, one does not always have
> the funds.
>
> I had commuted for years on my brother's old Rocky Mountain, nice bike,
but
> not really set up for me.
>
> I moved to Paris and picked up an inexpensive bike, but I didn't really
like
> it that much, and I wasn't sure how much riding I was going to do, the traffic here freaked me
> out, until I got used to it. But in retrospect, I think traffic here is better compared to
> Vancouver (where I used to live).

Yeah, but the !*ç¨*ing pedestrians are worse in Paris. They're the ones you've got to watch out for
(unless you tool around at under 15 kph.)

---

50. KHS ATB

actually all of my bikes have been "really nice" . In our family there were 4 kids/2 adults. 2 bikes
between the 6 of us. I remember riding the "boys bike" throught the frame, and having to hold my
arms up to reach the handlebars on the "girls bike". Maybe that is why I got the used 2 wheeler.

Have had others, CCM , Supercycle, Venture, but then I started reading this newsgroup. ;^)

My experience is that "you will get the bike you need"

take care Liz

Hey! Look what [email protected] (Brink) wrote :

>How old were you when you got your first really nice bike and what was it?

"Skip" <[email protected]> a écrit dans le message de
news:[email protected]...
> > How old were you when you got your first really nice bike and what was
it?

> 1970 (Iwas 15 at the time) -- a Gitane Tour de France (Reynolds 531 double-butted throughout,
> tubular tires, $199.50 new)

1973 Gitane Tour de France for my 13th birthday. Like other big ticket items that I wanted, I had to
pay 1/2 of it and my parents paid the other half. I shovelled sidewalks that winter to get my half
of the $140. I ended up growing too big for it and giving it to a girlfriend.

---

> Brink <[email protected]> wrote:
> : How old were you when you got your first really nice bike and what was it?
>
> : I got a cheap mountain bike from the local bike shop at age 21.( Mongoose hiltopper)
>
> : I got a really nice road bike this year at age 29. (Tommasini techno ultegra components)
>
> : Why did i wait so long?
>
> : Well at least i saw the light!
>
> : ----Brink

1957 at age 13

My father brought home a Raleigh, built in Nottingham, England ( I think ).

Black and white fenders, chain guard, Sturmey Archer 3 speed, generator light, and wicker basket!

Oh what a beauty!

HAND

> > it that much, and I wasn't sure how much riding I was going to do, the traffic here freaked me
> > out, until I got used to it. But in retrospect,
> > think traffic here is better compared to Vancouver (where I used to
live).

> Yeah, but the !*ç¨*ing pedestrians are worse in Paris. They're the ones you've got to watch out
> for (unless you tool around at under 15 kph.)

Good point. The ped's have all returned from their vacations and need to be retrained.

Brink <[email protected]> wrote:
: How old were you when you got your first really nice bike and what was it?

: I got a cheap mountain bike from the local bike shop at age 21.( Mongoose hiltopper)

I was 23 when I went for Nishiki 601 hybrid. 24 speeds. A huge improvement over the old 3-speed
bike... really made me a cyclist :)

: I got a really nice road bike this year at age 29. (Tommasini techno ultegra components)

At 29 I got my first recumbent. Dura-Ace bar end shifters and Ultegra rear cassette. Not such a rush
as the first bike, but I ride it more and it's very nice and there will be interesting experiences
for a good time to come. http://www.helsinki.fi/~rvaranka/hpv/viper.html

: Why did i wait so long?

It's the money thing.

> How old were you when you got your first really nice bike and what was it?

I was 8. My parents got something at a garage sale. It was single speed (I was trendy waaaaay ahead
of my time) had a banana seat and was the best d*mn bike ever. I rode that bike more often and had
more fun than on anything I've ever owned or ever will.

If you are asking what was my first LBS bike, it was a Univega 10 speed (actually, by then I think
they were up to 12 speeds) my freshman year of college.

On a scale from 0-100, having no bike is a 0, XMart bikes come in at 90, and all the flavors of
"really nice bike" just fill up 91-100.

> Brink <[email protected]> wrote:
> : How old were you when you got your first really nice bike and what was it?

Bike #1: Blue Ross "Convertible" bike (removable 'gas' tank turned it into a boys/girls bike
as needed).

Got it when I was... 6? (1980) My paranoid mother tried to keep the training wheels on it--- but my
dad gave me a set of tools for my seventh birthday.

"Golightly F." <[email protected]> wrote in message news:D[email protected]...

> "Brink" <[email protected]>
> > How old were you when you got your first really nice bike and what was it?

31 years old. Got a Centurion road/street bike (12sp?), Shimano gears, red. Non euro choices at that
time seemed to be Niko or Centurion. Niko was more highly thought of and pricier. I think mine was
$249 which was real bucks in those days. Great for San Diego. La Jolla couple thousand people, Del
Mar less than 2000 persons. Easy riding from Encinitas to Pacific Beach. No MTB, BMX, Cruiser,
Comfort, yada yada in those days. Single or three speed Sears level bikes or something imported from
dedicated bike shop. Gave it away to contractor's gofer working on my house in 1988. Howard

---