how the hell could I bend my rear derailleur hanger? and will I destroy a roadbike?

happy_cycling

May 27, 2004
I am just wondering, what are the ways I could bend my rear derailleur hanger? the guy at LBS reckons I'm hard on my bike...It's a four year old low level (SIS and alivio parts) cross country mountain bike with smooth tires, and for years all I've done is ride it on the roads. I don't throw it around, I don't even jump off curbs, I just pedal on good roads, and my rear derailleur hanger has somehow bent. I've had problems with a worn out chain, and my rear derailleur has crashed into the spokes a few times before...is this enough to bend it? The derailleur is shimano alivio.

What I'm really wondering is, how I can do so much damage to it? I am looking to get a roadbike (probably with tiagra parts, 105 if I'm feeling adventurous), but I'm scared shitless that If my mountain bike is this unreliable god knows what I'll do to a roadbike. Or is this all just due to badly adjusted parts or poor quality components? If I got a roadbike that has well adjusted everything and just ride it on the road and avoid potholes, I can't possibly have that many problems can I?

thanks for reading

happy_cycling said:
I am just wondering, what are the ways I could bend my rear derailleur hanger? the guy at LBS reckons I'm hard on my bike...It's a four year old low level (SIS and alivio parts) cross country mountain bike with smooth tires, and for years all I've done is ride it on the roads. I don't throw it around, I don't even jump off curbs, I just pedal on good roads, and my rear derailleur hanger has somehow bent. I've had problems with a worn out chain, and my rear derailleur has crashed into the spokes a few times before...is this enough to bend it? The derailleur is shimano alivio.

What I'm really wondering is, how I can do so much damage to it? I am looking to get a roadbike (probably with tiagra parts, 105 if I'm feeling adventurous), but I'm scared shitless that If my mountain bike is this unreliable god knows what I'll do to a roadbike. Or is this all just due to badly adjusted parts or poor quality components? If I got a roadbike that has well adjusted everything and just ride it on the road and avoid potholes, I can't possibly have that many problems can I?

thanks for reading
The derailer in the spokes is bad adjusment or even bent derailer or hanger. The mtb is not necessarily unreliable. Hangers don't just get bent for no reason or JRA.I've had/ got a bizillion bikes, no bent hangers.And that includes crashes and some fallovers.Find something else to worry about.

boudreaux said:
I've had/ got a bizillion bikes.
You might know a lot about bikes, but you can't hold a candle to a certain fellow over at bikeforums.net ;)

AS was said, the most common cause of a derailluer in the spokes is maladjustment. I've bent ONE hanger on my MTB, and that was because a stick kicked up and got tangled up in the rear, trashing it before I could stop.

On a road bike, I wouldnt really worry about trashing the hanger. Just check your adjustment when you lube up your chain. Road bikes tend to stay in adjusment longer due to them not getting rattled around the trails and such.

That's foo...fool. Or is it Mr. T? In any event, bore-troll I bet you have greasy fingers and one or two rotten teeth and live in a run down shack.
Ain't that right bore-troll?
:D...nice and pearly.
George

biker7 said:
That's foo...fool. Or is it Mr. T? In any event, bore-troll I bet you have greasy fingers and one or two rotten teeth and live in a run down shack.
Ain't that right bore-troll?
:D...nice and pearly.
George
Do you soil yourself as you type this drivel?

LOL.

I saw that catch phrase "Bling-Bling and poseur points. Priceless" and I just knew who it was.:D

So if I switch from a 105 crankset to an ultegra crankset how much faster will I be?:eek:

Poor adjustment and rough shifting can, over time damage a hanger. Also getting sticks etc in the derallieur can damage it.

Of course crashes, mistreatment and any direct impact can also cause damage.

As can not doing bolts etc up tightly enough.

But hangers are generally designed to be weak, to reduce the strain on the more valuable frame and derallieur. Especially after 4 years, if the hanger is bent, throw it out and spend a couple of bucks on a new one.

I have snapped one hanger, and while I couldn't pin down the cause directly, I think it had been weakened in a few crashes, and then the final force that snapped it I think was due to poor, and rough shifting up a short, steep hill (ie shift several gears very quickly while the chain was under high tension).

53-11 said:
LOL.

So if I switch from a 105 crankset to an ultegra crankset how much faster will I be?:eek:
Actually, you will be slower.The ultegra weighs 5 grams more.

biker7 said:
his twin brother Sydney is rude and can't spell either :p
George

George:

Ya reckon Boudreaux's first name is Sydney?! Could be a split personality here riding on a tandem.......

G'day, Cappy

capwater said:
George:

Ya reckon Boudreaux's first name is Sydney?! Could be a split personality here riding on a tandem.......

G'day, Cappy
Get it right girls....It's b oudreaux and s yndey.

Cappy...no coincidence his pen name initals are BS...lol.
I think sydney/bore-troll should go by the handle "goober".
Who loves ya babe?

On a substantive note, Cheesy makes several good points.
Here is an excellent link how to check and/or straigten a bent
DR hanger:

http://www.utahmountainbiking.com/fix/rhanger.htm

HTH,
George

now that is a frightening scenario...if the accomplished Sheldon Brown has a dark alter ego who steps out from the dungeon as bore-troll.
:eek:
George

biker7 said:
now that is a frightening scenario...if the accomplished Sheldon Brown has a dark alter ego who steps out from the dungeon as bore-troll.
:eek:
George

Either way, great info from both sources!