How tell model year of bike

Jeff Burton

Guest
Does anybody know how to figure out the model year a mountain bike? I know the color is a major
factor, but where can I go (internet, elsewhere) to link the color with a model year? Specifically,
I am looking for the year of a Specialized Hard Rock Sport that is deep purple with pink writing; I
am fairly certain it is a woman's bike. I'm sure I will want to know the year of other bikes' in the
future so the more comprehensive the resource the better.

I looked at specialized's web site and couldn't find anything, nor could I in the archives of a
bunch of biking groups. Thanks, Jeff

Why would a model care about when my bike was made?

Bill "fends 'em off constantly" S.

"Jeff Burton" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Does anybody know how to figure out the model year a mountain bike? I know the color is a major
> factor, but where can I go (internet, elsewhere) to link the color with a model year?
> Specifically, I am looking for the year of a Specialized Hard Rock Sport that is deep purple with
> pink writing; I am fairly certain it is a woman's bike. I'm sure I will want to know the year of
> other bikes' in the future so the more comprehensive the resource the better.
>
> I looked at specialized's web site and couldn't find anything, nor could I in the archives of a
> bunch of biking groups. Thanks, Jeff

Get the serial number off the bike then e-mail it to Specialized asking them what year is this bike.
Just a thought.

jp

Sorni wrote:
> Why would a model care about when my bike was made?
>
> Bill "fends 'em off constantly" S.

only one answer to this one...

www.nikigudex.com

Jon Bond

> www.nikigudex.com

Gah. Smokin.

--
Phil, Squid-in-Training

"Jonathan Bond" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Sorni wrote:
> > Why would a model care about when my bike was made?
> >
> > Bill "fends 'em off constantly" S.
> >

> only one answer to this one...
>
> www.nikigudex.com
>
> Jon Bond

Right on, now theres an answer to Cannondales problems........ put her in ads.

Dave

On 12 Mar 2003 09:09:23 -0800, [email protected] (Jeff Burton) wrote:

>Does anybody know how to figure out the model year a mountain bike? I know the color is a major
>factor, but where can I go (internet, elsewhere) to link the color with a model year? Specifically,
>I am looking for the year of a Specialized Hard Rock Sport that is deep purple with pink writing; I
>am fairly certain it is a woman's bike. I'm sure I will want to know the year of other bikes' in
>the future so the more comprehensive the resource the better.
>
>I looked at specialized's web site and couldn't find anything, nor could I in the archives of a
>bunch of biking groups. Thanks, Jeff

Lets see you could probably take down the serial number and call Specialized and ask them....just
a thought.

:-]

On 12 Mar 2003 17:28:20 GMT, "Joel" <[email protected]> wrote:

>Get the serial number off the bike then e-mail it to Specialized asking them what year is this
>bike. Just a thought.
>
>jp

I swear I did not read your post before I posted mine.

kind of strange...donechathink?

:-]

> On 12 Mar 2003 17:28:20 GMT, "Joel" <[email protected]> wrote:
>

> >Get the serial number off the bike then e-mail it to Specialized asking
them
> >what year is this bike. Just a thought.
> >
> >jp
>
> I swear I did not read your post before I posted mine.
>
> kind of strange...donechathink?
>
> Peace, Bill The mind serves properly as a window glass rather than as a reflector, that is, the
> mind should give an immediate view instead of an interpretation of the world.
> :-]

Creepy

Joel

Jeff Burton <[email protected]> wrote:
> Does anybody know how to figure out the model year a mountain bike? I know the color is a major
> factor, but where can I go (internet, elsewhere) to link the color with a model year?
> Specifically, I am looking for the year of a Specialized Hard Rock Sport that is deep purple with
> pink writing; I am fairly certain it is a woman's bike. I'm sure I will want to know the year of
> other bikes' in the future so the more comprehensive the resource the better.

Some components have date stamps on them. This is especially true for older components I think.
Diacompe brakes often have a date stamp (like "0784," or a little clock with year and an arrow
pointing to the month) on the back of the caliper or underside of lever. Some cranks have stamps on
the back of the arm. Quite a few quill stems and seatposts have a date stamp on the lower part of
the shaft.

A little known fact is that nearly every Shimano component has a date code. Somewhere there will be
a two letter code like "KI" or "YB", letters about 2 mm high. The first is the year: A is thought to
be 1976, through Y in 2000. I don't know what they did after Z in 2001, so if someone out there has
a 2002-made Shimano bit, find the code and let us know.

See http://www.vintage-trek.com/component_dates.htm.

> Does anybody know how to figure out the model year a mountain bike? I know the color is a major
> factor, but where can I go (internet, elsewhere) to link the color with a model year?
> Specifically, I am looking for the year of a Specialized Hard Rock Sport that is deep purple with
> pink writing; I am fairly certain it is a woman's bike. I'm sure I will want to know the year of
> other bikes' in the future so the more comprehensive the resource the better.

Very easy. Cut out a section of metal from the top tube. (If you don't know where the top tube is,
use this site to help: http://homepage.ntlworld.com/petergregory/bikes/diagram.htm) It is important
to cut a large area to get a statistically accurate sample.

Now, take this sample and bake it in the oven at 450 degrees Fahrenheit for 30 minutes. It may help
to remove the batteries from all household smoke detectors for this test.

Finally, remove the sample from the oven and hold it between your fingers. The age of the bike is
the number of milliseconds you are able to hold the sample without incurring permanent tissue
damage, plus 1900, +- 50 years.

Or - you could email the serial number to the manufacturer - your choice.

Jeff Burton wrote:

> Does anybody know how to figure out the model year a mountain bike? I know the color is a major
> factor, but where can I go (internet, elsewhere) to link the color with a model year?
> Specifically, I am looking for the year of a Specialized Hard Rock Sport that is deep purple with
> pink writing; I am fairly certain it is a woman's bike. I'm sure I will want to know the year of
> other bikes' in the future so the more comprehensive the resource the better.
>
> I looked at specialized's web site and couldn't find anything, nor could I in the archives of a
> bunch of biking groups. Thanks, Jeff

The easiest way to get a general idea is based on the components. A good link for part numbers and
years is: http://www.firstflightbikes.com/shimano.htm

Also check the seat (if it's the original). Often the date is included on the molded plastic. There
will be a circle with JFMAMJJASOND on the outside and an arrow pointing to one of the letters. The
letters are the month, and there is generally a year in the center of the circle.

"John Harlow" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:w5dca.72837$eG2.11570@sccrnsc03...
> > Does anybody know how to figure out the model year a mountain bike? I know the color is a major
> > factor, but where can I go (internet, elsewhere) to link the color with a model year?
> > Specifically, I am looking for the year of a Specialized Hard Rock Sport that is deep purple
> > with pink writing; I am fairly certain it is a woman's bike. I'm sure I will want to know the
> > year of other bikes' in the future so the more comprehensive the resource the better.
>
> Very easy. Cut out a section of metal from the top tube. (If you don't know where the top tube is,
> use this site to help: http://homepage.ntlworld.com/petergregory/bikes/diagram.htm) It is
> important to cut a large area to get a statistically accurate sample.
>
> Now, take this sample and bake it in the oven at 450 degrees Fahrenheit
for
> 30 minutes. It may help to remove the batteries from all household smoke detectors for this test.
>
> Finally, remove the sample from the oven and hold it between your fingers. The age of the bike is
> the number of milliseconds you are able to hold the sample without incurring permanent tissue
> damage, plus 1900, +- 50 years.
>
> Or - you could email the serial number to the manufacturer - your choice.

Used to be a time when you could lean down and look at the date molded onto the taillight lens. ;^)

Mike