how to bard?

i'd like to experiment with barding a chicken before roasting it. i'm
not likely to find caul fat or fat back. i suppose i'll use american
bacon. is bacon usually blanched before being used for barding?

is there another fat i should know about for barding purposes?

Josh

[email protected] wrote:
> i'd like to experiment with barding a chicken before roasting it.

i'm
> not likely to find caul fat or fat back. i suppose i'll use american
> bacon. is bacon usually blanched before being used for barding?
>
> is there another fat i should know about for barding purposes?

Bacon is usually blanched for a few minutes before being used for
barding, especially if it is smoked bacon. Another thing that is
sometimes possible is to slice fat from the meat you're going to cook
and then spread it/tie it onto the top.

-aem

[email protected] wrote:
> i'd like to experiment with barding a chicken before roasting it.

{snip]

It's quite rare to bard a chicken. The technique is usually for a
denser kind of meat. If your roast chicken is too dry, you may just be
overcooking it. Or, if it's a true roaster over, say, five pounds, you
might cook it breast side down for half the time and then turn it over
to finish.

-aem

"aem" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> [email protected] wrote:
>> i'd like to experiment with barding a chicken before roasting it.

> i'm
>> not likely to find caul fat or fat back. i suppose i'll use american
>> bacon. is bacon usually blanched before being used for barding?
>>
>> is there another fat i should know about for barding purposes?

> Bacon is usually blanched for a few minutes before being used for
> barding, especially if it is smoked bacon. Another thing that is
> sometimes possible is to slice fat from the meat you're going to cook
> and then spread it/tie it onto the top.
>
> -aem

Isn't is "lard" -threading thin strips of fat thru the meat. Or is bard
another technique?

--
Peter Aitken (trying to resist making a Shakespeare joke)

Remove the **** from my email address before using.

On Tue 22 Feb 2005 02:53:01p, Peter Aitken wrote in rec.food.cooking:

> "aem" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>>
>> [email protected] wrote:
>>> i'd like to experiment with barding a chicken before roasting it. i'm
>>> not likely to find caul fat or fat back. i suppose i'll use american
>>> bacon. is bacon usually blanched before being used for barding?
>>>
>>> is there another fat i should know about for barding purposes?

>> Bacon is usually blanched for a few minutes before being used for
>> barding, especially if it is smoked bacon. Another thing that is
>> sometimes possible is to slice fat from the meat you're going to cook
>> and then spread it/tie it onto the top.
>>
>> -aem
>>

> Isn't is "lard" -threading thin strips of fat thru the meat. Or is bard
> another technique?

Larding is threading thin strips of fat thru the meat. Barding is laying
thin layers of fat on the outside surface of the meat.

Wayne

"Wayne Boatwright" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> On Tue 22 Feb 2005 02:53:01p, Peter Aitken wrote in rec.food.cooking:
>
>> "aem" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>> news:[email protected]...

>>> Bacon is usually blanched for a few minutes before being used for
>>> barding, especially if it is smoked bacon. Another thing that is
>>> sometimes possible is to slice fat from the meat you're going to cook
>>> and then spread it/tie it onto the top.
>>>
>>> -aem
>>>

>> Isn't is "lard" -threading thin strips of fat thru the meat. Or is bard
>> another technique?

> Larding is threading thin strips of fat thru the meat. Barding is laying
> thin layers of fat on the outside surface of the meat.
>
> Wayne

Thanks - never heard of that before.

--
Peter Aitken

Remove the **** from my email address before using.

"Peter Aitken" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> "Wayne Boatwright" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>> On Tue 22 Feb 2005 02:53:01p, Peter Aitken wrote in rec.food.cooking:
>>
>>> "aem" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>>> news:[email protected]...

>>> Isn't is "lard" -threading thin strips of fat thru the meat. Or is bard
>>> another technique?

>> Larding is threading thin strips of fat thru the meat. Barding is laying
>> thin layers of fat on the outside surface of the meat.
>>
>> Wayne
>>

> Thanks - never heard of that before.
>

> --
> Peter Aitken

Ok, now I have to ask. What is the reasoning behind both larding and
barding? Adding more flavor?

Me stupid. Need know.

Bret

On Tue 22 Feb 2005 07:09:28p, Maverick wrote in rec.food.cooking:

> "Peter Aitken" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>> "Wayne Boatwright" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>> news:[email protected]...

>>> Larding is threading thin strips of fat thru the meat. Barding is
>>> laying thin layers of fat on the outside surface of the meat.
>>>
>>> Wayne
>>>

>> Thanks - never heard of that before.
>>

>> --
>> Peter Aitken

> Ok, now I have to ask. What is the reasoning behind both larding and
> barding? Adding more flavor?
>
> Me stupid. Need know.
>
> Bret

It does add flavor, but the main reason is to add fat/moisture and
tenderness to an otherwise dryer/less tender (usually) cut of meat. It's
often used with game because the meat is so lean that it tends to dry out
in the oven.

Wayne

"Wayne Boatwright" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> On Tue 22 Feb 2005 07:09:28p, Maverick wrote in rec.food.cooking:
>
>> "Peter Aitken" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>> news:[email protected]...
>>> "Wayne Boatwright" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>>> news:[email protected]...

>>> Thanks - never heard of that before.
>>>

>>> --
>>> Peter Aitken

>> Ok, now I have to ask. What is the reasoning behind both larding and
>> barding? Adding more flavor?
>>
>> Me stupid. Need know.
>>
>> Bret

> It does add flavor, but the main reason is to add fat/moisture and
> tenderness to an otherwise dryer/less tender (usually) cut of meat. It's
> often used with game because the meat is so lean that it tends to dry out
> in the oven.
>
> Wayne

Thanks for clearing that up for me, Wayne.

I keep reading of different "cooking-actions" on here and some I know and
some I don't. It's pleasant to back a nice reply and not a flame for it
too! That's a bonus!

Bret

On Tue 22 Feb 2005 08:36:15p, Maverick wrote in rec.food.cooking:

> "Wayne Boatwright" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>> On Tue 22 Feb 2005 07:09:28p, Maverick wrote in rec.food.cooking:
>>
>>> "Peter Aitken" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>>> news:[email protected]...

>>> Ok, now I have to ask. What is the reasoning behind both larding and
>>> barding? Adding more flavor?
>>>
>>> Me stupid. Need know.
>>>
>>> Bret

>> It does add flavor, but the main reason is to add fat/moisture and
>> tenderness to an otherwise dryer/less tender (usually) cut of meat.
>> It's often used with game because the meat is so lean that it tends to
>> dry out in the oven.
>>
>> Wayne

> Thanks for clearing that up for me, Wayne.
>
> I keep reading of different "cooking-actions" on here and some I know
> and some I don't. It's pleasant to back a nice reply and not a flame
> for it too! That's a bonus!
>
> Bret

You're entirely welcome, Bret, and thank you. BTW, the term used for the
thin strips of bacon or fat is "lardoon". The fat used for barding may or
may not have come from the same animal. It's usually tied in place with
cooking twine.

Cheers,
Wayne