how to align multiple sets of disk wheels

Discussion in 'Mountain Bikes' started by Lennie Garcia, Feb 24, 2004.

  1. I bought a second set of disk wheels with the idea of easily swapping out the wheels for different
    riding conditions. However, I have to adjust the brakes each time I swap the wheels out because the
    two sets of wheels are off a tiny bit which causes disk rub.

    Is it recommended to add shims? Will this cause any problems? How can I workaround this problem so I
    don't have to adjust the brakes for each set of wheels?

    Tags:

  2. "Lennie Garcia" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > I bought a second set of disk wheels with the idea of easily swapping out the wheels for different
    > riding conditions. However, I have to adjust the brakes each time I swap the wheels out because
    > the two sets of wheels are off a tiny bit which causes disk rub.
    >
    > Is it recommended to add shims? Will this cause any problems? How can I workaround this problem so
    > I don't have to adjust the brakes for each set
    of
    > wheels?

    As I also have several sets of wheels I gave this idea a thought. My conclusion was that it would be
    too much trouble. Instead I became proficient at centering my Hayes brakes. Not worth it to mess
    with shims. After you've swapped wheels a few times it will get easier, Did I mention that I use a
    work stand? It probably helps a lot. I turn the bike over and loosen the calipers. Remove the
    wheels, pop in the new set. Lock em up. Now into the work stand and put a strip of aluminum can on
    each side of the rotor. Squeeze and hold the brakes and tighten the calipers. Some variation of this
    will get you ready to go without much fuss. Keep the shims cleaned with Isopropyl alcohol.

    --
    DTW .../\.../\.../\...

    I've spent most of my money on mountain biking and windsurfing.
    The rest I've just wasted.

  3. "Lennie Garcia" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > I bought a second set of disk wheels with the idea of easily swapping out the wheels for different
    > riding conditions. However, I have to adjust the brakes each time I swap the wheels out because
    > the two sets of wheels are off a tiny bit which causes disk rub.
    >
    > Is it recommended to add shims? Will this cause any problems? How can I workaround this problem so
    > I don't have to adjust the brakes for each set
    of
    > wheels?

    You can shim the discs. I was doing this for a while with a set of hefty offroad wheels and another
    set with semi-slicks on. It works, but never seemed to be spot on for either wheels. I eventually
    fixed the problem by adding a large metal adaptor to the semi-slick wheels in the shape of a second
    hand Merlin frame.

    Steve.

  4. Shaun Rimmer

    Shaun Rimmer Guest

    "spademan o---[) *" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...

    > "Lennie Garcia" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > > I bought a second set of disk wheels with the idea of easily swapping
    out
    > > the wheels for different riding conditions. However, I have to adjust
    the
    > > brakes each time I swap the wheels out because the two sets of wheels
    are
    > > off a tiny bit which causes disk rub.
    > >
    > > Is it recommended to add shims? Will this cause any problems? How can
    > > workaround this problem so I don't have to adjust the brakes for each
    set
    > of
    > > wheels?
    >
    > You can shim the discs. I was doing this for a while with a set of hefty offroad wheels and
    > another set with semi-slicks on. It works, but never seemed to be spot on for either wheels. I
    > eventually fixed the problem by adding a large metal adaptor to the semi-slick wheels in the shape
    > of a second hand Merlin frame.

    Cunny funt ',;~}~

    Shaun aRe

  5. Onefred

    Onefred Guest

    "Lennie Garcia" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > I bought a second set of disk wheels with the idea of easily swapping out the wheels for different
    > riding conditions. However, I have to adjust the brakes each time I swap the wheels out because
    > the two sets of wheels are off a tiny bit which causes disk rub.
    >
    > Is it recommended to add shims? Will this cause any problems? How can I workaround this problem so
    > I don't have to adjust the brakes for each set
    of
    > wheels?

    Firstly, you must make sure that the rotors on all the wheelsets are broken
    in. Secondly, you must make sure that all of the races are equally adjusted (slightly loose is
    best, obviously). Thirdly, you must make sure that you equally clamp the QR skewer on all
    wheelsets.

    I finally took the time to properly adjust all the wheelsets for my mtn bike and what do ya know,
    the rotors line up everytime now!! Before, they were giving me grief and I threw in the towel and
    let my non-racing wheelsets rub the pads. Not a problem any more.

    In short, fine tune your racing wheels and then take the time to do the same to your other wheelsets
    and everything works out well.

    Dave