How to check for Frame damage?

dannyfrankszzz

New Member
Mar 8, 2003
Just wondering what the best ways to check for frame damage are.

I know of two methods:

Using a bit of thread - wrap it around the rear dropouts and then around the front of the head tube, and then use a measuring device to see if there is any bias one way or the other.

Another that I heard of was to see whether the paintwork was creased on the rear part of the head tube.

Even if there appears to be no damage, how sure can one be that the frame is ok after it's taken a hefty whack.

Thanks.

dannyfrankszzz wrote:

> Even if there appears to be no damage, how sure can one be that the
> frame is ok after it's taken a hefty whack.

Depends how sure you want to be.

For a metal frame a look for creased paint would be a good start.

For a proper look, you'd have to measure the angles etc I guess.

For a carbon frame, just send it to the makers

--
Arthur Clune