How to connect the Polar S710i to the computer!!!!



thaag

New Member
Apr 8, 2004
11
0
0
44
Does anybody know if the polar watch S 710i can operate with other irDA USB devices than the Polar USB Interface? My ir device Tekram IR-410W registrates the watch only once a while, and when it does, the Polar Precision Performance program can't seem to find the watch.. Am I makeing any sense here? The drivers are updated, and so is the Polar PP program.. I'm using Win XP.. Even installed XP up again..

What to do!!!???? The watch is brand new... :(

Thomas
 

zerokoo0l

New Member
Aug 31, 2003
62
0
0
Originally posted by thaag
Does anybody know if the polar watch S 710i can operate with other irDA USB devices than the Polar USB Interface? My ir device Tekram IR-410W registrates the watch only once a while, and when it does, the Polar Precision Performance program can't seem to find the watch.. Am I makeing any sense here? The drivers are updated, and so is the Polar PP program.. I'm using Win XP.. Even installed XP up again..

What to do!!!???? The watch is brand new... :(

Thomas

In my experience with a 720i you have to have the Polar IR device and even than it is a bit quirky when it comes to maintaining a connection while data is exchanged. Polar should be doing a far better job with this by now and also should be supporting the Mac. In my opinion as a stand alone HRM the 720/710i is a great product, as a computer I think it is pretty nice as well but when it comes to the communications and data transfer portion of it I think this company just doesnt care about doing things better.
 

gkein

New Member
Oct 13, 2003
1
0
0
Originally posted by thaag
Does anybody know if the polar watch S 710i can operate with other irDA USB devices than the Polar USB Interface? My ir device Tekram IR-410W registrates the watch only once a while, and when it does, the Polar Precision Performance program can't seem to find the watch.. Am I makeing any sense here? The drivers are updated, and so is the Polar PP program.. I'm using Win XP.. Even installed XP up again..

What to do!!!???? The watch is brand new... :(

Thomas

I have a 720 and had similar intermittent connection problems with my old laptop (IBM Thinkpad T30). I ended up buying the Polar USB interface to fix it, but now I have a T40 I find I don't need it. So my conclusion is that it is more a function of the ir device than the Polar FWIW.
 

thaag

New Member
Apr 8, 2004
11
0
0
44
Thanks for the answers.. Then I am going to get the Polar Interface and see how it goes.

Stupid of Polar to make an IR beam that does not connect well with other then their own devices!

Thomas
 

rek

New Member
Aug 31, 2002
1,190
0
0
42
The serial port version of the Polar IRIF rarely if ever seems to have any problems. Sometimes "old school" just works. ;)

It seems as though 90% of the Polar connectivity issues people have involve USB IR readers in some way, be it Polar's own or others.
 

thaag

New Member
Apr 8, 2004
11
0
0
44
Originally posted by rek
The serial port version of the Polar IRIF rarely if ever seems to have any problems. Sometimes "old school" just works. ;)

It seems as though 90% of the Polar connectivity issues people have involve USB IR readers in some way, be it Polar's own or others.

Thanks for the tip, rek! Then I going for the serial. Better with slow and safe connection, rather than fast and "none" connection!

Thomas
 

rek

New Member
Aug 31, 2002
1,190
0
0
42
I wouldn't expect the USB to be any faster, the IR link from the watch to the IRIF would be the data bottleneck. There isn't really much data to transmit, and it takes a good few seconds for it to beam across..

The USB one would be useful though if you were on a laptop or a newer computer that might not have a serial port. But in general serial port configuration is pretty hard to mess up.

BTW just wait for your Polar to become 100 times more useful with the data link. The software is excellent.
 

drewjc

New Member
Jun 5, 2002
327
0
0
40
I have also had problems connecting my polar 720i to my IBM thinkpad R30 with the computer's internal IR port. I have decided to buy the polar IR uplink so that i get the full use of my new watch which by the way is excellent (i dont even have the cadence or power output extras). Hopefully this will cure the problem. The strange thing is that the computer will pick up the watch but when the polar software is started it wont recognise the watch.........very confusing.
 

thaag

New Member
Apr 8, 2004
11
0
0
44
Originally posted by drewjc
The strange thing is that the computer will pick up the watch but when the polar software is started it wont recognise the watch.........very confusing.

I know!! Frustrating is what it is!! I have spend the last week trying to figure it out! Been into every setting on the computer! Even the bios! Think Polar has made a "lock" setting on their watches? Just so people has to buy their product!

Well, I'm going for that serial anyway! Thanks for all the answers again!
 

drewjc

New Member
Jun 5, 2002
327
0
0
40
I think i have just figured it out! it certainly fixed my problem anyway. If u havent already cured yours try opening the software and going to the options menu and then down to preferences. Click the hardware tab and change the IR communication port to IrDA. Mine was set on the default COM 1 and wouldnt read from the IR port on my computer. i changed it and it is working now! Hope this helps.
 

thaag

New Member
Apr 8, 2004
11
0
0
44
Originally posted by drewjc
I think i have just figured it out! it certainly fixed my problem anyway. If u havent already cured yours try opening the software and going to the options menu and then down to preferences. Click the hardware tab and change the IR communication port to IrDA. Mine was set on the default COM 1 and wouldnt read from the IR port on my computer. i changed it and it is working now! Hope this helps.

Thats not it. Talked to Polar over the phone, and they said that there had been some problems with the usb, and the only usb device that worked was their own.
I bought a serial irda (not Polar) and it's working perfect (witch Polar said it would).

A GREAT tool this watch and program!
 

trp2004

New Member
Sep 27, 2004
1
0
0
gkein said:
I have a 720 and had similar intermittent connection problems with my old laptop (IBM Thinkpad T30). I ended up buying the Polar USB interface to fix it, but now I have a T40 I find I don't need it. So my conclusion is that it is more a function of the ir device than the Polar FWIW.
Hi. I have a polar 710i and an ibm t30. any recs on how to link up? thanks!