how stupid is this?

Roberto badgio

Nov 8, 2004
I have been seriously cycling (for fun - i don't race) for about a year now, I have done 2000 miles, on 3 bikes, 800 miles on my new proper road bike, in the last 2 months. and. . . . . I hadn't fallen off, until yesterday, when i fell off. . . . . .. in a car park!!! (while going abt 10-12mph)

I feel so embarrased. The conditions were wet, and i was turning a bit too fast! (only got a grazed elbow, and a wet leg) (bike's fine)

Just thought you might find it funny. i do!

has nybody else fallen off in stupid situations?

Roberto badgio said:
I have been seriously cycling (for fun - i don't race) for about a year now, I have done 2000 miles, on 3 bikes, 800 miles on my new proper road bike, in the last 2 months. and. . . . . I hadn't fallen off, until yesterday, when i fell off. . . . . .. in a car park!!! (while going abt 10-12mph)

I feel so embarrased. The conditions were wet, and i was turning a bit too fast! (only got a grazed elbow, and a wet leg) (bike's fine)

I have fallen off trying to do a wheelie; I have fallen off whilest deliberately riding across a frozen puddle; both of these were a long time ago.
More recently I came off going too fast round a corner and banking too steeply. My most recent stupid accident was when I was riding on grass. The wheels went into a rut and the bike just fell sideways. I hit the ground so hard I deflated a lung. That grass was harder than tarmac!

This happened when i was a noob. I took it to the top of a hill and reached the red lights with lots of cars surrounding me, i attempted to get off my bike but was unsuccessful by just stopping and tipping over to the side like an idiot. I couldn't clip out, wow even posting this is embarassing. :eek:

*crosses fingers*

I havent fallen off my bike in quite a few years, at least not like how you guys are talking about. Last year i did wreck in a race though....

Got my new bike the other day so decided id ride it to soccer training, anyway, got there fine, rode over to where the others in the team were and getting off at about 5km/h slipped on the wet ground and the bike came down ontop of me, very embarrasing.:eek:

I was going about 5km/h in a parking lot i wanted to try jump on a little edge, i jumped too soon, came back down before my front wheel was over, so it hit and i went over. must have been the bike

I fell off in my driveway. I was about to go onto the road, saw a car cmoming, couldnt get my shoe out of the clip, and over i went. Embarressing is too mild a word for it. The people who passed in the cars probably got a great laugh though.

i once fell off my bike and broke my arm trying to get away from maggpies. i wasn't wearing a helmet and i felt realy cool when i went to the hospital because i had blood down my chin (my chin had to get glued) .:D .

Wolfzazi said:
This happened when i was a noob. I took it to the top of a hill and reached the red lights with lots of cars surrounding me, i attempted to get off my bike but was unsuccessful by just stopping and tipping over to the side like an idiot. I couldn't clip out, wow even posting this is embarassing. :eek:
Haven't done this yet, but almost, and it's one of m worst fears when riding...

You know that would be hilarious to see if you were in a car and someone on a bike just tipped over next to you. Just call it the sacrifice of your sport -- that always lets you get away with a lot.

I came out to a stop sign (no cars around) and clicked only one shoe out. Problems was, I was leaning to the wrong side (side with that was clipped in) and I fell on my side. I clipped out quick and got up with only a few scratches on me (bike was fine). It was more embarrassing than anything (one other biker was around).

I too have done the "clip out on wrong side" crash, but lucklily not in traffic. My most embarassing one to date was in a race last weekend. There was an early attempt to break, and i wanted to bridge the gap, or join the break, but i ended up concentrating too hard on the guy's rear wheel and forgot to turn.I went straight into the opposing hill on the side of the road. i got back to the group though, only to flat right before the last lap.

I just crashed last tuesday I was riding to volleyball practice and a stupid driver almost clipped me so I swerved hit a curb and couldn't get out of toe clips so I tore my knee up the day before I left for a volleyball tournament in winnipeg:mad: .
it was my first crash in 2 years.

basketballbiker said:
I just crashed last tuesday I was riding to volleyball practice and a stupid driver almost clipped me so I swerved hit a curb and couldn't get out of toe clips so I tore my knee up the day before I left for a volleyball tournament in winnipeg:mad: .
it was my first crash in 2 years.
Ouch. I'm not sure I'd be wanting to try diving in that condition (before I get a barrage of complaints, yes, I know your knees aren't supposed to touch the ground while diving in volleyball, but they often do anyways). I guess that's bound to happen ocne in a while. I've been lucky so far, I've had no completely idiotic drivers yet (although it bugs the heck outta me when drivers don't give me he righ of way when I'm supposed to have it, but that happens every day to just about every road cyclist out there -- I can't really complain too much when there's cyclists like you out there getting run off the road).

luckily I play middle in volleyball so I don't really have to dive and when i did I dove on my right knee.

the annoying thing is the driver was pretty well my age and he was laughing when I fell.:mad: oh well thats what i get for driving on the road.

Roberto badgio said:

I fall at least a couple times a month because I forget about my toe clips, and it doesn't get much stupider than that

So far I've only fallen once and that was about three months ago. I was new to my bike and I had toe clips at the time. Was biking up the side of the road, saw someone pushing a cart, went to go around them and hit a patch of sand. Landed smack in front of the woman...So embarassing.

I haven't fallen off for quite a while - the last time I did I was going quite fast on a bikeway, I went off, but as I tried to get back on I hit the edge of the path parallel and fell off. It hurts a bit when you're going fast :)

I got lost once on my way to Dover. Stoped to ask some one for directions and they had started giving me the directions when a gust of wind knocked me off balance and i didnt unclip my other foot in time. They laughed at me so hard. I just gave up cycled home with a sore pride and a bloody knee. :D

my first crash was cause i clipped a friend's backwheel while going down hill.. i veered off to one side putting my bike into a bush and me into the sand.. scared the bejeepers out of my friend who thought she'd be callin the ambulance... this was 1 1/2 weeks after i started riding.

second crash was day of clippless pedals.. leaned on the wrong side and down i went, 3rd was stopping when i only wanted to slow and clipped the wrong foot and fell down a driveway... lol.. the 3rd was the only embarrasing one...