How quiet is the Kurt Kinetics?

Cusp

Sep 17, 2006
I live in a very old apartment and would love to start using an indoor trainer. I recently purchased a Cycleops Mag trainer. Well - at a decent tempo that thing is loud and vibrates like no other. Unacceptable. haha.

How is the Kurt compared to a Mag trainer? I'm not talking about road feel ... main concern is noise.

Thanks!

Fluid trainers in general are much quieter than mag. trainers. While in my garage training this winter, my riding partner showed up with a mag trainer, we couldn't even talk to each other without yelling at the top of our lungs while he rode that thing. That was the only time, he went out and bought a KK, nice and quiet. I don't believe that there is a substantial difference in the level of noise between the different brands of fluid trainers, KK should be perfect for you.

Cusp said:
I live in a very old apartment and would love to start using an indoor trainer. I recently purchased a Cycleops Mag trainer. Well - at a decent tempo that thing is loud and vibrates like no other. Unacceptable. haha.

How is the Kurt compared to a Mag trainer? I'm not talking about road feel ... main concern is noise.

Thanks!
I have a Cycleops Magneto progressive resistant trainer and it is very quiet. I can finally have a normal conversation with it. I had an older Blackburn magnetic trainer that had a bent spindle. Ever so slightly bent, but enough to vibrate the unit into delirium. I would bet those trainers that are noisey, are not true. If you tighten the knob to tight against the wheel, it will bend the spindle inside. Read the instructions, most manufacturers recommend not to overtighten the knob.

rwinthenorth said:
I have a Cycleops Magneto progressive resistant trainer and it is very quiet. I can finally have a normal conversation with it. I had an older Blackburn magnetic trainer that had a bent spindle. Ever so slightly bent, but enough to vibrate the unit into delirium. I would bet those trainers that are noisey, are not true. If you tighten the knob to tight against the wheel, it will bend the spindle inside. Read the instructions, most manufacturers recommend not to overtighten the knob.

I use the Conti training tire ... and only like 2 turns of the knob after I have very slight contact. Very loud.

Idealy would be great if my drivetrain is louder than the resistance unit.

Cusp said:

Thanks!
I built a removable box containing baffles and sound deadening batts and put it over my extremely noisy Minoura mag trainer. Works perfectly.

I have two mag trainers and a fluid trainer. In some workouts I prefer the Minoura mag because of its selection of resistances and that those resistances can be quickly changed when doing, say, ultra short intervals.

My fan is much louder than my KK Road Machine. I can easily watch TV or my Spinervals DVD's with both of them though.