how the hell could I bend my rear derailleur hanger? and will I destroy a roadbike?

biker7 said:
53...its not dignified to suck up to a troll.
George
LOL Georgie.....Don't your think its even less dignified for a pretty genius , be seen as a fool for letting his buttons get pushed and strings pulled by what he describes as a troll? :rolleyes: At least you have great entertainment 'value' Georgie. :p

The pleasure has been all mine :D.
I know you can't fathom pretty and smart because you are neither which contributes to your rage. You see bore-troll...life is a statistical roll of the dice and unfortunately you lost and know that. You wear your resentment in every hateful word you utter. I told you before, your hate speak is a mirror reflection of how you see yourself. And your anger is the inverse of all the love you never felt.
Your Daddy,
George

biker7 said:
You wear your resentment in every hateful word you utter. I told you before, your hate speak is a mirror reflection of how you see yourself. And your anger is the inverse of all the love you never felt.
I don't think he has resentment towards high-end parts, but he knows for all practical purposes they don't do anything.

Plug in Kysrium Elite vs Kysrium SSC SL into that calculator at Analytical cycling.

The SSC SLs make hardly any difference. But new guys think they are going to pick up an extra mph by going to these wheels.

biker7 said:
You see bore-troll...

George, I don't want to get ya all riled up because you seem like the excitable type, but you're kinda starting to fit the definition of an internet troll yourself:

"An Internet troll is a person who sends messages on the Internet hoping to entice other users into angry or fruitless responses".

Let it go, man. Go out and ride.

53-11 said:
The SSC SLs make hardly any difference. But new guys think they are going to pick up an extra mph by going to these wheels.

Did I miss something? I thought this thread was alternately about derailleur hangers and Boudreaux. Anyways, to comment, some folks naively hope to make significant performance gains by springing for fancier gear; others, like yours truly, simply can't resist the allure of newer technologies where budget permits a little indulgence (not often, lately).

There will always be a 'toy' facet to cycling culture; for some of us, it's half the fun. Or maybe a third of the fun.

53-11 said:
I don't think he has resentment towards high-end parts, but he knows for all practical purposes they don't do anything.

Plug in Kysrium Elite vs Kysrium SSC SL into that calculator at Analytical cycling.

But you vastly under estimate the value of the priceless bling and poseur' points. The SLs might even intimidate an otherwise worthy opponent into mental submission right at the start line. :p

boudreaux said:
But you vastly under estimate the value of the priceless bling and poseur' points. The SLs might even intimidate an otherwise worthy opponent into mental submission right at the start line. :p

Don't forget you also ride much faster when wearing a full USPS team kit. ;)

If you ride bling and are fast, I have no problem. If you ride bling and you're slow, well you're gonna be dropped so fast you won't even bother me.

lokstah said:
others, like yours truly, simply can't resist the allure of newer technologies where budget permits a little indulgence (not often, lately).

There will always be a 'toy' facet to cycling culture; for some of us, it's half the fun. Or maybe a third of the fun.
Yeah....I'm the same way. No everybody is so knowledgeable though.

capwater said:
If you ride bling and are fast, I have no problem. If you ride bling and you're slow, well you're gonna be dropped so fast you won't even bother me.
That's not really what I'm talking about.

It's when new guys ask us if buying X wheelset is worth it when they also need Y.

Not to incite a big debate over the bling issue, but to read these comments (they're common comments), you'd think the gear had no purpose but to win races, or improve commute times. Why so utilitarian? Speed/dollar/functionality efficiency would be the overriding factor if our very lives depended on cycling as fast as possible for the least amount of cash. Sounds to me like a cycling nightmare, frankfly.

Thankfully, for most of us, this is purely a hobby, like stamp collecting, soapbox derbies, model rocketry and scrap-booking. So long as the consumer doesn't have grandiose expectations about those fancy carbon rims, his bling-quest has as much validity as the next guy's quest for speed.

lokstah said:
So long as the consumer doesn't have grandiose expectations about those fancy carbon rims, his bling-quest has as much validity as the next guy's quest for speed.
That's the thing. Nobody is knocking the collector/enthusiast here. WE buy stuff all the time in other areas of our life just on looks alone. Nothing wrong with that.

It's just that sometimes marketing hype that leads to grandiose expectations needs to be tempered.

we a little up tight today Cappy? Whatever happened to your support of diversity?..lol. Don't walk the talk 'eh? Let it go brother.
George

Exactly, the anti-bling mentality applied toward automobiles would make things a bit boring... you'd only see Hyundai's and Kia's (horrors! :eek: ). Maybe you'd see an occasional SUV or minivan for people who actually do go offroad or large families. But certainly no Audi's or Lexus', and zero sports cars unless you went to a race.

Apply the same mentality to what we wear, etc...starts to sound Orwellian real fast. Yikes. Think I'll keep lusting after a Calfee Dragonfly w/record.

biker7 said:
Whatever happened to your support of diversity?..lol. Don't walk the talk 'eh? Let it go brother.
George
Right on with the diversity angle Georgie. Every venue needs a fool.

happy_cycling said:
I am just wondering, what are the ways I could bend my rear derailleur hanger?

Here is how I damaged one of mine. Last year I somehow got some kind of 's' shaped hook about 1 foot long made out of 3/8" steel caught in my rear spokes. One end caught my spokes and the other end grabbed my RD. Even though I was only going about 15 mph at the time going up a hill, it pretty much shredded the RD and bent the **** out of the RD hanger. When it grabbed, it pulled the rear wheel off the frame. Scared the **** out of me.

I had to walk 4 miles to the nearest LBS and they had to replace the RD, true the rear wheel, and straighten the RD hanger as best they could. I had to order a new RD hanger from Jamis.

2 weeks later, that bike was destroyed by a car running a stop sign. :mad:

How is that for $hit a$$ luck??

Insider message
"Whats up PC!"

Wow! And if you are still in one piece, lucky to be so. What are you getting next? Jamis makes a very nice bike.
George

I loved the Jamis, but I wanted something in carbon to help absorb the shocks from my beat up body.

I bought a Bianchi XL carbon frame and did a custom build with a Centaur groupo on it. See below