How the heck do you get the wetsuit off efficiently?

Discussion in 'Triathlon' started by Angela D. Koch, Jun 27, 2003.

  1. Every time I practice it, I am rolling on the ground and practically breaking my legs trying to get
    the ankles out. I have a QR wetsuit, which I obviously haven't raced in, yet, and proceed to peel it
    down to the waist, which is where I get stuck. The legs don't want to peel down as nicely as the
    torso... help!

    TIA, Angie

    Tags:

  2. "Angela D. Koch" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > Every time I practice it, I am rolling on the ground and practically breaking my legs trying to
    > get the ankles out. I have a QR wetsuit, which
    > obviously haven't raced in, yet, and proceed to peel it down to the waist, which is where I get
    > stuck. The legs don't want to peel down as nicely as the torso... help!

    Go get yourself a bottle of PAM cooking spray. Spray down your legs and the inside of the wetsuit
    before you put it on. That should help quite a bit.

    James

  3. Jim Gosse

    Jim Gosse Guest

    Wet or Dry?

    If you are trying to do this in your living room, the problem could be that you are too dry. I think
    if you actually do a swim in your suit and try to peel it off, you will find it a little easier.

    Personally, I wouldn't be spraying anything from my kitchen into my 500.00 wetsuit. Not to mention
    biking and running for 1 or two hours with cooking oil running down my legs.

    Get back to us and let us know how you make out.

    Jim

  4. "Jim Gosse" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > Personally, I wouldn't be spraying anything from my kitchen into my 500.00 wetsuit.

    PAM is not patroleum based, will not harm neoprene, and is very commonly used by triathletes.

    > Not to mention biking and running for 1 or two hours with cooking oil running down my legs.

    You've obviously never used it or you would know better.

  5. MJuric

    MJuric Guest

    On Fri, 27 Jun 2003 11:02:18 -0500, "James Goddard" <[email protected]> wrote:

    >"Angela D. Koch" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    >> Every time I practice it, I am rolling on the ground and practically breaking my legs trying to
    >> get the ankles out. I have a QR wetsuit, which
    >> obviously haven't raced in, yet, and proceed to peel it down to the waist, which is where I get
    >> stuck. The legs don't want to peel down as nicely as the torso... help!
    >
    >Go get yourself a bottle of PAM cooking spray. Spray down your legs and the inside of the wetsuit
    >before you put it on. That should help quite a bit.
    >
    >James

    I know you already hate me but... I believe Pam voids the warrently on QR. At least thats
    what it said on the tag of the one I was reading yesterday. I Believe they suggest
    Bodyglide. Do you have a QR? I'm in the process of trying to buy a suit and am trying
    several. I rented a QR for a race this weekend and have the same issue as the original
    poster. I've already tried an Aquaman pulsar and had no problems at the calf even without
    lube. Do the QR's get easier to take off as they are used?

    ~Matt

    ~Matt

  6. <MJuric> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > I know you already hate me but...

    Nah I don't hate anyone and I don't hold a grudge. Just got tired of the futility of the effort.

    > I believe Pam voids the warrently on QR.

    Well my wetsuit is an IronMan brand so I'm not familiar with that. Does it mention PAM specificly or
    say something about petrolem based lubricants, which PAM is not? If using PAM would void the warrant
    on my wetsuit I would not buy that wetsuit.

    > I Believe they suggest Bodyglide.

    Bodyglide will work just as well. The reason I recomend PAM is that it is much easer to PAM a larger
    area than to use Bodyglide and it is MUCH cheaper.

    > Do you have a QR? I'm in the process of trying to buy a suit and am trying several. I rented a QR
    > for a race this weekend and have the same issue as the original poster. I've already tried an
    > Aquaman pulsar and had no problems at the calf even without lube. Do the QR's get easier to take
    > off as they are used?

    As stated above, I use an IronMan wetsuit. Personally I have never had any difficulty removing the
    suit. I still use PAM because I want my transitions to be as fast as possible. A little extra
    slick can't hurt. My wife does have more trouble than I getting out of the suit and she swears by
    the stuff.

    James

    P.S. AFAIK IronMan and QR suits are both excellent choices. I would stay away from gimmick suits
    like the piel.

