How to adjust cable tension for Shimano V-brake?

David Pintos

Guest
My Super V has Shimano V-brakes, and the barrel adjuster looks like one piece. Turning it didn't do
anything to the tension (it just moved in and out to the brake lever). Is it somehow locked? If so,
how do I unlock it?

---

David Pintos wrote:

> My Super V has Shimano V-brakes, and the barrel adjuster looks like one piece. Turning it didn't
> do anything to the tension (it just moved in and out to the brake lever). Is it somehow locked? If
> so, how do I unlock it?

If the cable is way to loose then you need more leverage than what is in the adjuster to change
anything, also it may be that the knob you are adjusting is not for the cable tension but to adjust
the lever it self.

Does the cable run throug the adjuster? If so you got the right adjuster and proberly need to
thighten the cable on the brake itself. Loosing the allen bolt, pull the cable away from the
handlebare and thighten the allen bolt again.

Best check the shimano homepage for instructions or get help from a ridng buddy or the local LBS.
Messing with your brakes in the wrong way can cause malfunction and possible accidents!

Kind regards

Bruno