How steep is the Burgundy Street climb?

Discussion in 'Australia and New Zealand' started by blah, Sep 30, 2004.

  1. blah

    blah Guest

    After unintentionally wimping out on this climb on BR14 - I didn't
    realise the route came back to Doncaster so I nicked off up Manningham
    Rd just before the climb - I decided to include it in the ride to work
    today. This is the first time I've been kind of happy to get stuck at
    every set of lights in one street. Of course, the lights are all on
    the early bits, not the 'oh my God' steep bit later, so all they gave
    me was some recovery before the climb.

    So - does anyone know how steep this climb is in terms of percent?

    Tags:

  2. flyingdutch

    flyingdutch New Member

    Joined:
    Feb 8, 2004
    Messages:
    5,700
    "Alot" %

    the hard bit about the hill is (apart from inherent steepness) is that it gets distinctly steeper at about 3 points the further you get up.
    Just when you are into some vague form of rhythm it goes up a notch.
    Still at least you can see the top and know the end is 'only' that far away.
    not like some hills where you go around what you guess must be the last one before the top only to see another half-dozen switchbacks dissapear off into the blue...

  3. kyra

    kyra New Member

    Joined:
    Aug 23, 2003
    Sorry guys, but i don't really think it is that steep! Sure, you are f'd when you get to the top, but it's a steady climb upwards with the big lip at the top... other than that, standard climb. please correct me if i'm wrong, but the few times i've ridden it, i haven't been scared.
    if you want scary, try the climb on reynolds road up to anderson st... that's a hefty climb!! very low gears for that climb.

  4. Blah

    Blah Guest

    "kyra" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]

    > Sorry guys, but i don't really think it is that steep! Sure, you are f'd
    > when you get to the top, but it's a steady climb upwards with the big
    > lip at the top... other than that, standard climb. please correct me if
    > i'm wrong, but the few times i've ridden it, i haven't been scared.
    > if you want scary, try the climb on reynolds road up to anderson st...
    > that's a hefty climb!! very low gears for that climb.
    >

    > --
    > kyra

    Yeah - at home now; did the ride in reverse on the way home and it's much
    less striking from the top looking down.
    So you don't know exactly how steep it is?

  5. hippy

    hippy Guest

    "kyra" <[email protected]> wrote

    > Sorry guys, but i don't really think it is that steep! Sure, you are f'd
    > when you get to the top, but it's a steady climb upwards with the big
    > lip at the top... other than that, standard climb. please correct me if
    > i'm wrong, but the few times i've ridden it, i haven't been scared.
    > if you want scary, try the climb on reynolds road up to anderson st...
    > that's a hefty climb!! very low gears for that climb.

    I've only ridden it once and it was at the end of
    the BR so I was tired already but it did feel steeper
    than the 1:20. It was sort of like Perrins Creek Rd.
    but not as long. I can check out the altitude data
    later tonight if I remember..

    hippy

  6. DaveB

    DaveB Guest

    blah wrote:
    > After unintentionally wimping out on this climb on BR14 - I didn't
    > realise the route came back to Doncaster so I nicked off up Manningham
    > Rd just before the climb - I decided to include it in the ride to work
    > today. This is the first time I've been kind of happy to get stuck at
    > every set of lights in one street. Of course, the lights are all on
    > the early bits, not the 'oh my God' steep bit later, so all they gave
    > me was some recovery before the climb.
    >
    > So - does anyone know how steep this climb is in terms of percent?

    I used to live around the corner from this hill and it was the last bit
    of pedalling before I got home on the commute. It used to kill me. I
    think my avoiding it on BR is a result of permanent psychological scarring.

    DaveB

  7. flyingdutch

    flyingdutch New Member

    Joined:
    Feb 8, 2004
    Messages:
    5,700
    time to 'slay the dragon' :D

  8. Gags

    Gags Guest

    "blah" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > After unintentionally wimping out on this climb on BR14 - I didn't
    > realise the route came back to Doncaster so I nicked off up Manningham
    > Rd just before the climb - I decided to include it in the ride to work
    > today. This is the first time I've been kind of happy to get stuck at
    > every set of lights in one street. Of course, the lights are all on
    > the early bits, not the 'oh my God' steep bit later, so all they gave
    > me was some recovery before the climb.
    >
    > So - does anyone know how steep this climb is in terms of percent?

    That is a coincidence......I was on the roadie this morning and I usually
    turn left just before the hospital and then cut through to Ivanhoe via
    Studley Rd but for the first time ever I decided to go straight up Burgundy
    St as well. The last 20 or so metres were the worst and especially as the
    road turns around to the left at the lights. Took me a while to get my
    breath back but I am thinking now that I might throw it in once or twice a
    week to give the legs a bit of extra work.

    Now who's gonna have a crack on a singlespeed (I am running a 61.75 inch
    gear on my SS mtb and I don't think I would have a hope in hell!!!!!!

    Ride On

    Gags

  9. Blah

    Blah Guest

    "Gags" <gags_44nospamatnospamtpg.com.au> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > gear on my SS mtb and I don't think I would have a hope in hell!!!!!!
    >
    > Ride On
    >
    > Gags

    Oh, give it a go you wimp!

    Of course, on BR14 you showed me you're a lot better at hills than me, so
    this is obvious baiting... you wimp...

  10. DaveB

    DaveB Guest

    Gags wrote:

    > Now who's gonna have a crack on a singlespeed (I am running a 61.75 inch
    > gear on my SS mtb and I don't think I would have a hope in hell!!!!!!
    >
    > Ride On
    >
    > Gags

    There's an even greater challenge just around the corner. On the climb
    up Burgundy St turn right at the lights just after going under the train
    line. There's a dip past the bowling green then a rise. This rise was
    the one hill around Heidelberg I always avoided when pushing a pram. Did
    it once and never again. Never tried to cycle up it. You could probably
    get up ok with a runup but that woudl be cheating.

