How to completely waterproof myself... especially my FEET!

AmpedCycle

Dec 29, 2004
I just went out and raided the pearl izumi outlet, buying all sorts of wet weather gear. Here's what I got:
Barrier jacket
AMFIB tights
AMFIB shoe covers
shell glove
Skull cap
Thing is, I went out to test the waterproofness of all this stuff today, and got soaked. My legs, ass, parts of my jacket, and my FEET got drenched. How do I stop this nonsense? Especially, if nothing else, I need to waterproof my shoes.
Ideas, anyone?

AmpedCycle said:
I just went out and raided the pearl izumi outlet, buying all sorts of wet weather gear. Here's what I got:
Barrier jacket
AMFIB tights
AMFIB shoe covers
shell glove
Skull cap
Thing is, I went out to test the waterproofness of all this stuff today, and got soaked. My legs, ass, parts of my jacket, and my FEET got drenched. How do I stop this nonsense? Especially, if nothing else, I need to waterproof my shoes.
Ideas, anyone?
These guys are the king of waterproof cycling gear:

http://www.burley.com/products/raingear/default.html

I don't have their pants (but I'm getting them), but the jackets and booties are superb. Check 'em out.

AmpedCycle said:
Barrier jacket
AMFIB tights
AMFIB shoe covers
shell glove
Skull cap
Ideas, anyone?
First of all, if you don't have fenders, you are wasting your money on any raingear.
Gotta have the fenders - and mud flaps on the front fender - if you want to keep your feet from getting soaked. No fenders - fuggedaboudit.

These guys are the king of waterproof cycling gear:

http://www.burley.com/products/raingear/default.html

I don't have their pants (but I'm getting them), but the jackets and booties are superb. Check 'em out.

You also need a waterproof cover for your helmet - the outside of your helmet.

Problem is, even if you succeed in completely sealing yourself from outside moisture, you'll soak yourself from the inside--by sweating.

You can sweat a liter or more an hour. Try pouring a liter of water all over yourself and then putting on your raingear and expect it to keep you dry.

Bob

AmpedCycle said:
Barrier jacket
AMFIB tights
AMFIB shoe covers
shell glove
Skull cap
Ideas, anyone?
the problem is you didn't buy waterproof stuff. pearl izumi AMFIB tights and shoe covers aren't waterproof. AMFIB will shed some water. If you want pearl izumi gear that is waterproof, then find items with "eVent" tag on them. for pearl izumi jackets, they are the Trifecta or channel jackets (i'm sure some other models that aren't listed on PZ's website). I haven't tried the PZ's "WxB" tagged gear, but that is also supposed to provide more waterproofness as well.

their toester booties are made out of neoprene which is waterproof. I like neoprene for booties. another option is to get goretex socks to go over your socks in your shoes, but that will make your shoes still get wet, even though your feet won't. you can also get neoprene socks as well.

if you want waterproof gear, get something with goretex. if you sweat alot, goretex isn't the best answer, but it is breathable unlike polyurethane. there are other barrier materials like Hyvent which work great in downpours and is much more breathable than goretex.

AmpedCycle said:
Barrier jacket
AMFIB tights
AMFIB shoe covers
shell glove
Skull cap
Ideas, anyone?
Water runs down the legs and into the shoe. Ya need a barrier to stop the water... kinda like gaiters hikers use. Just how heavy of a rain were you out in??

It was a medium rain for 30 miles. I noticed that, too... water ran down my legs first and into the shoe.
What about a can of waterproof spray? I've seen the stuff work wonders, before...
What I'm hoping is that I don't have to avoid bad weather completely, and still ride when the conditions don't look so great.
I see other riders out there, though... What do you guys do?

triguy98 said:
Water runs down the legs and into the shoe. Ya need a barrier to stop the water... kinda like gaiters hikers use. Just how heavy of a rain were you out in??

AmpedCycle said:
It was a medium rain for 30 miles. I noticed that, too... water ran down my legs first and into the shoe.
What about a can of waterproof spray? I've seen the stuff work wonders, before...
What I'm hoping is that I don't have to avoid bad weather completely, and still ride when the conditions don't look so great.
I see other riders out there, though... What do you guys do?