  7. Mike Tennent

    Mike Tennent Guest

    "Angela D. Koch" <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Every time I practice it, I am rolling on the ground and practically breaking my legs trying to get
    >the ankles out. I have a QR wetsuit, which I obviously haven't raced in, yet, and proceed to peel
    >it down to the waist, which is where I get stuck. The legs don't want to peel down as nicely as the
    >torso... help!
    >
    >TIA, Angie

    At an actual race, you'll discover that if you sit down in the shallow water just before exiting,
    with your butt and legs still in the water, the suit will slip right off. The water inside the legs
    is the secret.

    If you have kids and a wading pool (or neighbors with one,) give it a try.

    Mike Tennent "IronPenguin"

  8. MJuric

    MJuric Guest

    On Fri, 27 Jun 2003 12:26:16 -0500, "James Goddard" <[email protected]> wrote:

    ><MJuric> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    >> I know you already hate me but...
    >
    >Nah I don't hate anyone and I don't hold a grudge. Just got tired of the futility of the effort.
    >
    >> I believe Pam voids the warrently on QR.
    >
    >Well my wetsuit is an IronMan brand so I'm not familiar with that. Does it mention PAM specificly
    >or say something about petrolem based lubricants, which PAM is not? If using PAM would void the
    >warrant on my wetsuit I would not buy that wetsuit.

    I believe that it says on the tag, not 100% sure. I know alot of other folks use PAM though.
    I can check when I get home.

    ~Matt

  9. Billx

    Billx Guest

    Angela,

    Ignore all the advice about using PAM or Body Glide to solve your problem. I had a QR suit before
    with the same problem and no amount of lubricant could make it come off my legs. The problem is with
    the QR suit and your body dimensions. I tried on new QR and Ironman suits in varying sizes this year
    and in every instance the Ironman suit peeled off no sweat and the QR suit stuck like glue. There
    are probably other brands besides Ironman that come off easy. Find a store selling other brands and
    try them on for comparison. I think you'll find a suit that strips easy even when dry.

    "Angela D. Koch" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > Every time I practice it, I am rolling on the ground and practically breaking my legs trying to
    > get the ankles out. I have a QR wetsuit, which
    > obviously haven't raced in, yet, and proceed to peel it down to the waist, which is where I get
    > stuck. The legs don't want to peel down as nicely as the torso... help!
    >
    > TIA, Angie

  10. Harold Buck

    Harold Buck Guest

    In article <[email protected]>, MJuric wrote:

    > On Fri, 27 Jun 2003 12:26:16 -0500, "James Goddard" <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    > ><MJuric> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > >> I know you already hate me but...
    > >
    > >Nah I don't hate anyone and I don't hold a grudge. Just got tired of the futility of the effort.
    > >
    > >> I believe Pam voids the warrently on QR.
    > >
    > >Well my wetsuit is an IronMan brand so I'm not familiar with that. Does it mention PAM specificly
    > >or say something about petrolem based lubricants, which PAM is not? If using PAM would void the
    > >warrant on my wetsuit I would not buy that wetsuit.

    What if putting sulphuric acid on the wetsuit voided the warranty? Would you buy *that* wetsuit?

    PAM is bad for wetsuits, so why are you determined to find a wetsuit that allows you to use it?

    --Harold Buck

    - Homer J. Simpson

  11. Jkmsg

    Jkmsg Guest

    Use to have a simular problem... experience helped to speed up the process and a lot of tricks (pam,
    dipping in water, etc) made it easier...

    Then I wised up and bought a Piel. As you exit the water, just pull up on the two zippers and run to
    your bike...period. It will fall off as you run to your bike.

    Joe M

    "Angela D. Koch" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > Every time I practice it, I am rolling on the ground and practically breaking my legs trying to
    > get the ankles out. I have a QR wetsuit, which I obviously haven't raced in, yet, and proceed to
    > peel it down to the waist, which is where I get stuck. The legs don't want to peel down as nicely
    > as the torso... help!
    >
    > TIA, Angie

  12. Harold Buck

    Harold Buck Guest

    In article <[email protected]>, "James Goddard"
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    > "Harold Buck" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    > > PAM is bad for wetsuits, so why are you determined to find a wetsuit that allows you to use it?
    >
    > In what way?

    It supposedly deteriorates the rubber. Bodyglide doesn't.

    --Harold Buck

    - Homer J. Simpson

  13. "Harold Buck" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > In article <[email protected]>, "James Goddard"
    > <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    > > "Harold Buck" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > > news:[email protected]...
    > > > PAM is bad for wetsuits, so why are you determined to find a wetsuit that allows you to
    > > > use it?
    > >
    > > In what way?
    >

    > It supposedly deteriorates the rubber. Bodyglide doesn't.

