how steep can you climb?

Unfortunately I did not have a bike with me so I could not cycle it.
Are you feeling ok? you should be happy about that ;). Iv heard cars have probs going up that street.

Was a bit short of breath when I got to the top ;D<br /><br />Here is a thought. Rocks start sliding down a conveyor belt at 19 degrees so I am sure a bicycle tyre will struggle to stick to the road at that angle.<br /><br />Would love to hear if anybody has cycled it.<br /><br />Leon

Normally I'll go on stage for 3/4 days to the 'vogezen' next year. The 'vogezen' is the first mountain chain that was introduced in the tour de france. You have the 'grand ballon' and the 'ballon d'alzas' over there. <br /><br />I will also ride liege-bastogne-liege and the 'ronde van vlaanderen' for tourists. Don't think that is easy because liege bastogne liege is 260kms climbing with the finish at 'la redoute' the ronde van vlaanderen is not tha length (135 kms) but you have 'de muur' and 'de coppenberg' and more<br /><br />

[quote author=Lazarus-g link=board=6;threadid=2661;start=0#23170 date=1038525327]<br />I'm missing something here ? I've started to look for the gradient signs on local hills and there's a hill which frightens the life out of me and that's 10% !![/quote]<br /><br />I've been doing some more looking about on this subject and I was totally amazed to find that I quite regularly climb an 18% hill though it is very short and that I have also climbed a 16% hill that is longer than the 10% hill mentioned earlier.<br /><br />So it made me think, is hill climbing more mental than physical, there will come a time when a hill becomes just too big to conquer but are the limits set in your mind before hand.<br /><br />The 10% hill happens to be not far from my home and it is possible to view most of the profile from across the valley and it looks wild,( I'd like to point out that I've never tried to go up it and never will, because I think it's to dangerous from a traffic point of view), but the 16% hill is in a built up area and as such hidden and it is nowhere near as intimating.<br /><br />It's just something that has been running through my mind lately.<br /><br />Any thoughts on the subject?

Just adding something about these short, steep climbs.<br /><br />They can be an excellent power training excercise. When I was 15-16 years old, I used to go to a very small hill in the Belgian coastal town of Koksijde, the 'steile weg' (steep road). It's only just over 100m long but over 20% on smooth asphalt. The only difficulty is that you almost have to stop before you start the climb because it's a 90° bend to start the road on narrow roads (2 cars from opposite directions can barely pass each other)<br />Did some intervals there: 50x16 gear, virtual standstill, giving everything I had, then turning, slowly going downhill for about 600-700m and starting all over....<br /><br />Great fun ;)<br /><br />Niek

[quote author=Lazarus-g link=board=6;threadid=2661;start=15#23206 date=1038698611]<br />[quote author=Lazarus-g link=board=6;threadid=2661;start=0#23170 date=1038525327]<br />I'm missing something here ? I've started to look for the gradient signs on local hills and there's a hill which frightens the life out of me and that's 10% !![/quote]<br /><br />I've been doing some more looking about on this subject and I was totally amazed to find that I quite regularly climb an 18% hill though it is very short and that I have also climbed a 16% hill that is longer than the 10% hill mentioned earlier.<br /><br />So it made me think, is hill climbing more mental than physical, there will come a time when a hill becomes just too big to conquer but are the limits set in your mind before hand.<br /><br />The 10% hill happens to be not far from my home and it is possible to view most of the profile from across the valley and it looks wild,( I'd like to point out that I've never tried to go up it and never will, because I think it's to dangerous from a traffic point of view), but the 16% hill is in a built up area and as such hidden and it is nowhere near as intimating.<br /><br />It's just something that has been running through my mind lately.<br /><br />Any thoughts on the subject?<br />[/quote]<br /><br />Sure, you're right, but that doesn't only go for climbing hills. A lot in cycling is mental: if you think you can do it, you probably can. The same for racing: everybody is suffering, the one that can overcome the pain best has got a huge advantage - although that's not the only thing you need to win ;D<br /><br />The length of the hill is also of major importance: If you look at the riders that shine in the 'Ronde van Vlaanderen', they almost fly over these very steep hills. They can take the hills on pure power. The hills in Liege-Bastogne-Liege or the real mountains on the other hand are usually not their piece of cake.<br /><br />Niek