Fenders - keeps a lot of water and muck out of your shorts and shoes - also keeps the mud and grit off of the people you ride with. He who has no fenders rides at the back!
upper body - thermal undershirt, regular shirt, soft shell rain jacket
lower body - warm tights and neoprene booties - neither of which is water proof, but both are very warm even when wet.
beanie and gloves
I worry much more about staying warm than staying perfectly dry. I have a gortex rain jacket and it doesn't really do much for me. I've stopped wearing it in favor of the softshell which lets more moisture out so in the end I stay more dry.

if water is running in the booties, then put the tights over the booties.

as far as the sprays are concerned, they work to a point, and not in consistent rain. the problem is more with contact from inside. just think of a nylon tent, it can stand rain, but if you touch the inside of the fabric it will leak at that point.

fenders don't protect you from rain coming down.

goretex is breathable to a point, but is excellent in rain. there are other, more breathable membranes out there that do really well in rain (i mentioned before "hyvent"). don't mistake goretex products as providing warmth though. it will keep you dry, but if you are naked underneath, you are gonna be very cold. if you are going to wear a goretex jacket, i wouldn't recommend wearing very much underneath if you are going to be riding hard. a thin or medium polypro underneath will work great.

neoprene is waterproof; however, as it isn't breathable, you will percipitation built up inside because of it.

wearing a regular cotton t-shirt or anything cotton when working out in the cold or inbetween a waterproof or windproof materials is not a good idea. cotton doesn't dissipate perspiration, retains water, and is cold when wet.

I agree with several posters above: fenders are a big help for both water and grit. Go without if you have the option of canceling for rain. But, if you need to ride in the wet, fenders are a priority. Neoprene booties are a big help as well. Also consider that humans are amazingly waterproof. So, a fall-back position is dressing so that even if you do get wet, you don't get cold.

Bobby Lex said:
Problem is, even if you succeed in completely sealing yourself from outside moisture, you'll soak yourself from the inside--by sweating.

You can sweat a liter or more an hour. Try pouring a liter of water all over yourself and then putting on your raingear and expect it to keep you dry.

Bob
This is why I really like the Burley rain jackets. They have a very nice, large, zipped vents that are positioned so that rain does not get it, but you can vent off your sweat. Very well thought out.

Also, these jackets are made specifically for biking - the back goes down extra long to make sure your butt gets covered. Most jackets are not made for someone that is in a bent over position, but the Burleys are.

Eden,
I was looking at a Gortex jacket the other Day and was considering buying one...it is un-lined...I live in SoCal and never really go out when it's actually raining but sometimes get caught in it...a torrential down-pour last time, I have a Plastic rain Jacket which is OK because it stops the cold wind, but as someone else pointed out, you sweat like mad and end up being just as wet, but they do keep you warm(er)...
Also, it looks like the Gortex Jacket is thin enough to roll up and put in my Jersey Pocket..another good thing about the Plastic one, plus they come in yellow or Orange..good to be seen....

But I'd be really gratefull if you would take a little time to let me know what you don't like about them...and if you've found something better...

Thanks in advance!!

Eden said:
I worry much more about staying warm than staying perfectly dry. I have a gortex rain jacket and it doesn't really do much for me. I've stopped wearing it in favor of the softshell which lets more moisture out so in the end I stay more dry.

Jaguar27 said:
Eden,
I was looking at a Gortex jacket the other Day and was considering buying one...it is un-lined...I live in SoCal and never really go out when it's actually raining but sometimes get caught in it...a torrential down-pour last time, I have a Plastic rain Jacket which is OK because it stops the cold wind, but as someone else pointed out, you sweat like mad and end up being just as wet, but they do keep you warm(er)...
Also, it looks like the Gortex Jacket is thin enough to roll up and put in my Jersey Pocket..another good thing about the Plastic one, plus they come in yellow or Orange..good to be seen....

But I'd be really gratefull if you would take a little time to let me know what you don't like about them...and if you've found something better...

Thanks in advance!!

I live up in Seattle so it rarely gets really cold here (ha- of course as I say this we are in our second week of 30's and low 40's - ok ok thats not too cold but for here...) We do however usually get a lot of chilly rain and I go out in whatever weather there is. I got the soft shell (its an REI bike specific one) last fall for cold dry weather because I didn't have anything that was long sleeved and warm. Well, the first time I wore the softshell it absolutely poured and I was totally impressed at how dry I actually stayed. The sleeves soaked through because they have this extra breathable band that runs around the top, but everything else stayed nice and dry and toasty. On a similar ride with the breathable rain jacket I got so soaked from my own sweat that I may as well have not been wearing it. Sure they block wind, but the more plasticy jackets are noisey and they stick to me anywhere that I sweat so I get that cold clammy feeling.
summary :p
soft shell -pros- warm even when wet, very breathable, comfy to wear- move nicely with your body more like a shirt, useful when cold but not raining too,-cons- not really all that stuffable - if I wear it I have to keep it on, because it does not fit in my pocket, not brightly colored, but does have reflecty strips, longer time to dry if it does get wet.
breathable rain jacket -pros- easier to stuff, usually bright colors for better visibility in bad conditions.-cons- sweat box effect even with pit zips wide open, not very warm - clammy cold feeling, crinkely and stiff and catches a lot of wind.
Usually in the summer if it rains, I just buck up and get wet, but I suppose if I knew that it was going to rain and I knew that I was going to be out in it the whole day, I would wear the gortex jacket. The soft shell would be way way to hot.

