How strengthen back muscles?

Discussion in 'General Fitness' started by [email protected], Feb 11, 2006.

  1. I don't lift weights

    Am 47 and have a desk job and in terrible shape

    I want to start lifting but VERY VERY slowly as to
    avoid injuries

    One thing I know is that my back muscles are very weak

    What's best way to strengthen them that wont injure me?

    Tags:

  2. JMW

    JMW Guest

  3. <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    >I don't lift weights
    >
    > Am 47 and have a desk job and in terrible shape
    >
    > I want to start lifting but VERY VERY slowly as to
    > avoid injuries
    >
    > One thing I know is that my back muscles are very weak
    >
    > What's best way to strengthen them that wont injure me?

    There is no guarantee that you won't injure yourself. Look at the
    risk/reward ratio - if you're willing to take a chance, you might
    accomplish something. Anyone who exercises regularly gets injured from
    time to time in minor and sometimes even major ways.

    JMW mentioned back extensions - these are not for everyone. I have a
    bad back - severely herniated disc, six months in bed, a year plus until
    I could walk normally again - and while I have learned to do many
    things, including deadlift well over twice what I weigh, I still cannot
    do back extensions without bothering my back. Just my experience -
    yours will undoubtedly vary.

    I would give consideration to things that strength your back
    isometrically - the good, old-fashioned pushup is a fine way to start.
    Simply do pushups while trying to keep your body straight will develop
    some beginning strength in your abs, your back, and your shoulders and
    arms.

    -S-
    http://www.kbnj.com

  4. Dally

    Dally Guest

    [email protected] wrote:

    > I don't lift weights
    >
    > Am 47 and have a desk job and in terrible shape
    >
    > I want to start lifting but VERY VERY slowly as to
    > avoid injuries
    >
    > One thing I know is that my back muscles are very weak
    >
    > What's best way to strengthen them that wont injure me?

    Yoga or pilates come to mind. Deliberate exercises done slowly with a
    lot of stretching.

    You can do a lot with a swiss ball, too. Look at "core exercises" here:

    http://sparkpeople.com/myspark/ex/all_exercises.asp

    Dally

  5. John Hanson

    John Hanson Guest

    On Sat, 11 Feb 2006 19:03:14 -0600, [email protected] wrote in
    misc.fitness.weights:

    >I don't lift weights
    >
    >Am 47 and have a desk job and in terrible shape
    >
    >I want to start lifting but VERY VERY slowly as to
    >avoid injuries
    >
    >One thing I know is that my back muscles are very weak
    >
    >What's best way to strengthen them that wont injure me?

    Missionary sex is one of the better back exercises for men.

  6. Dally

    Dally Guest

    John Hanson wrote:

    > On Sat, 11 Feb 2006 19:03:14 -0600, [email protected] wrote in
    > misc.fitness.weights:
    >

    >>I don't lift weights
    >>
    >>Am 47 and have a desk job and in terrible shape
    >>
    >>I want to start lifting but VERY VERY slowly as to
    >>avoid injuries
    >>
    >>One thing I know is that my back muscles are very weak
    >>
    >>What's best way to strengthen them that wont injure me?

    > Missionary sex is one of the better back exercises for men.

    Sometimes I look up and realize it's past midnight and wonder why the
    hell am I still online. I'm halfway through a job I sent to the printer
    and I'm not really going to proofread/assemble it tonight. Thanks for
    the reminder that there are better things I could be doing with my time.

    Dally

  7. John Hanson

    John Hanson Guest

    On Sun, 12 Feb 2006 00:39:47 -0500, Dally <[email protected]> wrote in
    misc.fitness.weights:

    >John Hanson wrote:
    >
    >> On Sat, 11 Feb 2006 19:03:14 -0600, [email protected] wrote in
    >> misc.fitness.weights:
    >>

    >>>I don't lift weights
    >>>
    >>>Am 47 and have a desk job and in terrible shape
    >>>
    >>>I want to start lifting but VERY VERY slowly as to
    >>>avoid injuries
    >>>
    >>>One thing I know is that my back muscles are very weak
    >>>
    >>>What's best way to strengthen them that wont injure me?

    >> Missionary sex is one of the better back exercises for men.

