how should the jerseys and shorts fit!!

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by oznation, Sep 22, 2004.

1. oznation

oznation New Member

how should a jersey and lycra shorts fit. thanks

Tags:

2. capwater

capwater New Member

tight.......

3. Scott'sTrek1000

Scott'sTrek1000 New Member

All i've seen are tight, although, I like them a bit loose. It's confusing when you are looking. Be sure you look closely at the sizes, as many vary. It's best to look for chest size fit. I personally go up one size from what it says i need to fit my chest, as the right size is pretty snug.

4. capwater

capwater New Member

Also, the Euro sizing in jerseys is a bit off from the US standard. A US Large is closer to a European XL. You could get away with a looser fitting jersey, but if your shorts are too loose you defeat the whole purpose of cycling shorts which is to be a second skin (no undies of course).

5. RC2

RC2 New Member

If you look at what pro's are wearing, both shorts/bibs and jersey fit tightly, close to the skin. I think that's most aero, but in my experience it's not very comfortable. I prefer a loosely-fitting jersey. Shorts should be tight enough to avoid "diapering" around the chamois/padding, and to keep the fabric against your skin, but any tighter = uncomfortable to me.

6. lokstah

lokstah New Member

Snug but not constricting. Anything too loose, top or bottom, can chaf, bunch, or otherwise annoy you. Go as tight as is comfy, says I.

7. OrbeaMike

OrbeaMike New Member

Good jersey and shorts are made of moisture wicking materials. The fit should be tight but not constricting, max contact with the skin helps wick the sweat to the outer layer and dissipate.

8. Should fit snug without being tight enough to be constricting.

But your going to have to try stuff to see what fits you the best. I have two pair of shorts from the same manufacturer. One I love, the other I hate. The ones I don't like have less than 100 miles on them, but what I don't like about them are they have a drawstring waist and the seat of the shorts is a size bigger than the rest of the shorts. Somebody with a bigger butt that doesn't mind the drawstring may love these. I'm thinking about "accidently" splitting the crotch out of them so I can justify new shorts with the FFO, Family Financial Officer (wife).;)

9. oznation

oznation New Member

hey thanks for the help guys i just went out tonight and bought a ohio state cycling jersey and some shorts that are baggy fit but they have a lycra liner inside them which i like because i dont like the lycra look on the outside :)

10. BHman

BHman New Member

I have found that shorts need to be pulled up tight into the groin area to avoid chafing from the seam which attaches the chamois pad to the short. Shorts should be tight, but not constrictive, and should move with you. As most riders know, they are more comfortable if you don;t wear undershorts beneath them.

For jerseys, I prefer mine a tad loose. I know it adds to wind drag, but I don't race, and so it makes almost no differnce to me.

11. racingcyclist27

racingcyclist27 New Member

all cycling gear need to be tight less drag better cooling better look at a hot guy

12. SF_Vitus

SF_Vitus New Member

tight is right!

13. Don Shipp

Don Shipp New Member

Beacause cycle shorts are designed to be worn without underwear, and the padding takes a long time to dry after washing, you should have several pairs.
    If you go to the thread entitled "Why cycling shorts should always be black" then you will get an answer to your question "How tight?" and also see why they should always be black.