How to change gear cable

Mark

Guest
Hi,

Can anyone tell me how to change a gear cable on a Trek Hybrid? The
shifter is a two lever type (rapidfire?). There is no slot or hole
that I can see to remove it from.

I have tried googling for the answer but I could not find anything.

TIA, Mark

Mark said the following on 23/08/2006 08:54:
> Hi,
>
> Can anyone tell me how to change a gear cable on a Trek Hybrid? The
> shifter is a two lever type (rapidfire?). There is no slot or hole
> that I can see to remove it from.

If you go on to the Shimano website, you can download instructions for
most of their stuff. If it is Rapidfire, that is on there somewhere, as
is the similar EZ-Fire.

Start at http://cycle.shimano-eu.com/ and work your way the Technical
Documents tab. I do find that the search box is pretty useless though.
if you can't find it on the Europe site, sometimes the Australia or
USA site has a bit more.

--
Paul Boyd
http://www.paul-boyd.co.uk/

Mark wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Can anyone tell me how to change a gear cable on a Trek Hybrid? The
> shifter is a two lever type (rapidfire?). There is no slot or hole
> that I can see to remove it from.
>
> I have tried googling for the answer but I could not find anything.
>
> TIA, Mark

Grab the inner wire and pull. Keep klicking away untill no more cable
appears. Push, somewhere just opposite the cableadjuster the head of the
innercable will appear through a small hole. Later models might have a
cover which you'll have to remove first

--
---
Marten Gerritsen

INFOapestaartjeM-GINEERINGpuntNL
www.m-gineering.nl

On Wed, 23 Aug 2006 09:27:24 +0100, Paul Boyd <[email protected]> wrote:

>Mark said the following on 23/08/2006 08:54:
>> Hi,
>>
>> Can anyone tell me how to change a gear cable on a Trek Hybrid? The
>> shifter is a two lever type (rapidfire?). There is no slot or hole
>> that I can see to remove it from.

>If you go on to the Shimano website, you can download instructions for
>most of their stuff. If it is Rapidfire, that is on there somewhere, as
>is the similar EZ-Fire.
>
>Start at http://cycle.shimano-eu.com/ and work your way the Technical
>Documents tab. I do find that the search box is pretty useless though.
> if you can't find it on the Europe site, sometimes the Australia or
>USA site has a bit more.

Thanks for the response to my post.

I must admit I have never had any success with the Shimano web sites.
I have tried several times. I have just tried again with the
following results:

I navigated to the Technical Documents and selected the Altus shifter.
I get a list of products but none of them are clickable (except for an
exploded view of a twist type shifter). The US site
does not list the Altus at all and I can't find any Technical
documents on the Australian site.

Can anyone tell me how to get the information, please?

For example see page
http://cycle.shimano-eu.com/catalog/global/techdocs/list.jsp?FOLDER<>folder_id=2534374302036269
or http://makeashorterlink.com/?Z16353D9D

TIA, Mark

Mark said the following on 23/08/2006 10:08:

> I must admit I have never had any success with the Shimano web sites.
> I have tried several times. I have just tried again with the
> following results:

Ah - Altus! I have a Shimano CD at home (came with an MTB mag a month
or so ago) so I'll have a look to see if the info is on there when I get
home tonight.

--
Paul Boyd
http://www.paul-boyd.co.uk/

On Wed, 23 Aug 2006 10:29:57 +0100, Paul Boyd <[email protected]> wrote:

>Mark said the following on 23/08/2006 10:08:
>
>> I must admit I have never had any success with the Shimano web sites.
>> I have tried several times. I have just tried again with the
>> following results:

>Ah - Altus! I have a Shimano CD at home (came with an MTB mag a month
>or so ago) so I'll have a look to see if the info is on there when I get
>home tonight.

Great. I would appreciate this.

Mark

On 23/08/2006 12:32, Mark said,

> Great. I would appreciate this.

The Altus shifters are on the CD, but they are the twist-grip ones. I
think the ones you want might be these:

http://www.pbhome.plus.com/public/ebaypics/0027A_EN.pdf

I'm sure I've broken some horrible copyright law in doing that!

If that isn't the one, you should be able to find a Shimano part number
on the shifter somewhere (the link is for ST-EF50, for instance)

--
Paul Boyd
http://www.paul-boyd.co.uk/

On Wed, 23 Aug 2006 17:10:07 +0100, Paul Boyd <[email protected]>
wrote:

>On 23/08/2006 12:32, Mark said,
>
>> Great. I would appreciate this.

>The Altus shifters are on the CD, but they are the twist-grip ones. I
>think the ones you want might be these:
>
>http://www.pbhome.plus.com/public/ebaypics/0027A_EN.pdf
>
>I'm sure I've broken some horrible copyright law in doing that!
>
>If that isn't the one, you should be able to find a Shimano part number
>on the shifter somewhere (the link is for ST-EF50, for instance)

Thanks for this. I think I have enough to go on now.

(I'm not sure whether to take the bike to a LBS since it needs a new
chain too and possibly other components as well)

Regards,
Mark