    >Sometimes I look up and realize it's past midnight and wonder why the
    >hell am I still online. I'm halfway through a job I sent to the printer
    >and I'm not really going to proofread/assemble it tonight. Thanks for
    >the reminder that there are better things I could be doing with my time.

    Make sure you check out that physics problem in mn.general that I
    posted a link to, tomorrow. This was the original question:
    "Put a plane on a treadmill. The treadmill is designed to exactly
    match the forward speed of the plane. Will the plane take off?"

  8. Pao Wing

    Pao Wing Guest

    "Dally" < Thanks for the reminder that there are better things I could be
    doing with my time.

    Jo-Anne is waiting with legs wide open.

  9. JRH

    JRH Guest

    On Sat, 11 Feb 2006 20:06:46 -0500, JMW <[email protected]> wrote:

    >[email protected] wrote:
    >
    >>I don't lift weights
    >>
    >>Am 47 and have a desk job and in terrible shape
    >>
    >>I want to start lifting but VERY VERY slowly as to
    >>avoid injuries
    >>
    >>One thing I know is that my back muscles are very weak
    >>
    >>What's best way to strengthen them that wont injure me?

    >Back extensions:
    >
    >http://www.exrx.net/WeightExercises/ErectorSpinae/BBBackExtension.html

    Too strong for someone not in shape.

    Try a similar exercise but on a Swiss Ball.

    HTH!

  10. JRH

    JRH Guest

    On Sat, 11 Feb 2006 23:21:54 -0600, John Hanson
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >On Sat, 11 Feb 2006 19:03:14 -0600, [email protected] wrote in
    >misc.fitness.weights:
    >
    >>I don't lift weights
    >>
    >>Am 47 and have a desk job and in terrible shape
    >>
    >>I want to start lifting but VERY VERY slowly as to
    >>avoid injuries
    >>
    >>One thing I know is that my back muscles are very weak
    >>
    >>What's best way to strengthen them that wont injure me?

    >Missionary sex is one of the better back exercises for men.

    In these enlightened secularised days, it is very difficult to find a
    missionary willing to participate - even on the dark continent.

  11. In article <[email protected]>,
    JMW <[email protected]> wrote:

    > [email protected] wrote:
    >
    > >I don't lift weights
    > >
    > >Am 47 and have a desk job and in terrible shape
    > >
    > >I want to start lifting but VERY VERY slowly as to
    > >avoid injuries
    > >
    > >One thing I know is that my back muscles are very weak
    > >
    > >What's best way to strengthen them that wont injure me?

    > Back extensions:
    >
    > http://www.exrx.net/WeightExercises/ErectorSpinae/BBBackExtension.html

    And, believe it or not, abdominal crunches.
    Strong abs have a protective influence on the back.

    I do those two exercizes "back to back" (pun intended ;-) )
    --
    Peace, Om.

  12. the very slowest was to start strengthening your back would be to sit
    and stand up straight. sholders down and back, gut and but tucked in.
    and stretch throughout the day, not the fling your legs over your head
    ones, just bend over with your legs slightly spread and fold your arms,
    just let your torso hang... thats the very slowest way to start.

  13. rmr

    rmr Guest

    On Sat, 11 Feb 2006 19:03:14 -0600, [email protected] wrote:

    >I don't lift weights
    >
    >Am 47 and have a desk job and in terrible shape
    >
    >I want to start lifting but VERY VERY slowly as to
    >avoid injuries
    >
    >One thing I know is that my back muscles are very weak
    >
    >What's best way to strengthen them that wont injure me?

    I started out about the same age and condition but also 90 pounds
    overweight. Get a weights set (secend hand is cheap and just as
    heavy). start off doing dumbell exercises with light weight and work
    up.
    Here are 2 nice websites to help you start.
    http://www.exrx.net/Lists/Beginning.html
    http://www.stumptuous.com/cms/index.php
    The second one targets women primarily, but don't worry about that it
    applies equally to men.

    Start light and work up

    Ray

  14. Dally

    Dally Guest

    John Hanson wrote:
    > On Sun, 12 Feb 2006 00:39:47 -0500, Dally <[email protected]> wrote in
    > misc.fitness.weights:
    >

    >>John Hanson wrote:
    >>

    >>>On Sat, 11 Feb 2006 19:03:14 -0600, [email protected] wrote in
    >>>misc.fitness.weights:

    >>>Missionary sex is one of the better back exercises for men.

