How old were you when you .... ?

thruxton

Apr 24, 2006
I'm 64 and in good shape. I'd like to start racing at the Hellyer Park Velodrome this Summer but am unsure of my ability to be competitive ( or at least stay out of the way ). I know all of us have different athletic abilities and motivations but to help me put some of my doubts into perspective I'd like to know when you started racing and when you quit if you have. If you're no longer racing, why did you stop? Thanx - will appreciate any feedback.

thruxton said:
I'm 64 and in good shape. I'd like to start racing at the Hellyer Park Velodrome this Summer but am unsure of my ability to be competitive ( or at least stay out of the way )..
I understand your concerns, but don't think your poll will do anything to alleviate your fears. A lot of us started young, some started older. One of the best NorCal cyclists I ever knew started in his 40's and really hit his stride in his late 50's. Hellyer has a great weekend training program that should already be going this time of year. It's one of the most supportive environments I know of to check out racing. If the Saturday sessions go well then try some Wednesday night racing or enter some of the individual events like the pursuit and kilo at districts if you don't feel competitive and safe in the mass start events. Don't let age or other's experiences determine whether or not to give it a go.

Good luck,
Dave

If anybody cares, I was never in a bicycle race.
I used to swim and run competitively at a much younger age than I am now, though. I am a racing phobic, actually.

Jacob