This summer I went to see a bicycle race because some friends rode in it. The only problem was: it was very hot. I think it was between 38-42 degrees. because of that theavs of the race was 33 km/h. My friends decided to ride home and do a small climb at the route. normally climbing is no prob for me but that day I couldn't follow them. First i didn't understand but when i thaught of it, it was normal because i rode 175 kms the day before and 120 already that day and i think that is quite much for a 14 years old boy.<br /><br />Jelle

Well just got the Hollard Cyclists guide and it mentions that the climb in the Tour de Gold was 23% so I wasn't that much of a wuss for getting into my third chainring (42 middle ring, I think my knees would probably pop out). So it is official, 1 km at 23% with only one stop (at the bottom, chain popped off little chainring when I tried to change into it, only used the thing once before when I bought the bike!!!)

Here’s a good site I’ve just found for hard climbs in the UK. http://www.geocities.com/Baja/2572/Climbs/Climbs4.htm I’ve done several of these many years ago. If you’re in the UK, or visiting, then the Hardknott and Wrynose passes, from the coast to Lake Windermere, are worth a visit to test yourself. <br />Yeah, I can still believe, as someone on that site states, that the last bend near the top is 30%.

Done a few in the French Alps and Italian Dolomites... The Galibier in France was awesome... 25degC in the valley... snowing on top!! the last 2k at about 12-13% with low oxygen. Even that didn't beat the Stelvio pass... a little under 10000ft starting at about 2000. Did them both with a min 39x23. But that was racing fit, and a climbers build. Passed some on the way up wishing they weren't there!! :)<br /><br />Still Alpe d'huez is my favourite... 14km at 10%av :-X ;D

i would really like to do some climbs in the alps ore around there. Must be wonderfull.<br /><br />Jelle

[quote author=Jelle link=board=6;threadid=2661;start=30#23751 date=1040482175]<br />i would really like to do some climbs in the alps ore around there. Must be wonderfull.<br /><br />Jelle<br />[/quote]<br />Yep, spent 1 week in Italy and 2 in the French Alps. The Galibier was the hardest by far, then again did it a 1 day epic of 114miles. Alllermont (30miles NE Grenoble).. up the south of the Col du Glandon (also same road as Croix de Fer), St Michell de Maurienne, right up the north of Col du Telegraphe, and straight on to Col du Galibier and then down the Col du Lauteret, down into Bourg d'Oisans and then up the Alpe d'Huez. Awsome ride.<br /><br />They've done the telegraphe/galibier/alpe d'huez this way in the tdf many times, often with the Madelaine or Izoard first. usually on the clockwise tdf's<br /><br />Booked my tickets for the opening weekend of the tdf2003... :)

[quote author=tifosi link=board=6;threadid=2661;start=20#msg23796 date=1040859988]<br />Yep, spent 1 week in Italy and 2 in the French Alps. The Galibier was the hardest by far, then again did it a 1 day epic of 114miles. Alllermont (30miles NE Grenoble).. up the south of the Col du Glandon (also same road as Croix de Fer), St Michell de Maurienne, right up the north of Col du Telegraphe, and straight on to Col du Galibier and then down the Col du Lauteret, down into Bourg d'Oisans and then up the Alpe d'Huez. Awsome ride.<br /><br />They've done the telegraphe/galibier/alpe d'huez this way in the tdf many times, often with the Madelaine or Izoard first. usually on the clockwise tdf's<br /><br />Booked my tickets for the opening weekend of the tdf2003... :)<br />[/quote]<br /><br />I'll be heading to belgium next july for 2 months.....i'd love to get down to france and ride a few of those awesome climbs ;)