    >>Sometimes I look up and realize it's past midnight and wonder why the
    >>hell am I still online. I'm halfway through a job I sent to the printer
    >>and I'm not really going to proofread/assemble it tonight. Thanks for
    >>the reminder that there are better things I could be doing with my time.
    >>

    > Make sure you check out that physics problem in mn.general that I
    > posted a link to, tomorrow. This was the original question:
    > "Put a plane on a treadmill. The treadmill is designed to exactly
    > match the forward speed of the plane. Will the plane take off?"

    I saw that. I didn't quite catch whether the plane was moving backwards
    on the treadmill in such a way that the whole contraption stayed in place.

    Planes take off because of the way the wind moves over their wings in
    such a way that the wind passes faster over the top than the bottom,
    causing lift. If the plane is moving in such a way that wind is moving
    over its wings then, yes, it can take off, even if the way it's moving
    is by some giant child thrusting it into the air.

    Dally

  15. John Hanson

    John Hanson Guest

    On Sun, 12 Feb 2006 09:28:26 +0000, JRH <[email protected]> wrote in
    misc.fitness.weights:

    >On Sat, 11 Feb 2006 23:21:54 -0600, John Hanson
    ><[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    >>On Sat, 11 Feb 2006 19:03:14 -0600, [email protected] wrote in
    >>misc.fitness.weights:
    >>
    >>>I don't lift weights
    >>>
    >>>Am 47 and have a desk job and in terrible shape
    >>>
    >>>I want to start lifting but VERY VERY slowly as to
    >>>avoid injuries
    >>>
    >>>One thing I know is that my back muscles are very weak
    >>>
    >>>What's best way to strengthen them that wont injure me?

    >>Missionary sex is one of the better back exercises for men.

    >In these enlightened secularised days, it is very difficult to find a
    >missionary willing to participate - even on the dark continent.

    One who proselytizes on the benefits of fitness could be considered a
    missionary and those missionaries appear to be quite common.

  16. Dally

    Dally Guest

    John Hanson wrote:

    >>>Missionary sex is one of the better back exercises for men.

    > One who proselytizes on the benefits of fitness could be considered a
    > missionary and those missionaries appear to be quite common.

    I thought to inquire last night. As back exercises go it wasn't all
    that strenuous. I concluded that you'd need 8 to 12 reps. (My husband
    declined to do the entire set.)

    Dally

  17. John Hanson

    John Hanson Guest

    On Sun, 12 Feb 2006 11:39:37 -0500, Dally <[email protected]> wrote in
    misc.fitness.weights:

    >> One who proselytizes on the benefits of fitness could be considered a
    >> missionary and those missionaries appear to be quite common.

    >I thought to inquire last night. As back exercises go it wasn't all
    >that strenuous. I concluded that you'd need 8 to 12 reps. (My husband
    >declined to do the entire set.)

    Bummer:-(

    Hehe

  18. On Sun, 12 Feb 2006 10:36:10 -0600, John Hanson
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >One who proselytizes on the benefits of fitness could be considered a
    >missionary and those missionaries appear to be quite common.

    Anyone who prostitutes at all is a sleazebag.

  19. On Sun, 12 Feb 2006 10:47:04 -0600, John Hanson
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Bummer:-(
    >
    >Hehe

    Tell him what a PUNK HE IS, and how he SUCKS AND DESERVES TO DIE, and
    you WISH THE TWAT WAS DEAD, stuff. You know, your usual stuff.

  20. JRH

    JRH Guest

    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >On Sun, 12 Feb 2006 09:28:26 +0000, JRH <[email protected]> wrote in
    >misc.fitness.weights:
    >
    >>On Sat, 11 Feb 2006 23:21:54 -0600, John Hanson
    >><[email protected]> wrote:
    >>
    >>>On Sat, 11 Feb 2006 19:03:14 -0600, [email protected] wrote in
    >>>misc.fitness.weights:

    >>>Missionary sex is one of the better back exercises for men.

    >>In these enlightened secularised days, it is very difficult to find a
    >>missionary willing to participate - even on the dark continent.

    >One who proselytizes on the benefits of fitness could be considered a
    >missionary and those missionaries appear to be quite common.

    But if they are "hard bodies" like Dally who wants to have sex with
    them?