how taxes encourage driving ...

Discussion in 'Australia and New Zealand' started by Bleve, Dec 21, 2005.

  1. Bleve

    Bleve Guest

    Is anyone else here amazed by the way novated leases work? My
    understanding is that they're basically a tax dodge for high income
    earners, that requires that the upperclass welfare recipient drive the
    car for at least 26,000km a year to keep the tax break.

    The people I know with novated leases drive *everywhere* simply because
    they have to get the k's. Insane ...

    Tags:

  2. dave

    dave Guest

    Bleve wrote:
    > Is anyone else here amazed by the way novated leases work? My
    > understanding is that they're basically a tax dodge for high income
    > earners, that requires that the upperclass welfare recipient drive the
    > car for at least 26,000km a year to keep the tax break.
    >
    > The people I know with novated leases drive *everywhere* simply because
    > they have to get the k's. Insane ...

    Girl upstairs is driving her dads car everywhere for exactly the same reason

  3. flyingdutch

    flyingdutch New Member

    Joined:
    Feb 8, 2004
    Messages:
    5,700
    can people supply examples of OS tax incentives or the like?

    be a good case study via BV/lobbying gov

    I know people in some states of US who get paid an 'allowance' every week if they ride 3+ days per week (think it was $10us/week?)
    Cateye employees get it

    any others?

    someone mentioned the obviousness* of bike-stuff being a equivalent to a CoCar or lappy

    * inventing werds is my 'middle_name'

  4. Tamyka Bell

    Tamyka Bell Guest

    Bleve wrote:

    > Is anyone else here amazed by the way novated leases work? My
    > understanding is that they're basically a tax dodge for high income
    > earners, that requires that the upperclass welfare recipient drive the
    > car for at least 26,000km a year to keep the tax break.
    >
    > The people I know with novated leases drive *everywhere* simply because
    > they have to get the k's. Insane ...

    That's what my ex had, I think. He was so proud. I told him I thought it
    was stupid, and he was stupid, and I wasn't impressed by a stupid car,
    why didn't he get a bike instead? (I may have also told him I already
    knew he had a small penis so he didn't need to prove it like that - yes
    he was already my ex at the time.)

    Tam

  5. dave

    dave Guest

    Tamyka Bell wrote:
    > Bleve wrote:
    >
    >>Is anyone else here amazed by the way novated leases work? My
    >>understanding is that they're basically a tax dodge for high income
    >>earners, that requires that the upperclass welfare recipient drive the
    >>car for at least 26,000km a year to keep the tax break.
    >>
    >>The people I know with novated leases drive *everywhere* simply because
    >>they have to get the k's. Insane ...

    > That's what my ex had, I think. He was so proud. I told him I thought it
    > was stupid, and he was stupid, and I wasn't impressed by a stupid car,
    > why didn't he get a bike instead? (I may have also told him I already
    > knew he had a small penis so he didn't need to prove it like that - yes
    > he was already my ex at the time.)
    >
    > Tam

    Wow. Dont hold back. Mental note not to get on Tams wrong side. Not
    that you are necessarily wrong of course

    Dave

  6. Theo Bekkers

    Theo Bekkers Guest

    Tamyka Bell wrote:

    > That's what my ex had, I think. He was so proud. I told him I thought
    > it was stupid, and he was stupid, and I wasn't impressed by a stupid
    > car, why didn't he get a bike instead? (I may have also told him I
    > already knew he had a small penis so he didn't need to prove it like
    > that - yes he was already my ex at the time.)

    Ouch!

    Theo

  7. Resound

    Resound Guest

    "Tamyka Bell" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > Bleve wrote:
    >>
    >> Is anyone else here amazed by the way novated leases work? My
    >> understanding is that they're basically a tax dodge for high income
    >> earners, that requires that the upperclass welfare recipient drive the
    >> car for at least 26,000km a year to keep the tax break.
    >>
    >> The people I know with novated leases drive *everywhere* simply because
    >> they have to get the k's. Insane ...

