How To Clean Drivetrain

TrekGuy

Oct 29, 2006
How do you clean your road bike drivetrain and how often do you do it.
-Thanks

Buy a chain cleaner. Less than $20 online. Use a solvent that won't kill you.

I usually wash my chain when it looks like there's a bit of grit/dust on it, but I have only done this twice over a year and a half.

People clean their chains b/n every 100km to never. Pick a reasonable number in between.

I will prob catch sh#t for this but I use brake cleaner. You can get it at auto parts stores. you dont even have to use a brush it just cleans everything off. Just remember to relube.

djk202020 said:
I will prob catch sh#t for this but I use brake cleaner. You can get it at auto parts stores. you dont even have to use a brush it just cleans everything off. Just remember to relube.

Yup, toss some of that sh#t my way cuz I use a Gatorade bottle and gasoline. Unhook your FD, drop in yer chain and shake it like a Polaroid picture. Cheapest redneck chain cleaner on the market!

Once a week, I spend 5-10 minutes putting Pro Link on my chain and then wiping off the excess. The application of Pro Link cleans the chain. Chain's happy, and I'm happy.

alienator said:
Once a week, I spend 5-10 minutes putting Pro Link on my chain and then wiping off the excess. The application of Pro Link cleans the chain. Chain's happy, and I'm happy.
So when do you actually clean the chain? :)

barbieri chain cleaner and fluid

takes about 90 seconds once every month or two, depends on weather conditions that I ride in

I clean maybe once every 200 mi, lube often. I found a cheap brush (for golf clubs) that really works for cleaning the casset and the cogs on the derailer (have no flippin clue the correct term). I finally broke down and bought a chain cleaner and I'm happy I did. My dad actually takes the chain off, puts in in a bottle of degreaser and shakes it around until it's clean :eek: . I keep telling him that he's going to pull out all of the factory lubing, but then again he only cleans his bike once a year:D .

OoAmericanGirl said:
I clean maybe once every 200 mi, lube often. I found a cheap brush (for golf clubs) that really works for cleaning the casset and the cogs on the derailer (have no flippin clue the correct term). I finally broke down and bought a chain cleaner and I'm happy I did. My dad actually takes the chain off, puts in in a bottle of degreaser and shakes it around until it's clean :eek: . I keep telling him that he's going to pull out all of the factory lubing, but then again he only cleans his bike once a year:D .

Factory lubing? Is there really such a thing? Doesn't it get worn out or off anyway? I'm so confused.

capwater said:
When it's dirty. Not being a smartazz, but it's as simple as that.
My earlier comment was specifically directed to Alienator's post. When does he actually do a full degrease clean of his chain? Unless capwater is another ID of Alienator?

sogood said:
My earlier comment was specifically directed to Alienator's post. When does he actually do a full degrease clean of his chain? Unless capwater is another ID of Alienator?

I do it when it's way dirty, which almost never happens. My Pro Link tx keeps the chain clean and oiled. It easily passes a close visual inspection. Many people "clean" their chains this way, and just as many people are getting very long lives out of their chains. Note that when I do my Pro Link tx, the chain ends up dripping Pro Link a bit; then the cranks get turned for a while; and finally the chain is wiped down to remove excess. Presto chango: clean, oiled chain.

alienator said:
I do it when it's way dirty, which almost never happens. My Pro Link tx keeps the chain clean and oiled. It easily passes a close visual inspection. Many people "clean" their chains this way, and just as many people are getting very long lives out of their chains. Note that when I do my Pro Link tx, the chain ends up dripping Pro Link a bit; then the cranks get turned for a while; and finally the chain is wiped down to remove excess. Presto chango: clean, oiled chain.
Very interesting approach and ProLink sounded like an interesting product.

OoAmericanGirl said:
I keep telling him that he's going to pull out all of the factory lubing, but then again he only cleans his bike once a year:D .
Every time you clean your chain with solvent, or apply any oil, you are washing out the factory grease. Many people get rid of it before even fitting a new chain. Whatever you do, it'd all be gone within a few months. No matter, that's what you're oiling it for.

sogood said:
Very interesting approach and ProLink sounded like an interesting product.
I used a similar product, called "Krytech", which is a "dry" teflon-containing lubricant. I don't recall ever having to clean the chain while using it. I've since switched to Prolink (Cheeky Transport in Newtown stock it).
Given that I can buy a DA/XTR chain on ebay for A$45-55, it just isn't worth my time to haul the chain off, shake it in a bottle, wash it under the tap, bake it in the oven, refit the chain and then spend 10 minutes washing my hands and wiping the floor. It's not even a given that doing all this extends chain life when you're using a "dry" lubricant.

artemidorus said:
I used a similar product, called "Krytech", which is a "dry" teflon-containing lubricant. I don't recall ever having to clean the chain while using it. I've since switched to Prolink (Cheeky Transport in Newtown stock it).
Thanks for the pointer on a local stockist. I'll give it a go when my present spray-on stuff runs out.

I use mineral spirits (kerosene/diesel fuel) and a paintbrush to clean the chain and sprockets. First, I use a plastic container (like a large CoolWhip container) about 1/3 full. The chain at the rear derailleur can be submersed into the liquid and spun backwards. This takes all the grime off the chain. Then I coat the chain with White Lightening. I do this usually after one to three rides, depending on how much grime is on the chain. About every third time I use a spray cleaner/conditioner before the wax lube.