How the **** do you win Crits?

AlanZ

Nov 10, 2004
What am i doing wrong i can never get in the right position or contest for the sprint

Please help

AlanZ said:
What am i doing wrong i can never get in the right position or contest for the sprint

Please help
I've found that if you can consistantly stay with the front 5, you have a chance. If you can draft off of the front 3-5 until the sprint great. If anyone tries to break away go with them... It's only 30-50min so go hard the whole time. Good strength and a good anarobic ability are key. If you can pedal through the turns do it. Keep your lines as straight as possible.

At 215lbs crits are my only hope for a win :)

Get on a team that actually wins races. Asked the guys who win how to race. Watch, listen, learn and ride/train like they do. My neighbor has won probably a hundred races or so. While being a humble, nice guy he also says he ALWAYS thinks he is going to win. And he has raced against some big (american Masters) names; Hegg, Thurlow, Bostick, etc.

AlanZ said:

Please help
Staying near the front is the key to having some steam at the end. The pace is too inconsitant at the back and you have to sprint every corner. Once you get in the back, your in deep do do.

My best result was following the advice above. To stay in the top 5 or front third of the pack.

I came 3rd; narrowly pipped at the post after being forced to lead the sprint with 200m to go.

I was then put up a class and in my next race tried to apply the same tactics.

In the next race the pace was not much different, but everybody wanted to be riding 3rd, 4th or 5th. Everytime I got in to those positions people would come from behind and squeeze in at the front.

It was like being on a conveyor belt. I found myself at the baclk of the pack 4 times. Trying to get to the front and stay there was taking all my energy. People kept making short breaks to the front and then slowing down. I gave up with about 1km to go, but held onto the pack, finally worming my way through the tail in the sprint and finishing strongly.

What bugged me with my strong finish was that if I had been able to stay near the front I could have won.

When everybody has the same race plan, you probably have to try something completely different.

Even if it means leading the pack in the early stage at a slow relaxed pace and staying in front for as long as possible and chasing down breakaways from the front.

My heart rate seems more relaxed when I'm leading than when I'm at the back dodging & braking......

Being in the mindset that you are going to win the race, no matter what, gives you a huge mental advantage. If you keep that in mind, you wont let people push you out the way, and you wont hesitate when the moment comes. If you cant sprint, then finish alone. Seriously, if you know your not a sprinter, then take of on either the last lap, or with 5 to go. At the 5 to go mark, there are a lot less peolple willing to work because they all want to save themselves for the sprint, and if you take of at the right time on the last lap nobody will go because their all concerned they wont have the energy for the sprint. Your going to have to work, and its going to hurt. Keep at it and you'll win. Seated attacks are better as well. When you stand the instant reaction is that your trying to break, and then people will try and chase you down. If your seated, people are a little more confused and will think your just trying to get to the front or are just putzing around, and your more likely to get away. Give that a shot.

This is all great advice.

I also find it very helpful to spend some time before the race thinking about your plan. Things always change - but if you have it in your mind that you are going to wait for the bunch gallop at the end - then you are less llikely to waste energy chasing breaks that won't make it, or if you plan to go with 3 laps to go - then have the guts to do it with three laps to go (at least if you get caught you may get written up in the report).

Also - try and find the wheel of the stronger riders (or the ones who usually win) and hang around them. If nothing else - you will start to get the idea of how they do it.

Being able to pedal through corners means you spend less energy getting back up to speed and easier to hold the wheel in front.