    > That's what my ex had, I think. He was so proud. I told him I thought it
    > was stupid, and he was stupid, and I wasn't impressed by a stupid car,
    > why didn't he get a bike instead? (I may have also told him I already
    > knew he had a small penis so he didn't need to prove it like that - yes
    > he was already my ex at the time.)
    >
    > Tam

    Commodore?

  8. SteveA

    SteveA New Member

    Joined:
    Jul 15, 2004
    Messages:
    1,309
    It's due to the way that Fringe Benefits Tax on cars works. There are 2 alternative ways to work out FBT. One is based on actual costs. The other is a nominal approach based on mileage. With the second method, rate of FBT goes down as mileage does up.

    Unfortunately, does not apply to bikes.

    FBTing a car can make it cheaper than owning it and paying for everything privately, but driving a car is still an expensive proposition. And if the employer provides parking, FBT generally has to be paid on that too.

    Bikes do not pay FBT on parking.

    So if I ride and park in my space at work, no FBT. If I drive and park in my space at work, FBT. There is a god after all.

    SteveA

    SteveA

  9. Tamyka Bell

    Tamyka Bell Guest

    Resound wrote:

    > "Tamyka Bell" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]
    > > Bleve wrote:
    > >>
    > >> Is anyone else here amazed by the way novated leases work? My
    > >> understanding is that they're basically a tax dodge for high income
    > >> earners, that requires that the upperclass welfare recipient drive the
    > >> car for at least 26,000km a year to keep the tax break.
    > >>
    > >> The people I know with novated leases drive *everywhere* simply because
    > >> they have to get the k's. Insane ...

    > > That's what my ex had, I think. He was so proud. I told him I thought it
    > > was stupid, and he was stupid, and I wasn't impressed by a stupid car,
    > > why didn't he get a bike instead? (I may have also told him I already
    > > knew he had a small penis so he didn't need to prove it like that - yes
    > > he was already my ex at the time.)
    > >
    > > Tam

    > Commodore?

    No... but close. And hmmph to all you out there who thought I was mean!

    Tam

  10. GPLama

    GPLama Guest

    "Tamyka Bell" wrote in message ...

    >> Commodore?

    > No... but close. And hmmph to all you out there who thought I was mean!

    Phew!

    cheers,
    GPLamadore

  11. Bleve

    Bleve Guest

    SteveA wrote:
    > Bleve Wrote:
    > > Is anyone else here amazed by the way novated leases work? My
    > > understanding is that they're basically a tax dodge for high income
    > > earners, that requires that the upperclass welfare recipient drive the
    > > car for at least 26,000km a year to keep the tax break.
    > >
    > > The people I know with novated leases drive *everywhere* simply because
    > > they have to get the k's. Insane ...

    > It's due to the way that Fringe Benefits Tax on cars works. There are
    > 2 alternative ways to work out FBT. One is based on actual costs. The
    > other is a nominal approach based on mileage. With the second method,
    > rate of FBT goes down as mileage does up.
    >
    > Unfortunately, does not apply to bikes.

    I don't care about tax breaks for bikes, I don't need welfare to ride
    my bike, I just think it's stupid to encourage more driving for the
    sake of a tax break, which is one effect of the novated lease rort.

  12. flyingdutch

    flyingdutch New Member

    Joined:
    Feb 8, 2004
    Messages:
    5,700
    nah, that's just honest :D

    'mean' would be "and you cant push a big ring!"

  13. Resound

    Resound Guest

    "flyingdutch" <[email protected]> wrote in
    message news:[email protected]

    > Tamyka Bell Wrote:
    >>
    >> No... but close. And hmmph to all you out there who thought I was
    >> mean!
    >>
    >> Tam

    > nah, that's just honest :D
    >
    > 'mean' would be "and you cant push a big ring!"