Thanks very much eden...I'm originally from England and I can't believe that now when it dips below 50* I'm freezing! I guess I'm acclimatized to the SoCal climate now..it's our...erm.."winter" now so I need to get another jacket, so you've helped a lot!!

I have one Jacket which isn't stuffable, as you say, so I roll it up when I get hot with the Sleeves sticking out and tie it around my waist...don't laugh.

I also have a long sleeve Descente Jersey which is lined, it's brilliant in the cold...but it's not water proof...

If someone could invent a Cycling jacket that would keep water out completely, let just the right amount of air in at all times they'd make a fortune...

Thanks again!!

Eden said:
I live up in Seattle so it rarely gets really cold here (ha- of course as I say this we are in our second week of 30's and low 40's - ok ok thats not too cold but for here...) We do however usually get a lot of chilly rain and I go out in whatever weather there is. I got the soft shell (its an REI bike specific one) last fall for cold dry weather because I didn't have anything that was long sleeved and warm. Well, the first time I wore the softshell it absolutely poured and I was totally impressed at how dry I actually stayed. The sleeves soaked through because they have this extra breathable band that runs around the top, but everything else stayed nice and dry and toasty. On a similar ride with the breathable rain jacket I got so soaked from my own sweat that I may as well have not been wearing it. Sure they block wind, but the more plasticy jackets are noisey and they stick to me anywhere that I sweat so I get that cold clammy feeling.
summary :p
soft shell -pros- warm even when wet, very breathable, comfy to wear- move nicely with your body more like a shirt, useful when cold but not raining too,-cons- not really all that stuffable - if I wear it I have to keep it on, because it does not fit in my pocket, not brightly colored, but does have reflecty strips, longer time to dry if it does get wet.
breathable rain jacket -pros- easier to stuff, usually bright colors for better visibility in bad conditions.-cons- sweat box effect even with pit zips wide open, not very warm - clammy cold feeling, crinkely and stiff and catches a lot of wind.
Usually in the summer if it rains, I just buck up and get wet, but I suppose if I knew that it was going to rain and I knew that I was going to be out in it the whole day, I would wear the gortex jacket. The soft shell would be way way to hot.

All the posts in this thread have valuable information. I also chime in on fenders being a great help. I live in northern California and the only thing that will keep me inside is lightning. The main thing is polyproplyene against the skin for it's wicking properties, never cotton. Breatheable fabric layers that can be taken off. A Cycling-specific jacket that is stuffable and has a long tail. Skull cap that covers my ears. Goggles that help protect the face or even a balaklava (thin one specifically for cycling and goes under the helmet easily). I also wear thin insulated winter gloves instead of cycling gloves.

My aim is to keep spraying rain off my body. Getting wet is no problem. Temperature control is key. When cycling I generate heat so it has to be vented out in spite of how cold it may be outside. Riding creates a wind chill on my face so covering it is key for my personal comfort. Bottom line is I have learned to dress to stay warm and relatively dry. Getting wet is not a problem of itself since I will change out of cycling gear no matter what anyway.

I recently purchased some Northwave Fahrenheit Winter Road Shoes (there is a MTB version too).

They are stunning, for 15 years I suffered cold feet - not anymore and I still wear normal summer socks!

In wet rides my feet remain dry.

Jaguar27 said:
I was looking at a Gortex jacket the other Day and was considering buying one...let me know what you don't like about them...and if you've found something better...

The key to being a happy consumer is to realize the limitations of the materials, and for the stuff being used for cycling/running etc it's all about striking a balance between breathability and waterproofness. I sweat easily and for me Gore-Tex simply doesn't ventilate sufficiently on its own. Some semi-waterproof stuff like Sympatex works a little better, but then water can find its way in instead. These days I'm not too picky about the actual material anymore, as long as there are sizeable zippered vents at the front and/or in the armpits. The bigggest advantage that I find with Gore-Tex is that if you're not exerting yourself too badly you can wear your jacket all day long without experiencing that clammy feeling that comes with the non-breathing gear. But once you start sweating you have to deal with THAT in a different manner.