How perfect should a bike feel to you at time of purchase?

McLoki

Oct 7, 2010
Hello brand new to the forum but wanted to post a question for you all.
I purchased a 1986 Bridgestone 450 new in 1987. It was WAY to large for me (63.6cm frame for my 5' 9.5" - 34" cycle inseam, 200# body) but apparently Montgomery Wards did not hire the best in cycle fitters.... /img/vbsmilies/smilies/tongue.gif Anyway - I have been riding that since I purchased it (with a long break for the last 15 years or so) and have recently gotten back into riding. I rode the bridgestone this summer and it has worked pretty well (the stretch to the bars is not that uncomfortable for me and I can get the seat pedal relationship adjusted ok by moving the seat as far forward as possible.

Since I am very used to an oversized bike - the fit does not bother me that much. I would like something a little more comfortable from a vibration to the bars standpoint (my bridstone is steel (which I like) but the handlebar tape has no padding at all and my hands fall asleep on longer rides), the 6 speed cassette in the back does not offer the range of gearing I would like (the jump from one to the other is a bigger step than i would like at times) and the downtube shifters that were quite cool back in the day, just cannot hold a candle to shifting at the break levers. - Long story short, my bike does work for me as is, but since it does not really fit me well, it is not worth upgrading it to the latest components and I would like a new bike.

I tried some various 56 and 58cm bikes and while I am ok on both, the 56m typically seems a little more comfortable to me. I have test rode the following bikes (not a lot I know - but this is what I rode and in order of how much I liked them...)

• Specialized Tarmc (double with 105 components - 56cm) - Very nice and comfortable. Immediately felt great on the bike fit like a glove with no real adjustments being needed. Would be my number one choice if money were no object ($2,800) Have looked at used and they seem to go for around $2,000+ still out of my price range.
  • Specialized Roubaix - 56cm - I tested the lower carbon model (about $2,200) and it was a very nice ride. Did not make me want it as much as the tarmac did, but was still comfortable and I could easily be happy riding it for many many miles. Would need some adjustmets (not as out of the box perfect as the Tarmac) but very livable.
  • Cannondale Synapse (Carbon 5 - 56cm) - ok bike, nothing really exciting. Fit was ok with little adjustment, but it just did not make me want it as I rode it. Was ok, but just not really for me. Price was about the same as the Specialized above.
  • Specialized Tri-Cross 58cm - only bike I tested that was really in my price range. (around $1,200 - $1,500 I think). Felt a little large, but got comfortable with it fairly quickly. Actually felt very similar to my old Bridgestone, but with the newer components and a more comfortable ride.

The above were all tested new at various local bike stores. I have been on the look out for something used, but I wanted the ride of carbon and used carbon bikes seemed to all still be around $2,000 or more. I was all set to purchase a motobecane Immortal or LeChampion when I came across an E-Bay listed for a 1997 Scott CR-1 Pro. It seemed pretty well cared for, the components and frame I wanted and they offered a 7 day return if I did not like it. I won the auction for about $1200 (even in my price range).

I got the bike in and had the local bike store check it out for me - Original owner said he had about 4,000 - 5,000 miles or so on it but had maintained it pretty well. (Frame was in very good shape, had obviously been ridden with a few rock chips and such, but did not appear to have been wrecked ever, Chain is at about 50% (Original owner had stated that he had repaced the chain a few times), shifter cables are great (had been replaced by original owner) but the rear brake cable needs to be replaced and the shifters adjusted (only about $80 at the LBS). Wheels seem very straight (mavic Equipe) and while not light by todays standards, seem very nice and durable from what I was coming off of and will work well for the riding that I do.

I have until Monday to return it if it does not work out for me so here are my questions.....

I would say I like it as much as the Roubaix (but does not fit out of the box like the Tarmac did). I am going to the LBS for a fitting tonight to hopefully dial that in a little better. The ride is very nice and the shifters work well (even a little out of adjustment as they are).

Considering the bike is 10pounds lighter than my old one, I expected to be a little faster on it. It does feel quicker, but my average speeds seem about the same as what they were with my old bike. Speed was not a big purchasing factor for me, so not a big deal, just surprising to me.

The Stem on the bike is 110mm, but the reach to the bars seems longer (or maybe just lower) than the bridgestone was. I will find out at the fitting tonight, but I am guessing I will need more like a 90mm stem and flip it for more rise. Once again - it is not what I am used to, but still not uncomfortable on 20 mile rides, so maybe it would be best to leave it and see if I get used to it.

Basically, I think the bike will work out well for me, but it is not love at first ride like the Tarmac was. It is great that I got it in my price range (and low enough I can cover the expenses of the fit and the minor adjustments needed and still be in my price range) but it is still a lot of money to spend. My real question comes down to this - should a bike fit you like a glove out of the box reguardless of price, or do you just settle for one in your budget that you are comfortable on and then try to get it to fit you a closely as possible? While the CR-1 does meet all my objectives in getting a new bike very well and is a bike I could happily ride for many years, it is still not that perfect match the tarmac was for me. Do you recommend doubling the budget to get the perfect match or staying where I am and keep the bike that does seem like it will work for me and just make the changes needed to make it fit my body type a little better?

The more you are use to riding a bike the better you can judge the fit , however you will always have to get use to any new ride. Lest face it sitting on a thin piece of leather stretched out over a narrow frame is not natural position for a human but if the fit is right it should not be painful either.
Give it a little time and afew mile to adjust yourself.

