How should I train for my first beginner's tour?

SierraSlim

Oct 4, 2010
[COLOR= #0000ff]Good mornin', y'all![/COLOR]

[COLOR= #0000ff]I just got into biking in July, and love it so much that I've registered for a beginner's bike tour in Idaho next June on flat terrain with mostly paved bike paths. On successive days we will do 22 or 39 miles, 26 or 54 miles; 38 miles; 15 or 30 miles. (I guess on days with the double numbers, riders who are tired can opt out of the second leg. And they say you can jump onto the Sag wagon at almost any point if you want to.) [/COLOR]

[COLOR= #0000ff]The tour is self paced, so I don't have to keep up with anybody. You should know that I'm not a racer, and have ZERO interest in being the first to finish each day; in fact, being so new, I figure I may be the last cyclist in each day, and that's perfectly okay with me, as long as I finish. I'm not doing this because I'm competitive, I'm doing it because I love cycling and want to enjoy the scenery, and will be stopping often to take pictures, etc. I can't wait! /img/vbsmilies/smilies/tongue.gif [/COLOR]

[COLOR= #0000ff]That being said, I have no idea how to train for it, other than to be able to do a lot of miles per day. I'm currently up to 7 miles a day. I figure that if I set goals to be able to ride as many miles per day as follows, it would give me something to shoot for. I'm giving myself a range in case I can't quite meet the upper number, so I won't be discouraged.[/COLOR]
[COLOR= #0000ff]Oct: 7-10 miles per day[/COLOR]
[COLOR= #0000ff]Nov: 10-13 miles per day[/COLOR]
[COLOR= #0000ff]Dec: 13-16 miles per day[/COLOR]
[COLOR= #0000ff]Jan: 16-20[/COLOR]
[COLOR= #0000ff]Feb: 20-25[/COLOR]
[COLOR= #0000ff]Mar: 25-30[/COLOR]
[COLOR= #0000ff]April: 30-35[/COLOR]
[COLOR= #0000ff]May: 35-40[/COLOR]

[SIZE= 14px][COLOR= #0000ff]QUESTIONS:[/COLOR][/SIZE]
[COLOR= #0000ff]1) If I can manage to ride that many miles a day, would that be enough training to be able to do the tour? Or should I be doing something else that could add to my ability to endure/enjoy it? [/COLOR]
[COLOR= #0000ff]2) When you train for an easy tour, do you ride at specific speeds or do something other than just pedaling? [/COLOR]
[COLOR= #0000ff]3) I'm currently eating 1200-1300 calories a day in healthy foods. Will I need to be eating something different? (Keep in mind part of my reason for cycling is to lose weight, so I don't want to snack on M&Ms all day, lol.) [/COLOR]
[COLOR= #0000ff]4) Should I take a rest day and not bicycle once a week, every other week, or ever?[/COLOR]
[COLOR= #0000ff]5) Is there any training other than cycling that I should do?[/COLOR]

[COLOR= #0000ff]I am a COMPLETE ignoramus about what's required in training, so any and all advice would be heartily appreciated.[/COLOR]

[COLOR= #0000ff]THANK YOU!![/COLOR]

[COLOR= #0000ff]Sierra[/COLOR]

There are those that may go into great detail about how you should train but simply put I recommend that you train at 80% of your expected effort that will be required for your tour.