How the Hell?

DirtTurtle

May 17, 2007
Do you stop peaking midweek and peak on raceday. I race A Club, B grade aussie standard, i always seem to peak midweek and feel like ass on the weekend. Basically my training is race sat, sun off or smaller kms (just getting back in2 it, but will do big kms sun when back in2 it), monday, wed, thursday regular kms with tuesdays 2X20's on the trainer. I feel great on wed thursdays for power output. Im scared to push intervals further in the week incase it fatigues me for racing. I just cant work this out, i dont do any ctl tsb watever stuff, i would just appreciate if any1 could advise me of how to set up my training to peak on each weekend (tapering does not work as i dont need to taper for 80% of events, rather keep training hard during the week for gains).

Here's a two-bit theory, which is probably a generalization based on my own experience/suffering.
thumb.gif

I'm not sure you're peaking better during the week, but rather you feel better due to different prep -- that's what happens to me, I reckon.

I feel better on weekly rides than I do for races, coz I never seem to get the perfect warm-up for a race. Even if I ride to a race, a delayed start interupts my warm-up, and it takes almost half the crit for my legs to feel right.

I dunno how some guys can jump straight out there car and start racing without a warm-up, especially a fast criterium.

DirtTurtle said:
Do you stop peaking midweek and peak on raceday. I race A Club, B grade aussie standard, i always seem to peak midweek and feel like ass on the weekend. Basically my training is race sat, sun off or smaller kms (just getting back in2 it, but will do big kms sun when back in2 it), monday, wed, thursday regular kms with tuesdays 2X20's on the trainer. I feel great on wed thursdays for power output. Im scared to push intervals further in the week incase it fatigues me for racing. I just cant work this out, i dont do any ctl tsb watever stuff, i would just appreciate if any1 could advise me of how to set up my training to peak on each weekend (tapering does not work as i dont need to taper for 80% of events, rather keep training hard during the week for gains).
So you race on Saturday and then ride: Sun(sometimes), Mon, Tue, Wed, Thurs and rest Friday before racing again Saturday?

Sounds like a couple of things you could change. First change things up so Thursday is your rest (total rest or easy short spin) and get an openers ride on Friday. Going into a race following a total rest day after four straight days of training and a race is a recipe for blocked up legs and a lousy race.

A five consecutive day block of training and racing isn't an approach I'd take. Everybody's different, but three or four day blocks followed by an easier day work for a lot of folks. It sounds like Tuesday is a good quality day with specific focus, what sort of work do you do on Sun, Mon, Wed and Thursday? Are there specific training goals for those days?

Are you playing a bit of catch up as the season begins or did you build a deep base this past winter (summer down there I suppose)? Basically are you racing your way to fitness? Your comment about building kms on Sunday as the season progresses implies your cramming fitness a bit in the early season. It's tough to build training load and race weekly. Between post race recovery and trying to be fresh for each weekend's race it's difficult to train hard. I'd probably race less frequently like alternate weekends or consider the early season races hard training days and go into them knowing they're gonna hurt.

Based on what you posted I'd think about resting Thursday and doing an openers ride on Friday and see how that goes.

Good luck,
-Dave

@ 531Aussie i have the exact same prob when i start i never feel fully warmed up, lately ive been spinning on the trainer and then a bit of road and still feel ****, take me 50-60% in2 the race before i put out power, but often ive killed myself early getting there.

@ dave a few replies, 1st i think you maybe on2 to something with the thursday rest, with openers. Im fairly new to cycling, and have not really tried this approach as i have always been afraid of being fatigued, when in fact it is suppose to do the opposite. Its only been the last sort of 5-6 months that ive felt and been able to train more like a proper cyclist, rather than simply just putting on my basic cycling muscle etc.

Ive never really done a full season(only been racing a year and a half, i started about november this season (which is very late down here) and been on and off, but this winter after the last couple of months of racing i will be looking to do base work and ride a full season.

I will be working full time shortly, so sunday will have to be long kms at least during the colder months, but as you suggest taking some weekends off racing may be the way to go.

Appreciate the comments guys, really got the brain ticking over planning the next few months out now

DirtTurtle said:
@ 531Aussie i have the exact same prob when i start i never feel fully warmed up, lately ive been spinning on the trainer and then a bit of road and still feel ****, take me 50-60% in2 the race before i put out power, but often ive killed myself early getting there.
Thanks.

Have you got a power meter? Does your power come up when you're properly warmed up, or is it just a feeling?

My 'bad' race scenario is something like this: :)

Even if I ride to a race, the traffic conditions may dictate that I don't get a proper warm up. Then, if I get to the track too late, I can't warm up on the circuit, coz all riders are pulled off before the staggered starts.

So, I try to get a hard warmup in the local side streets, but I panic, coz I fear I might miss the start, so I go to the start line, only to sit around for ten minutes, etc, etc. :p

Boo hoo! :D

531Aussie said:
Thanks.

Have you got a power meter? Does your power come up when you're properly warmed up, or is it just a feeling?

My 'bad' race scenario is something like this: :)

Even if I ride to a race, the traffic conditions may dictate that I don't get a proper warm up. Then, if I get to the track too late, I can't warm up on the circuit, coz all riders are pulled off before the staggered starts.

So, I try to get a hard warmup in the local side streets, but I panic, coz I fear I might miss the start, so I go to the start line, only to sit around for ten minutes, etc, etc. :p

Boo hoo! :D
nope dont have a power meter just perceived effort ie the fact that i feel i can really struggle at a given speed early on, yet later on in the race can motor easily above that point even if im the one out into the wind. Will make sure i do openers for next race, and go out of my way to make sure i at least do something that reasembles a decent warmup. Lets see if that works

DirtTurtle said:
...... perceived effort ie the fact that i feel i can really struggle at a given speed early on, yet later on in the race can motor easily above that point even if im the one out into the wind.
Same here. Drives me nuts. One guy once said to me: "how come you can smash me on Beach Rd, yet you go somewhat missing when you pin a number on?" :p Boo.

I sometimes feel better when i'm riding home.