How to become "Pro"

Discussion in 'Road Cycling' started by David Sommervil, Jan 23, 2003.

  1. By John Lieswyn - From Racelisting today
    ___

    Please tell me how to become a professional road racer. How do you move up to pro status and compete
    at different categories? I am a cat 5 racer and love it. I just want to know how to move up in
    categories and fulfill my dream of becoming a professional. Thank you very much for all of your time
    and good luck with your training and career!

    Shaun K. Riebl New York

    This is probably one of the most asked questions I get, although it's usually from Juniors and Cat
    1's. Go to www.usacycling.org. Click on USCF rulebook. You must have Adobe Acrobat Reader (most
    everyone does) to view
    it. Page 16 defines qualifying races, and the points you get for placings and experience in these
    races. Moving up through the categories is accomplished by accumulating points and experience.
    Once you are a Cat 1, then you can start worrying about how to become a pro! It takes anywhere
    from six months (Tom Danielson) to more than 7 years (me!) of racing full time to garner the
    reputation, resume, and eventually the contract. How did Tom Danielson do it so fast? He was
    just a Cat 3 when somebody saw how amazing this guy could go uphill, and finagled his way into
    the Pro1/2 field at Tour of the Gila, New Mexico. Not a huge race, but you don't get top 3 in a
    Pro1/2 stage there without having some serious talent. He smoked a bunch of paid pros up the
    climb to Mogollon and that was that. Another rare example of someone who seemingly circumvented
    the years of hard work at the Cat 2 and then 1 level is Svein Tuft. In just a couple short
    seasons this guy came out of nowhere to win a stage of the only UCI stage race in North America
    (at the time), the Tour de Beauce. Paid contract assured!

    Let's assume that you're now a Cat 1. There are a half dozen tier 3 pro teams in the USA, fielding
    less than a hundred total pros. Of that number, I'm guessing about 40 are "really" pro in that they
    are receiving a salary (not a stipend, but enough to pay a mortgage, buy a car, and pay health
    insurance). If you just want the lifestyle, maybe you can be one of those "pros" who isn't getting a
    real salary. You'd probably need savings, a patron (wife/parents), or super low living costs. How do
    you go from Cat 1 to the top 40 in the US and a salary? Win NRC level races or do something like Tom
    or Svein Tuft have done.

    Hope this answers your question, and remember that you don't have to be Lance to have fun with the
    sport. It's a lot of hard work but at the same time it's a very rewarding sport for those who have
    an optimistic personality!

    John Lieswyn

    --
    Its all clear to me now.....

    David Sommerville http://davidsommerville.com [email protected] [email protected]

    Tags:

  2. Bill Lloyd

    Bill Lloyd Guest

    These days, also, being young (under 27) helps tremendously due to the way the Pro system works.

    If you're a 24 year old Cat 2 and there are a bunch of 33 year old Cat 1's who want to go "pro"
    you've bought yourself a ride on an up and coming Division 3 team :p

    news:[email protected]...