How rubbish is Evans Cycles?

Kevin

Guest
My wife has ordered a Trek City bike from Evans as part of the Cycle
to Work scheme. 5 weeks later we are still waiting for the damn thing
to come into stock. Evans' website said that there was stock of the
bike when we ordered only to be told after we ordered it that they had
run out of stock. She has rung them every week asking for a leadtime
for stock to be delivered only to be told by the customer advisor that
they would check and get back to her. Nada, nothing, not one customer
advisor called her back. What a bunch of idiots. I've tried to tell
her to cancel the order and get it from a smaller more customer
responsive shop. Does anyone have any ideas? Must have an online
presence and be very reliable.

Thanks,
Kevin.

On Jun 1, 1:50 pm, Kevin <[email protected]> wrote:
> My wife has ordered a Trek City bike from Evans as part of the Cycle
> to Work scheme. 5 weeks later we are still waiting for the damn thing
> to come into stock. Evans' website said that there was stock of the
> bike when we ordered only to be told after we ordered it that they had
> run out of stock. She has rung them every week asking for a leadtime
> for stock to be delivered only to be told by the customer advisor that
> they would check and get back to her. Nada, nothing, not one customer
> advisor called her back. What a bunch of idiots. I've tried to tell
> her to cancel the order and get it from a smaller more customer
> responsive shop. Does anyone have any ideas? Must have an online
> presence and be very reliable.
>
> Thanks,
> Kevin.

I've just bought a Marin hybrid from the Edinburgh Bike Co-operative:
http://www.edinburghbicycle.com/
I bought mine from the Manchester branch but the website and bricks
and mortar shops seem relatively "joined up" (unlike some other
retailers!). Even though my bike was "special order" (small frame
size) they were very quick and had the thing set up and ready to go
earlier than they had estimated.
I don't think they do Trek bikes but they do have lots of city/hybrids
from Marin/Specialized/Ridgeback and their "own brand" Revolution
models seem to be fantastic value for money.

Brendan

On Jun 1, 1:50�pm, Kevin <[email protected]> wrote:
> My wife has ordered a Trek City bike from Evans as part of the Cycle
> to Work scheme. 5 weeks later we are still waiting for the damn thing
> to come into stock. Evans' website said that there was stock of the
> bike when we ordered only to be told after we ordered it that they had
> run out of stock. She has rung them every week asking for a leadtime
> for stock to be delivered only to be told by the customer advisor that
> they would check and get back to her. Nada, nothing, not one customer
> advisor called her back. What a bunch of idiots. I've tried to tell
> her to cancel the order and get it from a smaller more customer
> responsive shop. Does anyone have any ideas?  Must have an online
> presence and be very reliable.
>
> Thanks,
> Kevin.

Kevin, Can you get down to a store? A face-to-face chat with a store
manager (not a shopfloor dogsbody) should sort it. Trek's UK
headquarters is in Milton Keynes so there really shouldn't be an
excuse for a long wait for a delivery. Tell the manager of the online
situation and that you are prepared to wait a short while for a bike
to come in before you cancel and take your business elsewhere. In
return you want him to throw a decent lock (or set of lights) into the
deal free of charge. Alternatively, contact Trek UK direct. They might
be able to point you towards a good bike dealer in your area. It's
generally a good idea to go to a small shop, they "should" appreciate
you more

> She has rung them every week asking for a leadtime
> for stock to be delivered only to be told by the customer advisor that
> they would check and get back to her. Nada, nothing, not one customer
> advisor called her back. What a bunch of idiots.

5 weeks? Sounds like neither Evans or the UK distributor had them in
stock. The bike is probably on a boat from Taiwan. Bike sales are up (by
lots) over this time last year, so it's a problem that affects a number of
manufacturers/models (try getting hold of a Specialized Enduro - if it
ain't in stock they ain't getting one 'til the '08 model).

> I've tried to tell
> her to cancel the order and get it from a smaller more customer
> responsive shop. Does anyone have any ideas? Must have an online
> presence and be very reliable.

Cancelling the order could be a good idea, but only if you can place the
new one with a shop that has it in stock - if the shop has to order one in
they'll probably be in the same situation as Evans. After asking the Trek
UK (or whoever the UK distributor is) they'll come up with a delivery time
that should be accurate.

Uncle Choppy <[email protected]> wrote:

> On Jun 1, 1:50 pm, Kevin <[email protected]> wrote:
> > My wife has ordered a Trek City bike from Evans as part of the Cycle
> > to Work scheme. 5 weeks later we are still waiting for the damn thing
> > to come into stock.

<snip>

> > I've tried to tell her to cancel the order and get it from a smaller
> > more customer responsive shop. Does anyone have any ideas? Must
> > have an online presence and be very reliable.

> I've just bought a Marin hybrid from the Edinburgh Bike Co-operative:
> http://www.edinburghbicycle.com/
> I bought mine from the Manchester branch but the website and bricks
> and mortar shops seem relatively "joined up" (unlike some other
> retailers!). Even though my bike was "special order" (small frame
> size) they were very quick and had the thing set up and ready to go
> earlier than they had estimated.
> I don't think they do Trek bikes but they do have lots of city/hybrids
> from Marin/Specialized/Ridgeback and their "own brand" Revolution
> models seem to be fantastic value for money.

Seconded. The Revolution Courier Nexus is still getting rave reviews
from my wife.

Cheers,
Luke

exile in Lancashire <http://www.shrimper.org.uk>

[SIZE=10.0pt]Evans Cycles, has anyone else had any safety issues with Evans. Recently purchased a Specialized Expedition for my daughter, they set it up and when she rode it they had not set the handlebar stem correctly and she nearly crashed as it came loose, took it back they re set it and again it happened, they are saying I tampered with it. Guildford store manager, customer services manager and CEO have just blown me off. [/SIZE]
[SIZE=10.0pt]Did get a full re fund but just wanted everyone to know their mechanics are useless and non of the management have any integrity.[/SIZE]

Iv dealt with Evans and on the whole I have found them to be fine. They price matched my bike for me as well as giving me £30 for a service as my nearest store was over 200 miles away. I would have no problems recommending them.