How to "break" a KMC chain?

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by TomYoung, Sep 24, 2005.

  1. TomYoung

    TomYoung Guest

    Hi all:

    Can't quite get a straight answer on this so I thought I'd ask here. I
    have a KMC chain. The plates are marked "KMC", "Narrow", "Z" and
    "Z-44". There doesn't appear to be a master link. All the pins, save
    one, look exactly the same; the one "odd" one is a black pin.

    So, how does one seperate the chain to remove it from the bike?

    1)In the old-fashioned way of partially pushing out a pin and pushing
    the pin back in to re-assemble? If so, is the black pin to me avoided
    in this exercise, or is that "the one" pin you *can* partially push
    out?

    2)Completely pushing out a pin and then using a special replacement pin
    like on Shimano chains? Is that what that one black link on the KMC
    chain is? Will Shimano replacement pins work?

    TIA.

    Tom Young

    Tags:

  2. I push the pin out only once, to get the correct chain length. Then I
    replace one of the outer links with a quick-release link like those made
    by SRAM (Formerly "SuperLink")

    Don't worry if it's a different brand than the chain. If it's the right
    width, 7, 8, 9 speed whatever, it'll work fine.

    And will leave your chain much less susceptible to unwanted link
    seperation due to improper reassembly.

    - -

    "May you have the winds at your back,
    And a really low gear for the hills!"

    Chris'Z Corner
    http://www.geocities.com/czcorner

  3. richard

    richard Guest

    Generally, that black pin is one you should NEVER push out. Those who
    assembled your bike probably shortened a chain and used a replacement
    pin (Shimano-style) to re-assemble. It's a wee bit bigger than the
    others. Driving that one out will further weaken the chain, even if you
    use a Shimano pin.

    Drive out any other pin, then either remove the outer link altogether
    and replac with a "master link", or use a Shimano pin.