    You sure you're not mixing up PAM with Vaseline? PAM is not petroleum based, the reason Bodyglide
    was invented was to replace Vaseline which does harm neoprene. If you can post a reference showing
    that vegetable oil hurts neoprene I would really like to see it. It certainly hasn't hurt my
    wetsuit any.

    James

  14. Mjuric

    Mjuric Guest

    On Fri, 27 Jun 2003 21:34:59 GMT, MJuric wrote:

    >On Fri, 27 Jun 2003 12:26:16 -0500, "James Goddard" <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    >><MJuric> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    >>> I know you already hate me but...
    >>
    >>Nah I don't hate anyone and I don't hold a grudge. Just got tired of the futility of the effort.
    >>
    >>> I believe Pam voids the warrently on QR.
    >>
    >>Well my wetsuit is an IronMan brand so I'm not familiar with that. Does it mention PAM specificly
    >>or say something about petrolem based lubricants, which PAM is not? If using PAM would void the
    >>warrant on my wetsuit I would not buy that wetsuit.
    >
    > I believe that it says on the tag, not 100% sure. I know alot of other folks use PAM though.
    > I can check when I get home.
    >
    >~Matt

    If you're interested I stand slightly corrected. It does not say PAM, however it does say
    don't apply cooking spray. PAM would fall under that category.

    ~Matt

  15. Harold Buck

    <[email protected]> wrote:

    > "Harold Buck" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    > > In article <[email protected]>, "James Goddard"
    > > <[email protected]> wrote:
    > >
    > > > "Harold Buck" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > > > news:[email protected]...
    > > >
    > > > In what way?
    > >

    > > It supposedly deteriorates the rubber. Bodyglide doesn't.
    >
    > You sure you're not mixing up PAM with Vaseline? PAM is not petroleum based, the reason Bodyglide
    > was invented was to replace Vaseline which does harm neoprene. If you can post a reference showing
    > that vegetable oil hurts neoprene I would really like to see it. It certainly hasn't hurt my
    > wetsuit any.

    I've seen it in tri magazines and books. It could be an urban legend, I suppose, but I wouldn't risk
    it myself unless I knew for sure it was an urban legend.

    --Harold Buck

    - Homer J. Simpson

  16. "Harold Buck" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > I've seen it in tri magazines and books. It could be an urban legend, I suppose, but I wouldn't
    > risk it myself unless I knew for sure it was an urban legend.

    Well if you come across something again let me know. I haven't seen anything but then again, I've
    never found a Tri magazine worth reading....

  17. Mjuric

    Mjuric Guest

    On Sat, 28 Jun 2003 23:32:18 GMT, "James Goddard" <[email protected]> wrote:

    >"Harold Buck" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    >news:[email protected]...
    >> I've seen it in tri magazines and books. It could be an urban legend, I suppose, but I wouldn't
    >> risk it myself unless I knew for sure it was an urban legend.
    >
    >Well if you come across something again let me know. I haven't seen anything but then again, I've
    >never found a Tri magazine worth reading....

    The exact wording on the QR tag is "DON'T use petroleum based lubricant or cooking spray.
    This makes it impossible to fix your suit" Again this doesn't answer the question of if
    vegitable oil harms the suit. It does seem QR thinks so tjough.

    ~Matt

  18. Billx

    Billx Guest

    One more time. The issue is dimension, size, girth of your limbs versus the wetsuit. Flesh does NOT
    stick to rubber so the concept that putting oil or Body Glide on to fix is absurd! The only thing
    that may stick is the suit upon itself when folded over the legs.

  19. "BillX" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > One more time. The issue is dimension, size, girth of your limbs versus
    the
    > wetsuit. Flesh does NOT stick to rubber so the concept that putting oil
    or
    > Body Glide on to fix is absurd! The only thing that may stick is the suit upon itself when folded
    > over the legs.

    Flesh absolutely does stick to rubber when pulled against each other. If you do not believe this run
    an eraser back and forth across your arm really hard. You're gonna loose skin, eraser or both.

    No one disagrees that a properly fitting wetsuit will come off easily, but not everyone can afford a
    custom suit. The original author already has a suit. I think the option of using a lubricant to get
    it off is far superior to you option of throwing it away and buying another suit.

    James