How to avoid the dirt strip on the back of your clothes?

SunBurnt

Jun 12, 2004
I am considering commuting to work daily on a racing bike, depending on weather, which I may or may not get a dirt strip on the back of my shirt.

However, it will be a hassle to bring another shirt along if I ride.
Where can you stash the other shirt on the bike?

Are there any portable mud guards around?

I am also trying to design and make a retractable/foldable one :D

SunBurnt said:
I am considering commuting to work daily on a racing bike, depending on weather, which I may or may not get a dirt strip on the back of my shirt.

However, it will be a hassle to bring another shirt along if I ride.
Where can you stash the other shirt on the bike?

Are there any portable mud guards around?

I am also trying to design and make a retractable/foldable one :D

fenders invented many years ago

fushman said:
Seriously, there are lightweight fenders available. They look kinda goofy, but not nearly as goofy as a dirt strip up your shirt at work. H

Having done a little commuting in incliment weather myself, I would suggest you look into a waterproof backpack, and carry a complete change of clothes. Not just your shirt will get dirty.

fushman said:

And increasingly hard to find fenders that will fit on a bike with proper clearance, particularly if you have a parcel rack. Goodness knows I've undergone enough kicks at trying to find ones that will work.

I commute to my office job most days a week, some wet weather (winter here right now).
I just pack all my work gear in a backpack & use riding gear for the commute.
Advantage is that getting dirty (or sweaty if it's a long stretch or if really you're keen) isn't a prob as you change when you get to the office.
Sure it helps if you've got somewhere to change & maybe showers etc, but I've been commuting from various job sites over the years & it's taught me to be inventive.

I also run a rear fender in wet going but that is not the end of it. You'll get staturated & gritty from head to foot, when it rains or the roads are wet you'll cop it.

After a while you'll learn to appreciate that funky smelly of damp riding gear for the commute home... mmm.....

Marx SS said:
I commute to my office job most days a week, some wet weather (winter here right now).
I just pack all my work gear in a backpack & use riding gear for the commute.
Advantage is that getting dirty (or sweaty if it's a long stretch or if really you're keen) isn't a prob as you change when you get to the office.
Sure it helps if you've got somewhere to change & maybe showers etc, but I've been commuting from various job sites over the years & it's taught me to be inventive.

I also run a rear fender in wet going but that is not the end of it. You'll get staturated & gritty from head to foot, when it rains or the roads are wet you'll cop it.

After a while you'll learn to appreciate that funky smelly of damp riding gear for the commute home... mmm.....

I guess I can always ride slower if the road is wet,
but on the other hand, it'll be difficult to do that,
since I'll be really tempted to go fast on racing bikes :D :D

Brunswick_kate said:
And increasingly hard to find fenders that will fit on a bike with proper clearance, particularly if you have a parcel rack. Goodness knows I've undergone enough kicks at trying to find ones that will work.

go to sheldon browns site i dont like you so im not gonna post the link

fushman said:
go to sheldon browns site i dont like you so im not gonna post the link

OH MY GOD....YOU have NO idea how crushed I am. I am devastated...bereft. I am wounded

Limerick..did you see that...he doesn't like me...

Yeah, sunshine, thanks for playing. Good effort. ;)

Brunswick_kate said:
... particularly if you have a parcel rack.

If you already have a parcel rack quite a lot of your problem would be solved if you simply strap a piece of whatever on the underside of the parcel rack.