    So many wrong responses spring to mind there...especilly after telling the
    guy he has a small penis.

  14. Tamyka Bell

    Tamyka Bell Guest

    flyingdutch wrote:

    > Tamyka Bell Wrote:
    > >
    > > No... but close. And hmmph to all you out there who thought I was
    > > mean!
    > >
    > > Tam

    > nah, that's just honest :D
    >
    > 'mean' would be "and you cant push a big ring!"

    Hehehe you mean because I don't need to push, I can just spin it?

    Tam

  15. Bleve

    Bleve Guest

    Tamyka Bell wrote:
    > flyingdutch wrote:
    > >
    > > Tamyka Bell Wrote:
    > > >
    > > > No... but close. And hmmph to all you out there who thought I was
    > > > mean!
    > > >
    > > > Tam

    > > nah, that's just honest :D
    > >
    > > 'mean' would be "and you cant push a big ring!"

    > Hehehe you mean because I don't need to push, I can just spin it?

    He means *up* the hill, Tam, not down it :)

  16. Tamyka Bell

    Tamyka Bell Guest

    Bleve wrote:

    > Tamyka Bell wrote:
    > > flyingdutch wrote:

    > > > nah, that's just honest :D
    > > >
    > > > 'mean' would be "and you cant push a big ring!"

    > > Hehehe you mean because I don't need to push, I can just spin it?

    > He means *up* the hill, Tam, not down it :)

    Oh, I thought he meant up a MOUNTAIN! :p *goes back to fantasy land
    where she cycles competently*

    Tam

  17. A5Hi5M

    A5Hi5M Guest

    "Theo Bekkers" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > Tamyka Bell wrote:
    >
    >> That's what my ex had, I think. He was so proud. I told him I thought
    >> it was stupid, and he was stupid, and I wasn't impressed by a stupid
    >> car, why didn't he get a bike instead? (I may have also told him I
    >> already knew he had a small penis so he didn't need to prove it like
    >> that - yes he was already my ex at the time.)

    > Ouch!
    >
    > Theo

    You're hurting because he had a small penis?! ;)

    Ash

  18. It doesnt go just to rich people.

    In QLD it is available to public servants, even those on the lowest level
    wages. Someone earning under 30 grand a year can do it

    "Bleve" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]

    > Is anyone else here amazed by the way novated leases work? My
    > understanding is that they're basically a tax dodge for high income
    > earners, that requires that the upperclass welfare recipient drive the
    > car for at least 26,000km a year to keep the tax break.
    >
    > The people I know with novated leases drive *everywhere* simply because
    > they have to get the k's. Insane ...

  19. Someone Else

    Someone Else Guest

    "Bleve" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]

    > Is anyone else here amazed by the way novated leases work? My
    > understanding is that they're basically a tax dodge for high income
    > earners, that requires that the upperclass welfare recipient drive the
    > car for at least 26,000km a year to keep the tax break.
    >
    > The people I know with novated leases drive *everywhere* simply because
    > they have to get the k's. Insane ...

    Not amazed. It's more to do with Fringe Benefits Tax (FBT), which has been
    around for about 20 years. There are threshholds at 15,000km and 25,000km
    (ie, tax rate decreases), so there is an incentive to drive a few extra kms
    if you're close (but short) of these hurdles.

  20. Euan

    Euan Guest

    fd> can people supply examples of OS tax incentives or the like?

    fd> be a good case study via BV/lobbying gov

    fd> I know people in some states of US who get paid an 'allowance'
    fd> every week if they ride 3+ days per week (think it was
    fd> $10us/week?) Cateye employees get it

    Here's one scheme that's just too sweet for words:

    http://money.guardian.co.uk/tax/story/0,1456,1307166,00.html

    fd> someone mentioned the obviousness* of bike-stuff being a
    fd> equivalent to a CoCar or lappy

    That'd be me.
    --
    Cheers | ~~ [email protected]