How should I cover these bar ends?

lifeonbicycles

Apr 3, 2013
I have no idea what to do with these bar ends and handlebars. Any suggestions? I am split between whether I should cover it in handlebar foam or bar tape. Also, Is that huge bulky section at the end coverable with bar tape( (Obviously not including the end covered with a handlebar plug)? Please ignore the crappy grips on there as those are temporary. I am starting to bike in the next week because it is getting warmer here in Michigan.Help and quick replies would be greatly appreciated.

Buy some bar tape, and then wrap 'em and stick a plug in the end. It's unlikely to happen, but it is possible to have an uncovered bar end take a nice core sample of an extremity or a thorax in a crash.

Sorry, typo. I meant that it was obvious that I was going to put bar plugs on there......and this is the same person just forgot to switch to my new account on my phone >_

Go with bar tape and some bar end plugs.

I think it'll be hard to get a functional cover of the bar end clamp, but you can always try a few different wraps before pulling the protective layer off the sticky surface of the tape. Maybe use a thinner, textile based athlete's tape(as used on the grips of bats and rackets) in several layers on the clamp.

Taping bars is one of those chores that are easy to do any old how, but difficult to do well.
I cheat as much as possible with strips of double sided sticky tape as a foundation layer as well as having read up on the various theories of wrap direction. Self vulcanizing rubber/silicon tape or shrink tube are good ways to get a durable lock at the end of the wrap.

Quote:Originally Posted by lifeonbicycles . Bump./img/vbsmilies/smilies/frown.gif

If YOU really can't decide, then go with the FOAM ... it will be faster to install & I suppose that it can be less expensive if you are clever about it ...

FWIW. As previously suggested, HANDLEBAR TAPE would be how 'I' would also choose to cover the bar ends ...

Plug the ends with black plugs obviously and then leave them alone. To me, they look fine as they are, but I would plug any bar ends for safety's sake.