You did not mention the size of the bike you purchased. The most important feature of a bike is fit. If you purchased this bike based on frame material and components and not size you have made a mistake and need to return it as soon as possible. If it is sized correctly than you do need to become adjusted to the new riding position and components.

Originally Posted by davereo .

You did not mention the size of the bike you purchased. The most important feature of a bike is fit. If you purchased this bike based on frame material and components and not size you have made a mistake and need to return it as soon as possible. If it is sized correctly than you do need to become adjusted to the new riding position and components.

Sorry - the bike I purchased is a 1997 Scott CR-1, Size 56cm. it should fit me very well. I am actually going after work tonight to the LBS to get fitted for the bike. (mainly for the cleats in my new shoespedals - but also seat, stem, etc). I figured that would be a good way to determine if it is a "fit" issue or a "used to the bike" issue. I will report back and let you know what I find out.

Barring any bad news from the fit this evening, I plan to keep the bike and try and get as many miles with it as possible this year and next. Since I purchased it used, if it does not work out in a year or so, I should be able to sell it for not a great loss over what I paid. I know for many of you, spending $1,200 on a bike would not get you close to a decent trainer - but it is all the budget I have and I really do not want to repeat my last mistake and keep a bike that is not right for me for another 25 years. My biggest issue is that I really do not know what a properly fit bike should feel like as I have not really had one. I am hoping the fitting this evening should put most of my fears to rest (or let me know I need to return it - one or the other)

Thanks everyone. Any other opinions, I would love to hear them.

Michael

A 1997 CR-1? I'd pay that money for a 2007 CR-1 at a pinch...

Your bike should fit you pretty well with the stock stem. Unless there's a really pressing need to keep to a particular frame size and use a mini-me stubby stem then if it doesn't fit with something in the 9 to 12 cm range then maybe it's time to look at something else.

Having a fairly neutral length stem (such as a 110mm for a 56/58cm bike) is a good think with regards to weight distribution - which will help in the corners and downhills. Having too much weight on the front wheel is never great and you normally find that the guys with the long legs and monkey arms normally have the seat fairly well back and a long stem.

At 5'9" and 200lbs with a 34" inseam I'd say that a 58cm frame would probably serve you better than a 56cm but it's dependant too on how long your arms are. I noticed when I was looking at bikes earlier this year that bike shops, out in the SF Bay Area at least, want to get you on a really small frame. I'm 5'11", a 34" inseam and fairly long arms and they were "guestimating" my frame size as a 54 or a 56. Fark that. LOL. I'd need a telegraph pole for a seat pin and some scafold for a stem.

Originally Posted by swampy1970 .

A 1997 CR-1? I'd pay that money for a 2007 CR-1 at a pinch...

Your bike should fit you pretty well with the stock stem. Unless there's a really pressing need to keep to a particular frame size and use a mini-me stubby stem then if it doesn't fit with something in the 9 to 12 cm range then maybe it's time to look at something else.

Having a fairly neutral length stem (such as a 110mm for a 56/58cm bike) is a good think with regards to weight distribution - which will help in the corners and downhills. Having too much weight on the front wheel is never great and you normally find that the guys with the long legs and monkey arms normally have the seat fairly well back and a long stem.

At 5'9" and 200lbs with a 34" inseam I'd say that a 58cm frame would probably serve you better than a 56cm but it's dependant too on how long your arms are. I noticed when I was looking at bikes earlier this year that bike shops, out in the SF Bay Area at least, want to get you on a really small frame. I'm 5'11", a 34" inseam and fairly long arms and they were "guestimating" my frame size as a 54 or a 56. Fark that. LOL. I'd need a telegraph pole for a seat pin and some scafold for a stem.
Sorry - 2007 CR-1... (at 44 I seem to be losing my mind...)

The bike does have the stock stem on it (110mm) but it seems to stretch me out much more than my old Bridgestone did. (not that it fit correctly - I just expected to be closer is all) Part of it could be that on my old bike, the seat was VERY low (like almost as low as it could go) so the seat to bars height relationship was pretty close. On the CR-1, I have the stem flat right now (not angled up). It could just be I am reaching lower than I was. Would a photo or video tell you much about how it fits me? (I could try and take some pics of me on the bike when I get home)

I was looking at 56 or 58cm bikes. (bike shops here kept pushing the 54's as well, but I don't like the seat THAT far above the frame. They start to look like a mountain bike setup to me.) From the ones I rode, I could have gone with either, but I seemed to fit a little better on the 56 so that is what I got. (since I did not know the geometry of the scott - I knew I should be able to get a 56 to fit correctly, I was not as sure that all 58's would fit as well.

Anyway - if it will help, I will take a quick video after my fitting tongiht and you can see what you think of the fit with me riding the bike. (from a body position in motion point of view)

Thanks again.

Michael

Went to the LBS and had a fitting this evening. They got the cleats in my shoes adjusted correctly, adjusted the seat and recommended a new stem for me. (which I purchased) 90mm x 16degree. It is currently installed with max rise (flipped??).

All in all, the bike is much more comfortable for me. I feel much more relaxed riding it both in the drops and hoods. When I sight down at the front hub, it is now hidden behind the handlebar (both in the hoods and drops).

Anyway - I think I will be keeping it. :)

Michael

Edit - Corrected Stem degree of rise...