How to change gear when standing?

in message <[email protected]>,
[email protected] ('[email protected]') wrote:

> RonSonic wrote:
>> On Tue, 05 Sep 2006 20:36:32 -0600, Raptor <[email protected]>
>> wrote:

>> >I rode bikes outdoors forever. Climbing, I either sat and ground
>> >away, or stood and "sprinted." I think it was the moderate resistance
>> >that did the trick more than the horizontal indoor bike. I was able
>> >to work on the technique for long minutes without gassing myself.
>> >Muscles I wasn't used to using had to get used (and complained), but
>> >it was worth it.

>> Riding off road, either cross or mountain bike you get used to
>> standing to pedal at moderate torque settings.

> Why stand when you can sit?

Because you like your **** and don't want it beaten to pulp? Because you
need to be able to move your weight around easily to balance sudden
movements as rocks roll under your wheels?

IME even on a full suspension bike tricky technical stuff is best tackled
standing.

/-\ You have discovered a security flaw in a Microsoft product. You
|-| can report this issue to our security team. Would you like to
| | * Be completely ignored (default)?
| | * Receive a form email full of platitudes about how much we care?
\_/ * Spend hours helping us fix this problem on your own phone bill?

On 6 Sep 2006 22:07:58 -0700, [email protected] wrote:

>RonSonic wrote:

>> >I rode bikes outdoors forever. Climbing, I either sat and ground away,
>> >or stood and "sprinted." I think it was the moderate resistance that did
>> >the trick more than the horizontal indoor bike. I was able to work on
>> >the technique for long minutes without gassing myself. Muscles I wasn't
>> >used to using had to get used (and complained), but it was worth it.

>> Riding off road, either cross or mountain bike you get used to standing to pedal
>> at moderate torque settings.
>>

>Why stand when you can sit?
>- Robert Millar

Because you ride over sticks and rocks and the saddle will whack your little
bits.

Ron

RonSonic wrote:
> Because you ride over sticks and rocks and the saddle will whack your little
> bits.

Don't worry, I've got big bits.

Artoi wrote:
> Any insider tips on how to change RD gear when standing on the pedal and
> charging up the hill? Each time I stood up, it doesn't take too many
> revolutions before there's insufficient resistance for one to stay
> standing. Can and should gears be changed while one is still standing on
> the pedals? Any tips on riding up-hill would be much appreciated.

I'm going to guess you have an older bike. Simply because the shifting
on newer bikes makes shifting while standing very easy. The only
accomodation you may need to make is to ease up on the pedals for a
second or two until the shift is completed. You can thank Shimano wit
their weird tooth shapes for that. Most other companies followed their
lead. Now no decent maker seels straight symetrical chainrings or
cassette cogs.
Alex