How To Clean Drivetrain

The best way to clean a chain is to take it off the bike. Buy a connex link for your chain. You will be able to remove the chain by hand using no tools.

nyracer said:
The best way to clean a chain is to take it off the bike. Buy a connex link for your chain. You will be able to remove the chain by hand using no tools.
Have you ever measured the chain length when there's a removeable link included in the segment? It's always longer than the rest. And given that wear is related to out of spec chains, it's logical to say that these links would give you extra wears.

capwater said:
Yup, toss some of that sh#t my way cuz I use a Gatorade bottle and gasoline. Unhook your FD, drop in yer chain and shake it like a Polaroid picture. Cheapest redneck chain cleaner on the market!

:D If I didn't have a chain cleaning kit...that's what I'd be using!!!

alienator said:
Once a week, I spend 5-10 minutes putting Pro Link on my chain and then wiping off the excess. The application of Pro Link cleans the chain. Chain's happy, and I'm happy.

+1

I used to view cleaning & lubing as two separate processes; the former involved one of those Rube Goldberg machines with the wheels & rotating scrubby brushes & the degreaser etc. PIA & messy to boot.

Ever since I started using ProLink as both a lube and a cleaner, I save a lot of time even though I'm now cleaning and lubing more often!

xxamr_corpxx said:
WD40 in the barberi cleaner followed by 2 washes with methylated spirits.

Good or bad?
Bad.

WD40 has been widely recognized as being a bad chain lubricant and shouldn't touch the chains at all.

sogood said:
Bad.

WD40 has been widely recognized as being a bad chain lubricant and shouldn't touch the chains at all.
WD40 spray is messy since most of it doesn't get into the bushings where it is actually needed, but ....methylated spirits? Isn't that the green stuff used to soak auto stuff in to "boil" off the grease and fuel deposits? If so, think it would be very corrosive on hardened steel plates of the chain.

Agree Prolink or any other good lube is enough. Taking the chain off the bike to soak it in solvent may make it look shiny, but I don't believe it does anything to contribute to chain life. A chain cleaner machine with citrus detergent is great to make the chain shiny for special events, but a wipe down with a clean rag is all it really needs.

Note, above is my current theory on chain maintenance. Realize this is one of the most emotional subjects in cycling, and don't expect to convince anyone to change their rituals. All experienced cyclists know our method is the best :)