    DaveB

  11. Geoff

    Geoff Guest

    "blah" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > After unintentionally wimping out on this climb on BR14 - I didn't
    > realise the route came back to Doncaster so I nicked off up Manningham
    > Rd just before the climb - I decided to include it in the ride to work
    > today. This is the first time I've been kind of happy to get stuck at
    > every set of lights in one street. Of course, the lights are all on
    > the early bits, not the 'oh my God' steep bit later, so all they gave
    > me was some recovery before the climb.
    >
    > So - does anyone know how steep this climb is in terms of percent?

    Nowhere near as steep as this street http://tinyurl.com/56449 in New
    Zealand. Ouch!!

    Geoff

  12. flyingdutch

    flyingdutch New Member

    Joined:
    Feb 8, 2004
    Messages:
    5,700
    Dang. I'd beat 82.7kph down there for sure!!!

    There's a few in the hills above Adelaide too. cant remember exact street names. just how to ride to em...

    F-"who's-top-speed-is-96kph-Down-Norton-Summit"-Dutch

  13. NickZX6R

    NickZX6R Guest

    Geoff wrote:
    > "blah" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:e2017c57.0409301736.5bcd[email protected]
    >
    >>After unintentionally wimping out on this climb on BR14 - I didn't
    >>realise the route came back to Doncaster so I nicked off up Manningham
    >>Rd just before the climb - I decided to include it in the ride to work
    >>today. This is the first time I've been kind of happy to get stuck at
    >>every set of lights in one street. Of course, the lights are all on
    >>the early bits, not the 'oh my God' steep bit later, so all they gave
    >>me was some recovery before the climb.
    >>
    >>So - does anyone know how steep this climb is in terms of percent?

    > Nowhere near as steep as this street http://tinyurl.com/56449 in New
    > Zealand. Ouch!!
    >
    > Geoff

    I went to Dunedin last year. It's the best hill training place I've
    ever seen. As well as being great for cold weather acclimatisation :)

    --
    Nick

  14. Gags

    Gags Guest

    "DaveB" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > Gags wrote:
    > >
    > > Now who's gonna have a crack on a singlespeed (I am running a 61.75 inch
    > > gear on my SS mtb and I don't think I would have a hope in hell!!!!!!
    > >
    > > Ride On
    > >
    > > Gags
    > >

    > There's an even greater challenge just around the corner. On the climb
    > up Burgundy St turn right at the lights just after going under the train
    > line. There's a dip past the bowling green then a rise. This rise was
    > the one hill around Heidelberg I always avoided when pushing a pram. Did
    > it once and never again. Never tried to cycle up it. You could probably
    > get up ok with a runup but that woudl be cheating.
    >
    > DaveB

    I do that one quite regularly on the way home and believe me, the runup
    gained from the lights doesn't help much....the last 10 metres or so I am
    usually out of the saddle, in lowest gear, and doing about 10 km'h or
    so......it is even more fun when there is traffic on the road at the top
    that I have to give way to and I attempt to restart from a track stand
    whilst still on the hill.

    Ride On,

    Gags

  15. Geoff

    Geoff Guest

    "flyingdutch" <[email protected]> wrote in
    message news:[email protected]

    > blah Wrote:
    >>

    >> So - does anyone know how steep this climb is in terms of percent?

    > "Alot" %
    >
    > the hard bit about the hill is (apart from inherent steepness) is that
    > it gets distinctly steeper at about 3 points the further you get up.
    > Just when you are into some vague form of rhythm it goes up a notch.
    > Still at least you can see the top and know the end is 'only' that far
    > away.
    > not like some hills where you go around what you guess must be the last
    > one before the top only to see another half-dozen switchbacks dissapear
    > off into the blue...
    >

    > --
    > flyingdutch

    I've had a look at the HRM file from last week and the hill is about 1km
    long and has an average gradient of 8.5%. There is a section of the climb
    that hits the 12% mark for roughly a 100m distance. I'm guessing this is
    the bit near the bus stop outside the hospital.

    Geoff

  16. B.T.

    B.T. New Member

    Joined:
    Aug 13, 2004
    Thanks for this, I could never get my head around the TDF gradients etc, but this puts into perspective. Any chance of seeing a full HRM readout for the BR rides (i dont have a HRM yet).

  17. flyingdutch

    flyingdutch New Member

    Joined:
    Feb 8, 2004
    Messages:
    5,700
    crap! ONLY 12%. I was guessing a few higher so I could delude myself into believing that what those guys/gals do in the professional ranks doesnt look so hard after all :rolleyes:
    Me thinks i might (puts on madhatter's hat) try BawBaw one day to seejust how hard that is...

    I still reckon the east side of Tawonga Gap is the hardest/steepest thing I have done. Oh wait; the hill up to Marysville and the first third after M'ville to Lake Mountain were pretty nastee too, and then there was...

  18. blah

    blah Guest

    "Geoff" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...

    > I've had a look at the HRM file from last week and the hill is about 1km
    > long and has an average gradient of 8.5%. There is a section of the climb
    > that hits the 12% mark for roughly a 100m distance. I'm guessing this is
    > the bit near the bus stop outside the hospital.
    >
    > Geoff

    Thanks Geoff - that's plenty steep. Imagine that average grade for
    15-20 kays... ouch. Mt Baw Baw climb AVERAGES 13% for six kays. I'll
    think about that next time I'm on the steep part of Burgundy Street.
    Tomorrow, I think, if BR 16 is happening.

  19. flyingdutch

    flyingdutch New Member

    Joined:
    Feb 8, 2004