rec.bicycles.marketplace · Public discussion

How to build a $2,000 Madone? Comments??

Started by Email address hidden · · Last activity · 2 posts · 170 views

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
rec.bicycles.marketplace
Published
27 May 2005
Last activity
30 May 2005
Original author
Email address hidden
Posts
2
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
170
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–2 of 2
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. I was trying to figure out a way to build an inexpensive Madone.

    Why not buy this Motobecane for $1099 with Ultegra 10-speed group and
    then stip ALL the components and install on a Madone frame?

    http://bikesdirect.com/products/motobecane/grand_sprint_carb05.htm

    Only problem is finding a Madone frame for less than a thousand.

    Any ideas? Comments? Can we make it happen?

  2. In article <[email hidden]>,

    Quoted message said:

    I was trying to figure out a way to build an inexpensive Madone.

    Why not buy this Motobecane for $1099 with Ultegra 10-speed group and
    then stip ALL the components and install on a Madone frame?

    http://bikesdirect.com/products/motobecane/grand_sprint_carb05.htm

    Only problem is finding a Madone frame for less than a thousand.

    Any ideas? Comments? Can we make it happen?

    Well...The trick is getting a Madone frame for a thousand dollars, eh? I
    mean, you could also make a $1200 Madone if you could get the frame for
    $101, but that's only slightly more likely than getting it for $1000.

    The bike you've singled out is an excellent deal, though: is there a
    particular reason you want to change the frame?

    You can probably get a Trek 5900 frame on eBay for somewhere close to
    your price range. That's probably the best route to the sub-$2000 bike
    of your dreams.

    Also, the Motobecane frame will have a small but non-zero value, so you
    can re-sell that on eBay at the end.

    I just built up a rather remarkable bike out of stuff I found on the
    internet: 1500g Fetish Cycles frame including a Time fork, some old
    9-speed Dura-Ace cranks and front derailer, and then various bits and
    pieces of Campy Veloce 9-speed. I added my current 1500g wheels, various
    odds and sods from my parts pile, and voila: a cheap, capable crit
    weapon for about C$900, or something like $700 gringo dollars.

    -RjC.

    --
    Ryan Cousineau [email hidden] http://www.wiredcola.com/
    "I don't want kids who are thinking about going into mathematics
    to think that they have to take drugs to succeed." -Paul Erdos

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.