How safe is biking with all that traffic?

Crusader370

May 27, 2007
Hi All,

I am sure this question has been asked a million times, but I can't find a similar recent thread to refer to. I would like to start biking, to commute and for pleasure. However, I am very concerned about safety. Are there any statistics that exist with regards to bike safety? NOT the number of deaths, as that is useless without knowing how many people actually use bikes and for how long and how often. All sources on the Internet that I found seemed to be biased towards making bikes safer than they are, or so it seemed.

Is there a guide or something like that that I can read to teach me how to be as safe as posstible on the road? One thing that I never undestood, for example, is when you have a red light on a traffic light, all the cyclists overtake the cars, because they can go in between them. But then what do they do afterwards? They can't keep up with the cars, so the cars have to overtake them again. What if the car wants to turn right, and a cyclists wants to go forward? The car could easily pick up the cyclist with it while turning right.

Lastly, what kind of bike should I get? I am thinking one of the cheap hybrid ones, for my first bike. Something like 150 Canadian dollars from Zellers, Canadian Tire or Walmart.

Any advice?

Thanks,

Crusader

Oh yeah, and one more thing? How resistant are bikes to water? If I go to university and leave it outside, and it rains, that can't be good for the chain and the other metal parts, can it? How do you handle this?

Statistically, cycling is safer than walking. Cyclecraft by John Franklin is a good beginner's guide.

http://www.cyclecraft.co.uk/book.html

I hope that you never jump reds on a bike. Filtering is fine, but take care when doing it; pedestrians can be crossing, traffic might still be turning into or emerging from side-roads even after all movement seems to have stopped, and vehicle occupants never look out for cyclists when opening car dooors.

Crusader370 said:
Oh yeah, and one more thing? How resistant are bikes to water? If I go to university and leave it outside, and it rains, that can't be good for the chain and the other metal parts, can it? How do you handle this?
Most new bikes have aluminium frams which don't rust. Even steel can last for decades of living outside in the rain so long as water doesn't get inside the frame.
The chain, and other steel components should be lubricated anyway, which will stop them rusting.

Don Shipp said:
Statistically, cycling is safer than walking. Cyclecraft by John Franklin is a good beginner's guide.

http://www.cyclecraft.co.uk/book.html

I hope that you never jump reds on a bike. Filtering is fine, but take care when doing it; pedestrians can be crossing, traffic might still be turning into or emerging from side-roads even after all movement seems to have stopped, and vehicle occupants never look out for cyclists when opening car dooors.
Can I have a source for that statistic, please?

Crusader370, don't buy a budget bike. Pay whatever you can afford but the more you pay the better the bike. Dual suspension, for example, on a budget bike is more likely to be heavy and of poor quality. Far better to have a hardtail with decent specs. I don't know the current exchange rate but I wouldn't touch a new bike under £250. A decent bike will last years if looked after and with only minimal use will pay for itself in no time.

Oh, and back to the original question about red lights- use your own common sense....if there is any chance of the vehicle in front turning across you then hold back. The chances are the driver won't be looking out for you. You are ALWAYS responsible for your own safety. Don't hug the kerb, stay about 1.5 metres towards the centre of the lane and this will... a) make cars coming from behind do a decent overtake and not skirt (but more likely panic) past you with their mirrors! and b) keep your wheels away from the c**p that will puncture your tyres.

Well, it's not just a bike that I need. I also need a pump and a helmet and a lock. And I am worried that I might either get scared and not use it any more, or lose interest. It's like buying your first musical instrument.

I live in Canada, so the currency is dollars. I've been to Zellers, and the cheapest hybrid bike they had was for $200. The next one up was in Sports Experts and was something like $260, but the guy didn't seem too enthusiastic about it. He said that they already sold out some other hybrid bike on sale for $300. The next one was over $300.

Since I know nothing about bikes, I am a bit worried about buying used bikes, but maybe it's a good idea. You can check out Montreal's craigslist to see what's available:
http://montreal.craigslist.org/search/bik?query=hybrid&minAsk=min&maxAsk=max
There is one hybid bike with Shimano gears (I assume that's good) for $99:
http://montreal.craigslist.org/bik/334837499.html

See if you can rent or borrow a bike for a week. That might help you with the basic question of whether you will like it enough to stick with it.

As for how dangerous or safe riding to work is, it depends on the nature of your route. You might work out your route and talk to a seasoned rider in your area about it. He or she should be able to comment about the risk factors in that route.

In my metro area there are some locations that just don't have a safe route in or out during rush hours, while some other locations do.

Some rules of thumb:

- Residential streets are usually good.

- Two-lane semi-arterial streets are usually good if they have wide lanes (allowing a rider to be passed by trailing cars without a problem).

- Four lane streets with speed limits under 40 mph are okay if the right lane is wide, or if there is a bike lane. However, if you make traffic in the right lane have to change lanes to get around you, at rush hour, you are asking for trouble.

- Streets with speed limits above 45 mph usually are not okay, unless they have a dedicated bike lane or a good, wide shoulder.

- Downtown city streets are dicey for all but bike couriers. Lots of accidents at corners from turning cars.

Crusader370 said:
Well, it's not just a bike that I need. I also need a pump and a helmet and a lock. And I am worried that I might either get scared and not use it any more, or lose interest. It's like buying your first musical instrument.

I live in Canada, so the currency is dollars. I've been to Zellers, and the cheapest hybrid bike they had was for $200. The next one up was in Sports Experts and was something like $260, but the guy didn't seem too enthusiastic about it. He said that they already sold out some other hybrid bike on sale for $300. The next one was over $300.

