How to choose a Quick release?

Feb 6, 2014
Hello,folks.

Recently, I want to change a new bike skewer for wheels. My friends recommend three bike skewers to me, including Carbon skewer,Alloy Skewer, and Titanium skewer. I don't know how to choose? I just a bicycle amateur. The following pic is my bike:

Originally Posted by daniel1990
I'm happy with carbon skewer. I have a another question, http://www.shop-yishunbike.com is your site?
@daniel1990 we would prefer it if you didn't register multiple accounts to talk to yourself. You're welcome to participate in the forums discussions as long as you don't spam or create fake discussions with between your usernames.

Originally Posted by steve

@daniel1990 we would prefer it if you didn't register multiple accounts to talk to yourself. You're welcome to participate in the forums discussions as long as you don't spam or create fake discussions with between your usernames.
No respect for the customer at all... Unless pretending to be a customer of a shop online is the way advertisment is done in China. It looks to me like that they are actively trying to "phish" somebody in a purchase, not by facts but by creating "fake" positive impressions or something like that.

Do they even think that is good-natured advertisment or are they actually thinking "he he I am gonna "phish" these forum members with my fake accounts"?...
confused.png

I was in a shop once that was claiming to sell gold watches. The watches were hideous fakes. When I went inside there was nobody there but the sellers. The moment I walked in, about 15 people appeared out of nowhere pretending to admire and shop the "products". I left. Kinda spooky...
confused.png

When it comes to quick release skewers, you can have cheap, you can have secure, you can have reliable, or you can have light, but only two. For secure and reliable, closed-cam skewers are the only style that can hold a rear wheel securely in a horizontal dropout and keep the lubrication in and the dirt out. Shimano makes the best closed cam skewers that are widely available. They come in various models and lengths. They all work well. The expensive ones are lighter and a little smoother.

By the way, Shimano issued a recall notice on these things. It's dated July 12, 2006. It's safe to assume they've corrected the problem by now and the defective units are off dealers' shelves.

Reactions: daniel1990
OBC, your statement reminds me of an old favorite quote I heard at an LBS: "light, cheap, strong.....pick any two".

BTW, my DT Swiss wheels have "odd" skewers which have to be unscrewed a turn or more after the QR lever is released. The lever only releases the lock on the left hand dropout, the threads still lock the right side. When I got them, thought it was a pain and almost put in some old skewers. But it really only takes another second or two to release or install, just a quick single turn of the open lever does it.

Originally Posted by oldbobcat
When it comes to quick release skewers, you can have cheap, you can have secure, you can have reliable, or you can have light, but only two. For secure and reliable, closed-cam skewers are the only style that can hold a rear wheel securely in a horizontal dropout and keep the lubrication in and the dirt out. Shimano makes the best closed cam skewers that are widely available. They come in various models and lengths. They all work well. The expensive ones are lighter and a little smoother.

By the way, Shimano issued a recall notice on these things. It's dated July 12, 2006. It's safe to assume they've corrected the problem by now and the defective units are off dealers' shelves.
Most things in life are like this bro, say for a service you might have at your home or business (internet, webhosting, cell phone, accountant etc) - cheap, fast, reliable: pick two.

Originally Posted by dhk2
BTW, my DT Swiss wheels have "odd" skewers which have to be unscrewed a turn or more after the QR lever is released. The lever only releases the lock on the left hand dropout, the threads still lock the right side. When I got them, thought it was a pain and almost put in some old skewers. But it really only takes another second or two to release or install, just a quick single turn of the open lever does it.
Ja, I'm familiar with those guys. I never worked with them long enough to get used to them so I'll take your word.

I got a quick lesson in the importance of secure skewers when I threw a newer open-cam device on the back wheel of an old bike with horizontal dropouts. Accelerating from a red light, I pulled the wheel out of line and the tire hit the chainstay hard enough to make me think I hit the brake.