Since I know nothing about bikes, I am a bit worried about buying used bikes, but maybe it's a good idea. You can check out Montreal's craigslist to see what's available:
http://montreal.craigslist.org/search/bik?query=hybrid&minAsk=min&maxAsk=max
There is one hybid bike with Shimano gears (I assume that's good) for $99:
http://montreal.craigslist.org/bik/334837499.html
crusader:

I too am in Montreal. Recycle Bicycle (corner Girouard & Maisoneuve just a couple blocks west of Decariein NDG) would be a great place to go to get a bike, you can build a good one from used parts, pick out everything and they will build it for you & offer great advice. They are VERY helpful, extremely friendly, and altogether fantastic. Very busy but they're never mean about it!

Wheels will be the most expensive part at 90 dollars for both (refurbished steel wheels). The crank (gears) will probably be the next expensive at around 35-40. All in all you should be able to get a really good bike built for 200-250 and I would say, it would be totally worth it. Much better than anything you could get at Crappy Tire or god forbid, the shittyness that is Walmart.

Cycling in Montreal is tough, but your average driver isn't too bad. Where will you be cycling to and from? I may be able to suggest some routes for you to take :)

LaTomate, that's great, I currently live at the corner of Claremont and Sherbrooke, so that bike shop is close to me. When it comes to cycling, I will be going to the McGill campus, and I planned to just take Sherbrooke all the way to the east until I reach McGill.

But I would like to buy a bike to generally bike for the pleasure of it, go on biking trails around Montreal and so on. I also want it to become my primary source of aerobic exercise. How can I find out more about biking routes in Montreal?

I will visit the shop on Thursday, and am looking forward to it!

Thanks!

Crusader370 said:
LaTomate, that's great, I currently live at the corner of Claremont and Sherbrooke, so that bike shop is close to me. When it comes to cycling, I will be going to the McGill campus, and I planned to just take Sherbrooke all the way to the east until I reach McGill.

But I would like to buy a bike to generally bike for the pleasure of it, go on biking trails around Montreal and so on. I also want it to become my primary source of aerobic exercise. How can I find out more about biking routes in Montreal?

I will visit the shop on Thursday, and am looking forward to it!

Thanks!
I take Sherbrooke regularly, but if I'm headed back home I take Maisoneuve because there's a bike path from about Atwater or so and it's altogether a quieter street.

Taxis ride a bit close. Busses are bad too, but as long as you get ahead of them and don't let them catch up (which is easy to do) they won't bother you. Most drivers are good, especially if you ride somewhat aggressively and don't get pushed into the parked cars, taking to the lane instead.

Cycling in Montreal is a great way to get exercise and it's a fantastic way to see the city on your own steam. I've been cycling in Montreal for just two months now and I'm already used to it, and I'm not in any particularly fantastic shape (although I've improved since first starting out)

If you do decide to go to Wal-mart there is a bike there which may be worth buying. It is the Next Monterey Bay with 3-speed hub. Mine had a loose headset but those hubs sure are durable and weatherproof. All in all I don't regret it yet. I love it, in fact. $109.00US.

I also tried a coaster brake cruiser from another department store two years ago, reasoning that it would be a durable, all-weather backup to the used 10-speeds I am fond of rebuilding. It held up to a period of 10-mile commutes but got rusty chrome in road salt. Both hubs and bottom bracket wore out; the front wheel twice. The bike also had a habit of losing the chain and since you can't have that on a coaster brake I just tossed it out a few weeks ago. That one was kind of a waste; stuff went bad which shouldn't have.

The unfortunate thing about Montreal is you can't ride one of those spiffy cruisers very easily... we live on a mountain :(

LaTomate said:
The unfortunate thing about Montreal is you can't ride one of those spiffy cruisers very easily... we live on a mountain :(
I used to do a 10% grade on mine but it was only a few hundred yards long. Then I went from 18 to 22 on the rear sprocket which made our rolling hills a bit easier.

That statistic doesn't take into consideration how many people use the bicycle versus how many people use the car. In fact, 1747 (the number of car deaths) divided by 130 (the number of bicycle deaths) gives you 13.4. Do you think that there are more than 13 cars for every one bike on the road? Definitely. Hence, biking is more dangerous.

not to mention the fact that in a car, you have more than one person per vehicle, which makes biking less safe than driving if there are more than 13 people in cars for each cyclist. If you assume that on average, there are 2 people per car, that translates to more than 6 cars.

Cross modal comparison of fatality risk for passengers

Fatalities per billion

passenger kilometres

Motor cycle/moped

Foot

Pedal cycle

Car

Van

Rail

Water

Bus or coach

Air

>0.01

Per person per mile (or per person per billion kms as given here) cycling is less dangerous than walking. It isn't obvious or intuitive, but it is the case.

Crusader370 said:
not to mention the fact that in a car, you have more than one person per vehicle, which makes biking less safe than driving if there are more than 13 people in cars for each cyclist. If you assume that on average, there are 2 people per car, that translates to more than 6 cars.
Two people per car? How very sensible and sociable. The average here is about 1.2 people per car.

Cycling can be a lot safer than these figures suggest. You can cut your risk of being killed by 50% by not trying to ride up the inside of lorries as they are turning, for instance.
Driving seems safer per mile (or km) because motorists can clock up huge distance on motorways, which are roads with all the hazards removed.
Taking all factors into account, cyclists can expect to out-live motorists by about 10 years.